991 vs 997 in the flesh

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 05:10 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
+1
While the GTS is a nice car, i'd feel pretty crappy if i'd bought one recently.
Financially, I do agree with you. However, that might be the best 911 to buy in the coming months (outside of GT3).

991 is disappointing in so many fronts, it basically is NOT an enthusiast car anymore, it's a very capable sports GT car meant for people who wanna buy it for show, it's their first luxury car purchase, and probably never bother tracking or even opening up the hood. Different demographic.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:30 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Financially, I do agree with you. However, that might be the best 911 to buy in the coming months (outside of GT3).

991 is disappointing in so many fronts, it basically is NOT an enthusiast car anymore, it's a very capable sports GT car meant for people who wanna buy it for show, it's their first luxury car purchase, and probably never bother tracking or even opening up the hood. Different demographic.
Can you define what you mean by enthusiast car?
Old 02-07-2012, 05:35 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JD911
356 guys look down their noses at long hoods
3.2 Carrera guys sneer at mid-years
993 guys mock the 964
997 guys can't stand the 996
997.2 guys feel sorry for the 997.1

The progression continues...
So true.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:06 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76

Really? Personally I found it more capable than the 997 on the track...

Yes, it has more GT characteristics, however IMO it has not given up any of the sports car characteristics (I had felt differently until getting behind the wheel and driving both the 991 and 997 back-to-back).
Old 02-07-2012, 06:07 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'm sorry, but that's just silly.....
I agree with you Mike, it does still look like Carrera... BUT, I can't help but to think this new Carrera is meant for a totally different demographic, with totally different goals.

It's still a magnificant sports car, BUT the sporty part of Carrera (agility, track ready, ease of maintenance) have taken a backseat to the luxury, comfort, ease of drive, fuel economy and larger size.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:13 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sapman
Can you define what you mean by enthusiast car?
A buyer that cares about performance, sportiness, tracking, maintenance, upgrades, which pads to use, steering feel of the car, nimbleness, can drive a stick shift, etc... MORE than how easy it is to drive, comfort, luxury, if it has iPod connectivity, how many buttons is there to press, ventilated seats, cup holders, fuel economy, etc...

Basically, most of us here are considered enthusiasts, we do care about dynamics of the car, while majority of new buyers are NOT, and Porsche has designed the car to cater to those folks needs as opposed to ours. Do you think a soccer mom who's gonna buy the 991 to show off on her hood cares about HOW difficult an oil change is?!
Old 02-07-2012, 06:17 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But even the "dynamics" of the new car appear to be superior.

So what's your point, again?
Old 02-07-2012, 06:20 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BSL
Really? Personally I found it more capable than the 997 on the track...

Yes, it has more GT characteristics, however IMO it has not given up any of the sports car characteristics (I had felt differently until getting behind the wheel and driving both the 991 and 997 back-to-back).
Did you drive it on track?

It sure has better dynamics based on reviews, and that's welcome... BUT, for instance, I change my oil 2-3 times a season when tracking, main reason is that it is fairly cost effective way to ensure my engine holds up fine... with this new ridicolous oil change procedure, I will probably stay away from 991 for track purposes as cost/effort of doing so just is not worth it.

Also, when a car is easier to drive, it's actually less fun. For instance, Boxster is definitely easier to drive at the limit than 911, but I've had a few people with Cayman and Boxsters that switches back to 911, due to lack of fun while pushing the car. It's not always about last tenth of performance gain, it's about how does the car make you feel getting there, and to me, so far, no car has been close to 911 on that front and 991 has taken it a notch back by becoming more GT.

THE car to hopefully reverse that trend, would probably be 991 GT3, we have to wait and see if they remove some of the non-sense in that car, and maybe give it a hydrolic steering wheel? and a more simplified interior?
Old 02-07-2012, 06:24 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boolala
But even the "dynamics" of the new car appear to be superior.

So what's your point, again?
My point is, I don't like the car (for reasons stated), but YOU DO! So, you'd buy one, and I won't!
Old 02-07-2012, 06:47 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default 991...

When I saw the 993 come out I wanted one... (still do) when I saw the 996 come out I wanted one (fried eggs and all!), when I saw the 997 come out I had to have it.... (bought one) when I saw the 991 in person -taking it all in from inside to out- I was left feeling, well none of the above.... appreciating the car on many levels but just didn't feel that massive attraction...The car did not grab me in the same way I had hoped..... I still want a 993TT or a 997.1GT3rs over a 991 without question.....this was my experience purely based on reviewing the car in the showroom.

I do think this car will attract the masses and for anyone new to Porsche will be drawn to the car over prior 997 cars no doubt...but think the new 991 will be less attractive to the true passionate Porsche enthusiast ....

Its an amazing car on so many levels but just didn't grab my soul.....
Old 02-07-2012, 07:00 PM
Neotorque
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at the 991 on my dealer's showroom floor, sandwiched between a 997 GTS and a Cayman R, I was struck by how quickly I would have chosen either of them over it. Maybe that will change, but it looked soft to me. I'm sure it's a fantastic car, certainly leaps ahead of my little 05 C2, but - and this is entirely subjective obviously - it didn't move me in the same visceral way.

To each his own. I'm sure those who buy 991s will be thrilled with their purchase, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if I join them at some point down the road, but I'm in no rush.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:34 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I'm sorry, but that's just silly.....
longer than a corvette.

Wide up front in a way we've not seen before.

front end looks too short.

The interior? no comment necessary. awful.

911 without an ebrake?

20-21" SUV sized wheels are getting rather ridiculous looking.

the signature hips are getting more muddled/diluted very year.

it's a cumulative reshaping of the car into a Jaguar or Aston Martin "James Bond luxury car" for middle-aged foreign billionaires and reality show housewives.... the furthest thing from Steve McQueen you could think of.

but again, on engineering that side of the of the factory nail it every time. Grandpa ride with Rohrl time sheets.

the point of no return

Old 02-07-2012, 08:01 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well Porsche of Orlando has their unveiling this coming Thursday, so I'll hold all comments until...
Old 02-07-2012, 08:03 PM
JD911
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 57 Posts

Maybe what we are seeing is the evolution of the "sports" car. Porsche needs to compete with what they are selling against. What car would Steve McQueen drive today? They're all bigger and heavier with more creature comfort.

I think the accountants and lawyers designed a heck of a car.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:43 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 183 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by perfectlap
longer than a corvette.

Wide up front in a way we've not seen before.

front end looks too short.

The interior? no comment necessary. awful.

911 without an ebrake?

20-21" SUV sized wheels are getting rather ridiculous looking.

the signature hips are getting more muddled/diluted very year.

it's a cumulative reshaping of the car into a Jaguar or Aston Martin "James Bond luxury car" for middle-aged foreign billionaires and reality show housewives.... the furthest thing from Steve McQueen you could think of.

but again, on engineering that side of the of the factory nail it every time. Grandpa ride with Rohrl time sheets.
What I said was silly was your comment "but that doesn't really look a Carrera anymore." I took that statement at face value; anyone who knows cars, sees the 991, and says they can't tell it's a Porsche Carrera, is being silly, and I stand by that. Now if by "look", you mean that the details you list no longer embody the spirit of the Carrera, that's a different and very subjective issue; one that has already been discussed ad nauseum and to which I have nothing to add.

I will say, though, that in today's marketplace, if Porsche was still only making cars that Steve McQueen would be familiar with, they'd be at best a tiny niche manufacturer, if they were still in business at all. Be careful what you wish for.

Quick Reply: 991 vs 997 in the flesh