Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 Engine Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 07:36 AM
ru'
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the detailed response; my comment was made after a couple of minutes googling, (mobil 1 especially).

Plus temps in F mean nothing to me!
Old 03-23-2015, 11:31 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
You can fry chicken at 300*F, just to put it into perspective.

Thats a blanket statement. Oils vary a ton, especially in their HTHS shear properties. This property is often overlooked in oil comparisons, as modern passenger cars have their oils tested, and rated at 100* C. Above that point most oil manufacturers don't give a damn what the oil does, because they aren't being evaluated there. Your 40 grade oil, thats a 40 grade at 100*c, damn sure won't be a 40 grade at 290F!

So, the oil's ability to maintain viscosity at higher OT is the key to HTHS and how long the oil will live at the elevated temperatures.

I have found that most oils that can be bought over the counter don't like more than 250F for very long. Full-on race oils can sometimes take 300*F for 750 miles of on the hammer driving. The difference is these oils are designed with a dispersant package that fits this bill. Its not something that you can buy at Walmart.

Its my goal to keep OT at 260F or below, but every engine is different, so I use TAN, TBN and Oil Pressure readings to help me evaluate an oil and where it's sweet spot truly is.

I want to stay out of that 275+ range at all costs, and we've done that, even in Grand Am applications. The key is an oil that will live at those temps, and then, further making adjustments to clearances and components so the heat isn't generated in such excess numbers.
It will still be a 40 grade oil above 100C. It will be at a lower viscosity than at 100C but it will still be a 40 grade oil.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:40 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
It will still be a 40 grade oil above 100C. It will be at a lower viscosity than at 100C but it will still be a 40 grade oil.
It'll be advertised as 100C, and the label will state that. All I care about is the viscosity being maintained, as advertised, at the operating temperature that the engine is seeing.
Old 03-23-2015, 11:55 AM
CaymanPower
Racer

You can fry chicken at 300*F, just to put it into perspective.

Thats a blanket statement. Oils vary a ton, especially in their HTHS shear properties. This property is often overlooked in oil comparisons, as modern passenger cars have their oils tested, and rated at 100* C. Above that point most oil manufacturers don't give a damn what the oil does, because they aren't being evaluated there. Your 40 grade oil, thats a 40 grade at 100*c, damn sure won't be a 40 grade at 290F!

(...)

Its my goal to keep OT at 260F or below, but every engine is different, so I use TAN, TBN and Oil Pressure readings to help me evaluate an oil and where it's sweet spot truly is.

I want to stay out of that 275+ range at all costs, and we've done that, even in Grand Am applications. The key is an oil that will live at those temps, and then, further making adjustments to clearances and components so the heat isn't generated in such excess numbers.

I thought that your main concern regarding the 997.2 engine's reliability issues was LOW oil temps not high... did I misunderstand you ?!

The fact his that low mileage engines are WORSE in regard to this failure, because the cylinders are not worn yet! The tighter the running clearances, the more susceptible the engine is to these particular failures. Being worn and loosened up is one way that most engines dodge the bullet when operated in cold climates.
No, not broken in. Well beyond break in, at 20-45K miles, generally.

Being alarmed saves engines. I am only sharing what we see and what we've seen explode in terms of failures in the past 4 months after one of the toughest winters on record. Most of the cars that fail are C4s? Why? Because they perform very well in the snow and ice and are often driven more than any C2 would be in those conditions.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:26 PM
CaymanPower
Racer

Jake, Flat6 Innovations or whoever... do you care to clarify?
Old 03-23-2015, 04:39 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanPower
Jake, Flat6 Innovations or whoever... do you care to clarify?

LOL, give the guy a break. He has already generously shared WAY more info, based on research and first hand experience, then I would expect any business owner would.

If you want to know more, then employ his services. That is how businesses make money to stay alive, and further their research and development.
Old 03-23-2015, 04:54 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

It'll be advertised as 100C, and the label will state that. All I care about is the viscosity being maintained, as advertised, at the operating temperature that the engine is seeing.
All lubricants have lower viscosity as the temperature increases. Therefore viscosity is not maintained with any of them.

http://www.elephantracing.com/techto...emperature.htm
Old 03-23-2015, 05:57 PM
CaymanPower
Racer

Originally Posted by halo777
LOL, give the guy a break. He has already generously shared WAY more info, based on research and first hand experience, then I would expect any business owner would.

If you want to know more, then employ his services. That is how businesses make money to stay alive, and further their research and development.
The question is I don't think he's making a good case for himself and his business with such contradictory and not so rigorous explanations, which he voluntarily decided to share, mind you.

But, what do I know, right?! Last time I check I was being called a troll.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:33 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

His statements are not contradictory. The problem is with your comprehension.

It wouldn't matter if the entire m96/m97 Flat6 study guide was posted on here for your review; you would still find something to dispute. This is the nature of the troll.
Old 03-23-2015, 08:00 PM
CaymanPower
Racer

Originally Posted by halo777

It wouldn't matter if the entire m96/m97 Flat6 study guide was posted on here for your review; you would still find something to dispute. This is the nature of the troll.
I knew that was coming... why? Because that's the negative side of the human nature.

I couldn't care less about M96/M97 engine issues. This thread is about 997.2 Engine Reliability which has its own specific issues.

Therefore, you can't talk about too high oil temps and low viscosity as the culprit for failing connecting rods at the same time that you talk about too low oil temps and high viscosity as the culprit for the same outcome due to too tight clearances within the same 9A1 kind of engine.

This is a contradiction in terms! Either you have insufficient engine cooling capacity or in excess. Which, in turn, means that either the engine runs too hot or it runs too cool. You can't go wrong both ways!

Moreover, you don't need to run the 9A1 engine at extreme meteorological conditions to observe bore scoring. Experience tells you so!

And last but not the least, disregarding coolant cooling capacity on a water cooled internal combustion engine is like disregarding gender on an heterosexual relationship as long as there is an erection... someone or something will end up getting hurt!
Old 03-24-2015, 12:01 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Best quote of 2015 so far.

I couldn't care less about M96/M97 engine issues. This thread is about 997.2 Engine Reliability which has its own specific issues.
You should, because the same issues are being shared between the two, though one is Lokasil and the other Alusil. Piston composition and running clearances are leading to the same issues, and are being noted at about the same time in service that they were with the M96. History repeats its self, thats why we keep data.

Therefore, you can't talk about too high oil temps and low viscosity as the culprit for failing connecting rods at the same time that you talk about too low oil temps and high viscosity as the culprit for the same outcome due to too tight clearances within the same 9A1 kind of engine.
Absolutely I can. This again goes back to your ability comprehend what I am stating; that might be partially my fault, due to how it's written.

The high oil temps and loss of viscosity are compounded by high core temperatures of the Alusil engine block, and expansion of the internal clearances. Couple the more open clearances to hotter oil, that has lost viscosity and you have the boom factor. The PWM oil pump does a decent job of boosting OP during these scenarios and saving engines, but it does have a duty cycle and when it hits that point, it can do not more.

On the other end of the spectrum you have a cold engine, with tight internal clearances and pistons that have a rapid expansion coefficient when compared to the cylinders. This creates an opposite issue.

Part of the problem is a lack of material stability across a wide range of operating temperatures from sub zero to above 100 degrees. Being too tight when cold, and too loose when hot pretty much points that out. All it takes is a freezer, and an oven to see these things, and measure what happens. I'd love to build a jig to measure core operating clearances, and one day I might.

This is a contradiction in terms!
As much as you'd like it to be, its not. You are just confused, but there's nothing wrong with that.

Either you have insufficient engine cooling capacity or in excess. Which, in turn, means that either the engine runs too hot or it runs too cool. You can't go wrong both ways!
If I agreed with that statement, we'd both be wrong.

Moreover, you don't need to run the 9A1 engine at extreme meteorological conditions to observe bore scoring. Experience tells you so!
ut if you do, you can learn a lot more, and learn it faster.

And last but not the least, disregarding coolant cooling capacity on a water cooled internal combustion engine is like disregarding gender on an heterosexual relationship as long as there is an erection...
I have disregarded it, because we have not had any issues with the obvious points of concern that are usually linked to cooling system inadequacies. The majority of my work has been done with engines that are 6-800ccs larger than stock, creating 80-110HP more than a stock engine. With those engines we don't see elevations until long track sessions are experienced. Those were solved with a GT3 nose and center outlet. Honestly we added those items to Cayman X just for looks, but the CLT dropped 15F on the next track day. We happened upon the benefits.

Now, anyone who wants to debate viscosity at various temperatures has never seen a Stribeck curve. Myself and Lake Speed Jr. will be going over this very thing in my performance class this coming Saturday. To think an engine runs completely in hydrodynamic lubrication is ridiculous.

In regards to the discussion on DI valve deposits, where do you guys think that the carbon deposits come from up stream of the valve and injectors? Why has Toyota gone to both port injection and DI on the same engine? Oil plays a role in this, and that is why it is part of the new GF-6 oil spec.

That said, the benefit of this thread has diminished, and I believe I am arguing with people about oil that don't even change their own. Sitting around online, hunting through someone's posts from weeks/ months ago, hoping and praying you'll find something to call me out on is also a waste of time. Instead of reading all these articles (most of which were written by people who also don't change their own oil) is also a waste of time. Want to learn? Take your car and do your own analysis, gather your own empirical data and learn something. Just know that if you ever share that knowledge that someone, somewhere is going to bust your ***** for it.

Nothing good will come from more debate on this. I'll keep doing my thing, and you guys can too.

Raby- Out.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:45 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

Jake ... Thanks.

Wayne
Old 03-24-2015, 03:34 AM
CaymanPower
Racer

On the other end of the spectrum you have a cold engine, with tight internal clearances and pistons that have a rapid expansion coefficient when compared to the cylinders. This creates an opposite issue.

Part of the problem is a lack of material stability across a wide range of operating temperatures from sub zero to above 100 degrees. Being too tight when cold, and too loose when hot pretty much points that out. All it takes is a freezer, and an oven to see these things, and measure what happens. I'd love to build a jig to measure core operating clearances, and one day I might.
You really are stating this stuff... nothing wrong with my comprehension after all, thanks God!

An oven?!?! Really?!?!

Do you really believe that you can recreate the thermal load distribution that is happening at different rates in different parts of an internal combustion engine across its operating range with an oven?!

There's no such thing as 'too loose when hot and too tight when cold' as far as piston to cylinder bore clearance is concerned. Once you have too much piston too bore clearance with an hot engine you definitely will have an even greater piston to bore clearance at cold engine - that's when you can more distinctly hear the characteristic 'engine ticking' - because one must allow for piston thermal expansion within the bore.

The problem is not the Alusil bores. The problem can be the DFI system itself, on one hand, and the engine cooling efficiency on the other. Otherwise, how would you explain that cylinder bank #1, and this one specifically, is in fact the most affected?!

Last edited by CaymanPower; 03-24-2015 at 03:54 AM.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:31 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jake! Great writeup!
Old 03-24-2015, 09:06 AM
CaymanPower
Racer

Take your car and do your own analysis, gather your own empirical data and learn something. Just know that if you ever share that knowledge that someone, somewhere is going to bust your ***** for it.
The difference is you need some kind of forum publicity because your making a business out of it. So, don't play the victim role with me.

I'm not after money here! On the contrary, I'm just genuinely interested in buying a 997.2 for myself after coming from two consecutive 9A1 bad experiences back in 2010 that ended up on a teared down engine, which is all very well documented on the RL forum and elsewhere, and the last thing I want is to commit the same mistakes all over again.

At first, I thought you could be helpful but I was wrong... that was a mistake! For that I apologize!

My ability to comprehend led me to have mistaken you for a knowledge guy... but soon enough you have enlightened me, that much I can thank you!

It's nothing personal, really.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Engine Reliability