Sponsored by:

Brake Dust Gone!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Thanks guys. Can you comment if the dulling is permanent or if the original shine comes back as the product wears off?

To add to this, I have also read that the product doesn't seem to work well on anodized, flat paint and unfinished (polished aluminum) wheels. It seems to work best on painted/clear coated wheels.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:07 PM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wash your car, no evidence.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:05 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Thanks guys. Can you comment if the dulling is permanent or if the original shine comes back as the product wears off?

To add to this, I have also read that the product doesn't seem to work well on anodized, flat paint and unfinished (polished aluminum) wheels. It seems to work best on painted/clear coated wheels.
Yes it dulls the surface. Is it permanent? Who knows? I do not want to test it.

I tried this stuff and it is way overrated. It reduces surface adhesion of brake dust but over time (200 miles say) it starts accumulating. I stopped using it. I went back to my usual routine -
Rejexed Rejexed
rims and periodic washes. Washes with P21S or Porsche's rim gel and dried with
Vac n Blow Vac n Blow
are easy.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:22 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree that one should not stop cleaning and waxing one's rims due to this product. It's simply a cheap product that'll help reduce build up of crud on your rims. Keeping the rust off the rims after washing the car is really my main use of this stuff.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:32 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Yes it dulls the surface. Is it permanent? Who knows? I do not want to test it.

I tried this stuff and it is way overrated. It reduces surface adhesion of brake dust but over time (200 miles say) it starts accumulating. I stopped using it. I went back to my usual routine - Rejexed rims and periodic washes. Washes with P21S or Porsche's rim gel and dried with Vac n Blow are easy.
Tony's approach seems more rational to me. I hate the dust too but spraying a $9 can of finish dulling chemicals on your wheels and (inevitably) brakes every 3 or 4 weeks doesn't seem like an ideal long term solution. A good periodic waxing and normal washing plus a fast wipedown with Qwik Detailer and a microfiber towel after a drive is what I do.

Originally Posted by Jay H
I agree that one should not stop cleaning and waxing one's rims due to this product. It's simply a cheap product that'll help reduce build up of crud on your rims. Keeping the rust off the rims after washing the car is really my main use of this stuff.
I use compressed air to blow dry the brakes and force the water out of the drilled rotors. I find that this virtually eliminates the rusty water spinning out of the rotors onto my nice clean wheels.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:17 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

I am currently conducting my own test on black powder coated fronts. One has been removed and cleaned and completely dowsed in Armor All protectant. The other has not.

I'll post what I see after I put miles on the car. (that could take a while, I don't drive her much)
Old 12-30-2011, 09:29 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

AutoZone has it on special for $4 a can. I ordered 4 cans tonight. They'll be in tomorrow by noon. Hope I like it. Won't know till Spring if it really works for my driving & detailing style.

I'll spray the Turbo's wheels in the heated garage, and see how easy it is to apply and what it does to the sheen on the SpeedLines shiney fat polished lips.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:07 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Just purchased two cans today at AutoZone, $ 4 per can on special clearance. They will not be stocking any more ?

For now I'm going to apply to the belly of the wheel, from rear of spoke only. Fronts of the wheels are easily cleaned ( classic five spoke )
Old 12-31-2011, 01:17 PM
HotLap
Racer

OP - thanks for the heads up and thanks everyone for chiming in - I'll have to give it a try!!
Old 01-01-2012, 10:47 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I did not see any real noticeable "dulling" on my freshly RejeX wheels yesterday.

I wonder how this stuff would work on the front bumper for bugs? I will NOT try it, just wondering. Any guinea pigs?
Old 01-01-2012, 12:33 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

i use rejex on the whole car, and I honestly think it lasts longer than any wax i have used. I'm a big fan. It works great on protective film, too.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:14 PM
CodeRed
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Colinite FTW
Old 01-01-2012, 11:46 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
I did not see any real noticeable "dulling" on my freshly RejeX wheels yesterday.

I wonder how this stuff would work on the front bumper for bugs? I will NOT try it, just wondering. Any guinea pigs?
I've used rejex on my cars and boats for years...zero issues...shines like crazy!
Old 01-02-2012, 10:54 PM
zerMATT951
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love this stuff. It lasts me 2-3 weeks if there's no rain, and it even kept the wheels clean after a 200 mile "spirited" drive. Can't complain about that at all.

There's also an Eagle One "Keep Clean" wheel protectant on the market, it comes in a pump spray bottle. I haven't tried it yet, but I did pick up a bottle recently.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:12 AM
McCulla
Pro

Be warned regarding the Eagle One product. You cannot control the spray from the pump and it goes everywhere and splashes as you apply it. It dries like a resin and I found it very difficult to get off, used some tar remover or 3M adhesive remover. I only tried it once, so I suppose there might have been some odd issue with my bottle or application, but I won't use it again...my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: Brake Dust Gone!!!