Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 997 today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 08:13 PM
lmaternick
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lebby83
Over the last few days I installed the Rennline phone mount (works great) and a set of their pedals. Installed some new OEM air filters. Had it tech inspected and a high temp brake flush for an upcoming HPDE in a couple weeks. I also had them check over the new to me 2007 C2S to see if it needed anything else - it got a clean bill of health Loving this car.
I have the phone mount and have resisted installing it only because I'm a procrastinator, but I'm curious why the new pedals? Aesthetics or function? I've seen one set that had a split throttle pedal that might be of some advantage but what was your reason. Just curious.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:12 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 678 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Pseftis

will this work on the gauge cluster plastic too? Or will it damage it.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:20 PM
lmaternick
Instructor

if you have bi zenon lights it may not help at al. The bi zenons tend to leave a heat crazing on the inside. Let us know what type you have and how it worked out after the meth. Before and afters are also requested please.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:30 PM
lebby83
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lmaternick
I have the phone mount and have resisted installing it only because I'm a procrastinator, but I'm curious why the new pedals? Aesthetics or function? I've seen one set that had a split throttle pedal that might be of some advantage but what was your reason. Just curious.
The phone mount was very easy to install. I just followed the Rennline youtube video on it. Works better then I thought it would. As for the pedals - I had them laying around from another Porsche I had a few years back and I also like them for function. I frequent the track and these make it easier for me to heel/toe.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:42 PM
Whogotham
Track Day

Had these stickers made since I couldn't find anything online. I think they came out pretty cool. I have extras for sale if anyone is interested

Old 08-07-2018, 11:17 PM
lmaternick
Instructor

nice stickers Maybe cut them closer around the graphics but props to you for doing it.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:06 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,152 Likes on 731 Posts

MP4S all around. Had MPSS before these ... 25K miles on the rears and 35K miles on the fronts. The rears could have gone another 2K and the fronts another 5K, but the car was getting pretty slippery.

New tires have only a few miles on them, and I'm comparing to old treads, but these seem to give quicker turn in (the MPSS sidewalls had developed a lot of flex), are quieter (of course), and seem to give a bit more grip (obviously). I still need to play a bit more, but so far I'm happy with the upgrade 8)

Celebrated by giving the beast a wash. Definitely due after it sat under the fir trees for a week while I rebuilt the garage. Picking the fallen needles out of all the crevices is a true PITA!!!
Old 08-09-2018, 01:21 AM
Pseftis
Intermediate

After the new fresh paint went for a Dyno pull and protective clear wrap along with ceramic coating up next
Old 08-09-2018, 02:19 AM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 162 Likes on 117 Posts

What was the verdict on the Dyno?
Old 08-09-2018, 02:27 AM
Pseftis
Intermediate

Guess this thing calculates to the crank?! Tbh I’m confused lol.. can’t be whp right?
Originally Posted by Vincent713
What was the verdict on the Dyno?
stock car
Old 08-09-2018, 02:57 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
MP4S all around. Had MPSS before these ... 25K miles on the rears and 35K miles on the fronts. The rears could have gone another 2K and the fronts another 5K, but the car was getting pretty slippery.

New tires have only a few miles on them, and I'm comparing to old treads, but these seem to give quicker turn in (the MPSS sidewalls had developed a lot of flex), are quieter (of course), and seem to give a bit more grip (obviously). I still need to play a bit more, but so far I'm happy with the upgrade 8)

Celebrated by giving the beast a wash. Definitely due after it sat under the fir trees for a week while I rebuilt the garage. Picking the fallen needles out of all the crevices is a true PITA!!!
Seriously?? You can't be lowered to get that kind of life out of the tires but even with stock suspension, that's impressive. I've been lowered with H&R springs on all three 997's I've owned and if I really squeeze it, I can get to 11,000 miles on the rears and about twice that on the fronts. Not another mile past that unless I drive it every day like I'm going to a funeral with grandma in the passenger seat.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:29 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Excellent. Good info. Another vote for the 4s. I'm about half way to having to replace my MPSSs... T
Old 08-09-2018, 12:21 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,152 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Seriously?? You can't be lowered to get that kind of life out of the tires but even with stock suspension, that's impressive. I've been lowered with H&R springs on all three 997's I've owned and if I really squeeze it, I can get to 11,000 miles on the rears and about twice that on the fronts. Not another mile past that unless I drive it every day like I'm going to a funeral with grandma in the passenger seat.
I used to wear tires out on my Lotus cars at just over 5K miles ... across the full tread. I drive the 997 in similar fashion. But the tire wear is night and day. I won't claim to understand why.

My tire mechanic adjusted the alignment based upon his assessment of my needs. I run the pressure a bit high (4 to 5 psi above normal) for commuting. I still lose the rears to inner tread wear, but I can't complain 8). The fronts wear even across the treads allowing longer life. And I am a fan of Michelin, FWIW.

The alignment specs from the car history file are below. Turn in suffers a bit as well as stability, but it is minor really.

BTW ... PASM, not lowered, no wheel spacers. So your case is different than mine.
Attached Images  
Old 08-09-2018, 01:24 PM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 162 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Pseftis

Guess this thing calculates to the crank?! Tbh I’m confused lol.. can’t be whp right?

stock car
Either way it looks pretty impressive.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:05 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

I used to wear tires out on my Lotus cars at just over 5K miles ... across the full tread. I drive the 997 in similar fashion. But the tire wear is night and day. I won't claim to understand why.

My tire mechanic adjusted the alignment based upon his assessment of my needs. I run the pressure a bit high (4 to 5 psi above normal) for commuting. I still lose the rears to inner tread wear, but I can't complain 8). The fronts wear even across the treads allowing longer life. And I am a fan of Michelin, FWIW.

The alignment specs from the car history file are below. Turn in suffers a bit as well as stability, but it is minor really.

BTW ... PASM, not lowered, no wheel spacers. So your case is different than mine.
I think you'll lose the rears to inner wear no matter how you configure the suspension on these cars. Even the master techs at my dealer have told me that. At 11,000 miles I'm down to the cord on the innermost 2" to 3" while the opposite end looks like it's got 20K miles left to go. They tried something different when they mounted my latest set of rears so we'll see how that goes.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 997 today?