Received 529 Likes on 315 Posts

your car, perfect!

Originally Posted by Clubber

Celebrated the 70 with Porsche Club istanbul

Old 06-21-2018, 12:50 PM
jstefano
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought a shawrkwerks bypass kit to make my 997.2 sound like a 997.1. Seems silly but absolutely necessary once you’ve driven both.
Old 06-22-2018, 05:03 PM
Skwerl
Drifting

Received 303 Likes on 185 Posts

I've been feeling a bit of floatiness in the rear end, and shifts didn't seem as sharp as they could be, so I replaced my engine mounts with some Wevo semi-solids. I believe the Turbo at 80k miles was still on the originals and the difference was immediately noticeable. They add a dash of that "rawness" we 911 folk are always on about, and shifting is markedly improved, especially 1-2. Interior noise increased for sure but not excessively so, and in my opinion the extra NVH gives the car a bit more exotic excitement. Recommended upgrade, even if your OEM mounts are in good shape.

(FWIW, the originals [judging by the date code sticker and maintenance history] weren't completely shot but they were definitely stretched.)

Last edited by Skwerl; 06-23-2018 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:47 PM
Jaybird33
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 22 Posts

Tracked it
Attached Images   
Old 06-24-2018, 12:21 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaybird33
Tracked it
Very cool. What track?
T
Old 06-24-2018, 06:04 PM
JABowders
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Smile Vent, Center Rad Kit, and Grilles installed
Just completed the Center Radiator, Smile Vent, and Grilles install ... sweet! Damn I'm sore, just not as young as I used to be.

I had to make a template and then cut out air flow outlets in the lower portion of the bumper cover, mine did not pre-etched markings so i just went with simple.

And I will admit, it goes a lot easier if you can get it up off the ground, a lift would be perfect but if you don't have one (like me) getting the front up on Jack Stands so you can work with the front wheels off, makes removing and installing the inner fender covers so much better. And a real plus when dealing with installing the all the underside hardware.

Sometimes I'll do anything to avoid cutting the grass.

Last edited by JABowders; 06-27-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:34 PM
Jaybird33
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
Very cool. What track?
T
Streets of Willow Springs, with Porsche Owners Club.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:35 AM
second2none
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 14 Posts

I washed the car today.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:54 AM
XAudiguy
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Been playing with Vinyl... snuck out in the work in progress

Old 06-25-2018, 06:49 AM
Terrytwn
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jstefano

Bought a shawrkwerks bypass kit to make my 997.2 sound like a 997.1. Seems silly but absolutely necessary once you’ve driven both.

Well worth it! I have one installed on my 997.2 manual as well. Love it!
Old 06-25-2018, 09:31 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Did the annual brake fluid renew of Motul RBF600 in all the cars, including the 2 997s. I also converted my pickup over to it so I only have to stock one brake fluid for all the vehicles. The Cayenne will get converted when I install the PCCB upgrade in August. Pretty easy as I now have 3 different fluid reservoir adapters for the different brands of cars and have put a quick connect adapter on the Motive and the adapter hoses. I pour in 5-6 bottles of fluid and work my way around each car sucking out the old fluid from tge reservoir with a stainless turkey baster, refilling tge reservoir with new fluid, then hooking up the Motive to the reservoir, pressurizing to 20 psi, then hit each wheel starting with the one furthest from the reservoir and working my way to the one closest. The wheels on the cars ate open enough that I can get my silicone hose with mini ratchet setup on each caliper bleed nipple without having to remove any of the wheels, just roll the car forward or backward by hand a few inches if a wheel spoke happens to be in the way.

With the collection bag and clear silicone hose its a no-mess process and easy to see if any air bubbles come out. After each car, I empty the collection bag into a gallon jug and move on to the next car.

Old 06-25-2018, 10:38 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

On average, how much fluid do you need for each car?

Also, what do you do about the small amount of fluid left in the nipple hole after tightening?
Old 06-25-2018, 11:16 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
On average, how much fluid do you need for each car?

Also, what do you do about the small amount of fluid left in the nipple hole after tightening?
The reservoir seems to take most of a quart and then I run probably another 1/2 quart to a full quart through the system bleeding the 4 wheels, depending on how the color looks flowing into the clear bag. Since my 997s are .1s, I'll do the clutch slaves when I do the next oil change, but for that I do about 3 strokes of the clutch pedal. For the clutch, I hook up the Motive, but use a 2-person process. I open the bleeder, assistant slowly pushes the clutch 90% of the way down, holds it, I tighten the bleeder, they let the clutch back up (or pull it back up - don't remember), then repeat that process 2 more times. The Motive just gives me a little extra insurance that fluid can't flow in the wrong direction and that if lifting the pedal back up, that it sucks in new fluid.

I don't do anything with what's left in the caliper bleed nipples - just put the cap back on. I guess I could touch a fresh Q-tip to the top to absorb the little fluid that's left in there, but my bleed nipples are stainless speed bleeders so I don't worry about fluid corroding the bleed nipple since the stainless is impervious to it.

At the end, I also take about 1 turkey baster of fluid out of the reservoir and put it back into the waste container since the Motive pretty much fills it to the top using it with the wet method where the fluid is in the Motive itself.

When I'm done with all of it, I spray brake cleaner though the silicone hose, then air to blow the cleaner out. I then do the same to the Motive pressure hoses and spray out the Motive container itself, dumping all that brake cleaner spray into the same container with the used brake cleaner. That goes to the recycling center and they have me pour it into the used motor oil container.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:19 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
The reservoir seems to take most of a quart and then I run probably another 1/2 quart to a full quart through the system bleeding the 4 wheels, depending on how the color looks flowing into the clear bag. Since my 997s are .1s, I'll do the clutch slaves when I do the next oil change, but for that I do about 3 strokes of the clutch pedal. For the clutch, I hook up the Motive, but use a 2-person process. I open the bleeder, assistant slowly pushes the clutch 90% of the way down, holds it, I tighten the bleeder, they let the clutch back up (or pull it back up - don't remember), then repeat that process 2 more times. The Motive just gives me a little extra insurance that fluid can't flow in the wrong direction and that if lifting the pedal back up, that it sucks in new fluid.

I don't do anything with what's left in the caliper bleed nipples - just put the cap back on. I guess I could touch a fresh Q-tip to the top to absorb the little fluid that's left in there, but my bleed nipples are stainless speed bleeders so I don't worry about fluid corroding the bleed nipple since the stainless is impervious to it.

At the end, I also take about 1 turkey baster of fluid out of the reservoir and put it back into the waste container since the Motive pretty much fills it to the top using it with the wet method where the fluid is in the Motive itself.

When I'm done with all of it, I spray brake cleaner though the silicone hose, then air to blow the cleaner out. I then do the same to the Motive pressure hoses and spray out the Motive container itself, dumping all that brake cleaner spray into the same container with the used brake cleaner. That goes to the recycling center and they have me pour it into the used motor oil container.
Thanks for the detailed response. So never any brake fluid hit your caliper paint as a result of this small amount in the nipple?

Where did you get the stainless nipples?
Old 06-25-2018, 11:34 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Johnny DB
Thanks for the detailed response. So never any brake fluid hit your caliper paint as a result of this small amount in the nipple?

Where did you get the stainless nipples?
Nope, no evidence of that. Pinching the silicone hose right at the nipple connection point removes it very cleanly. The stainless bleed nipples (with spring-loaded ball valves in them that only let fluid flow in one direction - out), the used fluid collection bags, and the silicone hoses all come from www.speedbleeder.com. You need part # SB1010S (the S on the end is for Stainless). My 928, 997s, & Cayenne all use the same bleed nipple size and I have these installed on all of them.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 997 today?