Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 997 today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2018, 12:21 PM
DeutschCars
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicked to 29k last night. Still in my 20's!

Old 03-15-2018, 12:32 PM
joe084S
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I installed a OEM Aero bumper after I cut in a Rennline bumper vent.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:33 PM
ocgarza
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

On my way back to Victoria from Portland TX the TPMS flashed red and said I had a flat tire. Pulled over and sure enough, the right rear was down 8 psi. I pulled out the small air pump and refilled it and returned to Discount Tire in Portland (about 5 miles back) where they patched the tire at no charge. TPMS can be a pain when they go out but this one served me well as the next town was about 40 miles away and with no real tire service. The photo below is a shot of the dash when we pulled into Discount Tire. Turned out to be a long nail.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:04 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by ocgarza
On my way back to Victoria from Portland TX the TPMS flashed red and said I had a flat tire. Pulled over and sure enough, the right rear was down 8 psi. I pulled out the small air pump and refilled it and returned to Discount Tire in Portland (about 5 miles back) where they patched the tire at no charge. TPMS can be a pain when they go out but this one served me well as the next town was about 40 miles away and with no real tire service. The photo below is a shot of the dash when we pulled into Discount Tire. Turned out to be a long nail.

Whew, glad that worked out for you OC! It doesn't take much to get stuck "in the middle of nowhere" in Texas. Do you carry a tire patch kit?

My morning marching orders from the missus were to mail a letter. Immediately, the wheels start turning. I took care of all my work in the AM, and then Googled the various small-town post office options, and possible fun roads to reach them. Research done, 82 miles later, the wife's letter is in the mail, and the 997.2 S is well exercised...T
Old 03-15-2018, 06:19 PM
ocgarza
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
Whew, glad that worked out for you OC! It doesn't take much to get stuck "in the middle of nowhere" in Texas. Do you carry a tire patch kit?

My morning marching orders from the missus were to mail a letter. Immediately, the wheels start turning. I took care of all my work in the AM, and then Googled the various small-town post office options, and possible fun roads to reach them. Research done, 82 miles later, the wife's letter is in the mail, and the 997.2 S is well exercised...T
Tom, I do have a patch kit but left it in the Cayman along with my normal "travel tool bag" But as soon as I refilled the tire, I googled "nearest Discount Tire" and it was only a few miles back. My next option was the 24x7 roadside assistance I have with my car insurance but it would have taken the rest of the afternoon. As it was, it was only an hour delay. Not having a dealer or Pcar independent within 100 miles of my home, I use Discount Tire in Victoria a lot for tires and alignments. They know me and love handling the tire chores on the Porsches, and our other cars. I had $30 bucks of pizza delivered to the Portland Discount Tire today as a way of thanks.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:15 PM
tomc_mets
Rennlist Member

^ Cool gesture, OC!
T
Old 03-15-2018, 08:35 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts
Default Replaced engine mounts

My 997.2 just reached 50K and I figured its time to retire the stock mounts. Bought a pair of RSS Tarmac and it was an easy job. Yes, the car now sounds a bit noisier with some buzzing during idling. I'll try to isolate the source of the buzzing. On the other hand, these mounts make the car feel more integrated. No longer felt like a dog chasing its tail. I love it.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:44 AM
Jason DeWilde
Intermediate

Default Function First transmission mount inserts

Did the Wevo engine mounts a year ago along with OEM SSK, Sharkwerks and Fister’s. But today I installed the yellow version of the transmission inserts and after 50 or so miles it has been the most impressive thing I’ve done to this car. I expected more vibration and negatives after reading some reviews. I know it’s subjective but I can’t tell much difference in NVH and what I can feel I very much like. The car however feels completely transformed. Shifts (6MT) are so much more solid, almost like a gated shifter. Hard to explain but it feels so much better. More raw is the best way to describe. Definitely worth the $130 and a couple hours for a DIY at least to me.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:10 AM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jason DeWilde
Did the Wevo engine mounts a year ago along with OEM SSK, Sharkwerks and Fister’s. But today I installed the yellow version of the transmission inserts and after 50 or so miles it has been the most impressive thing I’ve done to this car. I expected more vibration and negatives after reading some reviews. I know it’s subjective but I can’t tell much difference in NVH and what I can feel I very much like. The car however feels completely transformed. Shifts (6MT) are so much more solid, almost like a gated shifter. Hard to explain but it feels so much better. More raw is the best way to describe. Definitely worth the $130 and a couple hours for a DIY at least to me.

Did you replaced your transmission mount with the transmission attached to the car ? If you did, any special tools you use to remove/install the new mounts ?
Old 03-16-2018, 07:08 AM
Jason DeWilde
Intermediate

Originally Posted by henryting
Did you replaced your transmission mount with the transmission attached to the car ? If you did, any special tools you use to remove/install the new mounts ?
Not the bushing itself just inserts on each side of it in replace of the OEM stops. Transmission just needs supported with a jack to remove/replace bolt.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...r-997-2-a.html
Old 03-16-2018, 05:31 PM
tomc_mets
Rennlist Member

Hit 57,000 miles cruising down the highway with my best gal by my side! Onward to 60K!
T
Old 03-16-2018, 06:01 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
Hit 57,000 miles cruising down the highway with my best gal by my side! Onward to 60K!
T
So does your GF get to drive the car ?
Old 03-16-2018, 07:22 PM
tomc_mets
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DeutschCars
Nice. Keep up the good work!
T
Old 03-16-2018, 07:30 PM
tomc_mets
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by henryting
So does your GF get to drive the car ?
No, my wife would protest! Actually, my "best girl" (AKA the wife) loves driving my Porsche. To be honest, I think she enjoys driving it more than our Ferrari. Although I suspect, being a Texas gal, she'd trade all our fun cars for scrap before giving up her pickup truck! She's a very good driver - if a bit of a lead foot! - but I have no qualms throwing her the keys to any of our cars. It's kind of fun to be chauffered around in a Porsche. Not as much fun as being in the left seat, but "shotgun" ain't a bad spot to be in a 911!
T
Old 03-16-2018, 08:01 PM
stankiyota
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ceramic Pro Gold Detail...

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 997 today?