Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 997 today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2017, 03:35 PM
YZWILLY
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Rampage, how hard was it to remove the PCM face, any special tools needed? Thanks as I am going to try it this winter, just afraid of messing up all the little pieces.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:10 PM
Rampage
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by YZWILLY
Rampage, how hard was it to remove the PCM face, any special tools needed? Thanks as I am going to try it this winter, just afraid of messing up all the little pieces.
It wasn't that bad actually, no special tools required beyond a variety of small Torx bits / drivers. Everything seemed to be pretty straightforward to remove & disassemble, I don't think anything broke ... although I won't know for sure until I go to reassemble it!

User BMWTYE had a great step by step that I followed, and then I used a few youtube videos for the AC disassembly:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...l#post13687412
Old 12-29-2017, 11:31 AM
Rampage
Racer

Couple more photos of the reassembled panels. Really happy with the finish & how it turned out!

Probably won't be back in the car for a while, still waiting on a few more interior parts before it all gets reinstalled.

Old 12-29-2017, 12:08 PM
Ni_Mo
Racer

Very nice, I went for piano black one mine but def a nice project to do! And it's something you will admire every time you get into your car
Old 12-29-2017, 04:00 PM
LISsailor
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Great Experience with FD Motorsports (Fister)

Just wanted to give an unsolicited shout out to Darin and Dillon on the quality of their product as well as the incredible customer service I received. Without belaboring the awesomeness of the Fister Mufflers on the 997.2, I will just say they are flat out awesome. A little higher pitched and louder than what I recall of the OEM Sport Exhaust. FD Motorsports' system really hits the sweet spot for noise and value. I think they could probably charge more and would still have the buyers lined up.

But with regard to my purchase experience, I vacillated a couple times on a couple issues. Keeping my cores was one of them. The speed of response in emails and revision of billing, requeing in the wait-list, etc all happened in such a speedy fashion that I felt compelled to holler about it on here. I cannot recommend these guys enough.

I used Rennwerke in Elmsford, NY. It is a reputable porsche-only shop and I was happy to hear from the owner there that even he was impressed with the quality of the remanufacture of the mufflers as well as the sound produced. He said "its just right" and "not too loud" which meant a lot to me being that this is my first "grown-up" car at age 34. The only shame is that I drove the car about 3 times with the new mods before I had to wrap her up for the winter. Here's a few pics before I put the cover on.

Old 12-29-2017, 08:07 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Been about 10 days with temps below 50 F. So, I took it on a jaunt around town to give her some exercise. Never driven it in temps as low as this.
Was fine. No crazy twisties. Felt good to get behind the wheel again...T
Attached Images  
Old 12-29-2017, 08:22 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

Did you change the center exhaust and install crossover pipes? If so with the Fister cans was it too loud?
Old 12-29-2017, 09:01 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 203 Likes on 134 Posts

I think we need to see who had a picture of the coldest outside temp driven! I’ve had mine out at 12 degrees F.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:26 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by DC911S
I think we need to see who had a picture of the coldest outside temp driven! I’ve had mine out at 12 degrees F.
Beat me! I had to figure out how the heater worked. On the bright side, those heated seats are awesome!
I assume you went out in 12 F with winter tires?
T
Old 12-29-2017, 11:11 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts

I had mine out at -1 a couple days ago. I should have taken a pic. Here's the 996 from a couple years ago. I have a -11 somewhere.
Old 12-29-2017, 11:32 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 374 Likes on 245 Posts

Drove it! Thought I would beat the snowstorm but caught the tail end.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:50 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 449 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Rampage
Couple more photos of the reassembled panels. Really happy with the finish & how it turned out!

Probably won't be back in the car for a while, still waiting on a few more interior parts before it all gets reinstalled.

This looks amazing. Great work. Is there texture to that paint? It looks like the Dupli-color satin black I used to respray my center console.
Old 12-30-2017, 10:18 AM
LISsailor
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Dartmouth
Did you change the center exhaust and install crossover pipes? If so with the Fister cans was it too loud?
I did not, still have the center muffler in place. I am not sure I will do that as well since I work from my cellphone much of the time and it’s important that I can talk and drive.

Windows down is awesome. Windows up is still awesome but you don’t hear it unless you’re on the throttle, which I like.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:08 PM
Rampage
Racer

Originally Posted by TheBruce
This looks amazing. Great work. Is there texture to that paint? It looks like the Dupli-color satin black I used to respray my center console.
I'm really happy with the results too, I think it will really modernize the appearance of the cabin.

Yes, it has a very fine light texture to it and it does have a bit of a rubbery feel to it like other interior parts. You can feel it's not perfectly smooth like the silver paint was originally. And depending on how close or far away you hold the spray can from the part, you can have more or less of a pebble appearance.

I was looking at your thread prior to my painting and I think it's quite similar in texture & sheen to yours. It really has an OE grade finish to it. The only reason I chose this product instead is that it is not permanent and could be removed in the future if desired.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:07 PM
Miki997.2
Track Day

Received 14 Likes on 4 Posts

Question, I'm getting a new tubi installed next week and I was curious to know, if there is a market for the OEM or just keep it on the side.
Thanks

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 997 today?