Sponsored by:

Inside rear tire wear after frequent hiway miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 08:42 PM
purrybonker
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Inside rear tire wear after frequent hiway miles

My car most often hits the road for long hauls. I mean my '06 has 40k miles, so it gets driven and it gets driven on lots of two-lane blacktop, but there's often lot's of interstate-like driving in between the curvy parts.

I had a slow leak in one of my rear tires at about 3/32 or so of remaining tread. A stop at the local tire shop for a patch job revealed significant inner wear on the rears. The tires are basically bald on the inner edge.

I have a new set of Pilot Super Sports on order but I'm wondering if there's something different I should be doing with my alignment to avoid similar results with the new tires.
Old 08-18-2011, 08:55 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Camber and toe can affect wear. Especially toe. With the new tires check that your alignment is within the normal specs.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:30 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently discovered I had worn my tires down to the belts on the inside. I couldn't tell by looking from behind that they were wearing until after the belts started to show through. Monday I repalced my PS2's with Super Sports and then had the car aligned to correct the toe. Hopefully that will resolve the issue with this set of tires. I suggest you get an alignment to assist with your issue.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:43 PM
PVP997
Advanced

Default Normal tire ware pattern

Normal ware pattern, price of driving a performance car
Old 08-18-2011, 11:27 PM
springgeyser
Racer

I constantly inspect my tires and flip them inside-out at halflife.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:29 PM
GuyIncognito
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

change lanes more often
Old 08-19-2011, 01:33 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

The real reason you have such inside wear is because you are not driving the car aggressively enough. When you do, that wear evens out across the entire tread.

Because these rear tires are so wide, many never look closely at the INSIDE portion of the tread until it's too late.

The negative camber is there to assist you in the corners/turns, but if you just lope along on a straight highway mile after mile, you're only wearing off the inside of the tires.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:01 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,060 Likes on 546 Posts

The real reason you have such inside wear is because you are not driving the car aggressively enough.
Go rack up some tickets and report back with your new tire wear.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:41 PM
halsyknox
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The alignment specs from Porsche call for negative camber. I don't race mine so when I got new tires I had an alignment as well and told them to split the difference between spec and flat. I have had no handling issues, but like I said, I don't track it. I'll take a slight performance drop to save having to replace tires due to 1% of it wearing out. That performance drop will never be felt on the road.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:51 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
The real reason you have such inside wear is because you are not driving the car aggressively enough. When you do, that wear evens out across the entire tread.

Because these rear tires are so wide, many never look closely at the INSIDE portion of the tread until it's too late.

The negative camber is there to assist you in the corners/turns, but if you just lope along on a straight highway mile after mile, you're only wearing off the inside of the tires.
This!!! I wear out the outside corners long before the insides go. Rear camber and pressures are specced from the factory pretty close to ideal, but front camber and pressures are carefully selected to ensure terrible performance to ensure nice safe boring understeer under all conditions to keep trophy wives out of ditches.

If you're wearing the inside corners out faster than the outside, you're not driving hard enough or often enough. Likewise, if you're using Porsche-recommended tire sizes and pressures and are not going through 2 front tires for every rear, you're not driving hard enough. (Understeer will murder front tires at OEM alignment/pressures if you're driving hard.) If you get camber plates and bigger front tires to fix Porsche's gimping of the car, the balance will go back again to eating rears more quickly.

You can't really rotate tires for inside corner wear, but with most brand/model of tires, you can have the tires re-mounted, either swapped left/right, or reversed on the rim. Will set you back about $30 at most tire change places, but stretch a lot more than $30 worth of life out of them.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:12 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by purrybonker
My car most often hits the road for long hauls. I mean my '06 has 40k miles, so it gets driven and it gets driven on lots of two-lane blacktop, but there's often lot's of interstate-like driving in between the curvy parts.

I had a slow leak in one of my rear tires at about 3/32 or so of remaining tread. A stop at the local tire shop for a patch job revealed significant inner wear on the rears. The tires are basically bald on the inner edge.

I have a new set of Pilot Super Sports on order but I'm wondering if there's something different I should be doing with my alignment to avoid similar results with the new tires.
The only thing you should be doing differently with the car's current alignment is have it replaced with a proper one.

Toe in at the rear is the culprit. With a proper alignment and kind of driving you give the car the rear tires should wear very evenly across the tread and last maybe 20K miles or so.

Sincerely,

Macster.

Quick Reply: Inside rear tire wear after frequent hiway miles