Sponsored by:

997.1 Dectane LED Lights installed

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 11:29 AM
Carlow911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sbkim
Have you guys noticed that not all LEDs light up with Dectane when the brake is pressed - sort of like "C" shaped vs Rottec lighting up the whole back light.

Some people on 6speedonline are currently trying to find a solution to have all the lights on when braking by splicing the wires in the harness.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:40 PM
Vjgtrybno1
Rennlist Member

My battery ran down yesterday and so I recharged it. I notice that the Dectane rear red LEDs are lit all the time. Anyone else have this issue. Car is a 2007 and I did not need resistors to install it. Gonna check out the fault codes later tonight.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:39 AM
paddyh
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stab1991
I just got mine and installed them last night. They really do look great. I will post pics later. I actually like the look of these lights better than the droopy eye look of the 997.2

Now time for the fronts. I heard I need a box for the daytime lights to work on them or something. Please let me know all I need please so I can get these things ordered and finish the look.
Updating the 'fronts' to get LED DRL is really a two step process.
  1. Update the physical front lighting unit to gain LED function by replacing the city, fog and turn signal incandescent (RoTTEC, Orange Tuning etc) - (you can stop here - but then DRL will be the headlamps as before the update)
  2. Splice an additional module to change the way DRL works (I know Orange Tuning has this - likely others too) - on a 997.1 the change is from using the headlamps as DRL to having the fog lamps (now LED) always on
Old 06-12-2012, 04:05 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Vjgtrybno1
My battery ran down yesterday and so I recharged it. I notice that the Dectane rear red LEDs are lit all the time. Anyone else have this issue. Car is a 2007 and I did not need resistors to install it. Gonna check out the fault codes later tonight.
Vince we need more info. You mean with DRL;s on? Do you have DRL's set on via PCM?

Or you refer to when parked, engine off, even key off but not locked, and a slight current passing through to the rears giving them a faint glow? If that, it should be normal and its the canbus system that is passing current to check if the bulbs are working (if not to give a warning light). The filament bulbs obviously cant light, but the leds do. My front led conversion does that. My rears dectanes never have, but that could be what you are experiencing. In any case, once you lock the car, they turn off after a few minutes.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:49 PM
Petroguy
Advanced

(I also posted this in the 997 Turbo section to get more feedback so sorry for the double post)

I wanted to revisit this topic to see if anyone had any follow ups. Specifically, there were a small number of folks that were having issues with these. Any further? Any warranty issues? Another forum had a topic that described trouble with both Frank from Orange Tuning and another stateside source that has an ebay presence.

I love the looks of these and would like to order them but I am hesitant given the cost and, albeit rare, the QC issues and customer service issues from the sellers involved. Anyone?
Old 12-18-2012, 12:02 AM
iBang
AutoX

It's weird. I have these Dectanes on my 08' 997.1 for about 4 months with no issues. Never used the resisters that caem with it. No errors. Everything worked fine including rear fogs. But recently, the error came up with "Right taillight out." But now I'm troubleshooting everything and nothing seems to work. I emailed the guys at Dectane with no response yet. If anyone can chime in for a resolution/suggestion, that would be great.
Old 01-10-2013, 01:55 AM
mrdosun
2nd Gear

Default "Left taillight out" error

"Left taillight out" error occuring from time to time which goes away with turning the lights on and off. Resistor or not, no difference.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:28 PM
MFank
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I am having a similar issue. Random "check left brake light". It started doing it back in July after having them for almost a year with no issues. I tried installing the resistors but that didn't do anything.

Last edited by MFank; 02-04-2013 at 07:21 PM. Reason: I put "right" intead of "left"
Old 01-10-2013, 08:18 PM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

I got an email from Evolution Motorsports (place I was trying to buy Dectane), they said the factory in Taiwan has stopped manufacturing these lights since about 3% of them have issues. They are re-engineering the lights and will resume manufacturing in Mid January.

I checked with several other places and none have them in stock, I assume due to the above issues with a stoppage in manufacturing.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:36 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by CORSASCHNELL
I got an email from Evolution Motorsports (place I was trying to buy Dectane), they said the factory in Taiwan has stopped manufacturing these lights since about 3% of them have issues. They are re-engineering the lights and will resume manufacturing in Mid January.

I checked with several other places and none have them in stock, I assume due to the above issues with a stoppage in manufacturing.
Try www.carlightpro.com - a US supplier.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:57 AM
ILLCOMM
Racer

Frank just got a new shipment in (on 1/28). Hopefully they don't suffer the same fate.
Old 02-04-2013, 03:04 PM
gvcap10
Racer

Fish-SS on Ebay just got his shipment of Dectane lights in. I was on a wait list for them. They shipped out a couple days ago. Hopefully they will be the new ones manufactured?
Old 02-10-2013, 05:40 PM
hardracing
Advanced

Does anyone have a Depo or Dectanes LEFT Side "WORKING" LED Light they would want to sell ?

Old 02-10-2013, 09:01 PM
Gadgetman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I have mine I can sell you. I'll reconnect them on my 997.1 to verify they are in working order.

Darren
Old 02-12-2013, 12:23 AM
CORSASCHNELL
Pro

According to Frank of Orange Tuning, they have sold 500 units of these Dectane lights and only 25 have reported issues, that is 5% defective rate.

Quick Reply: 997.1 Dectane LED Lights installed