Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 fuel pump - replacement action ongoing.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:35 PM
RennlistTomE
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Many thanks Mike. How long did the job take?
My SM said 'less than three hours' total.

Anybody know anything about the AntiFreeze 3.7 Warrantee above?
Old 07-27-2011, 09:40 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

I have a 2012 with May 2011 build date. Certainly mine won't be involved, at least hope not.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:45 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RennlistTomE

When mine was replaced in 2009 I recall they had to drain the coolant and as a result they put new coolant in. It must be related to where the HPFP is located and what they need to do to access it.

Now I am wondering if I am in line for a second replacement (March 09 build)
Old 07-27-2011, 09:49 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Considering they let mine sit for a while that sounds about right.

Originally Posted by vexed
When mine was replaced in 2009 I recall they had to drain the coolant and as a result they put new coolant in. It must be related to where the HPFP is located and what they need to do to access it.
I didn't notice the coolant item until I got home so I didn't ask the SA about it. Your explanation makes sense.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:16 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,006 Likes on 714 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
So I don't know exactly how long they worked on it, but they only had the car in the shop for 4 hours total.
Long enough to make sure a loaner is available. That's all I need to know. Thanks again.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My suspicion as well is that the affected cars are ones that were built with a specific batch of fuel pumps ... so cars built from an older batch or newer batch form the affected pumps would not need to have theirs replaced. So it isn't "all pumps before date xyz" but rather "all pumps that came form line xyz between date 1 and date 2" that determines what needs replacing.

Again, I didn't ask, the service adviser only indicated it. So their system must be set up such that when you get the car in, the system matches your car's VIN to an outstanding actions database and indicates what needs doing. They didn't indicate the issue when I made the appointment... not until I checked in the car to do a steering wheel swap and other warranty work did the service guy indicate it had an outstanding job to replace the fuel pump. So you may have to actually bring in the car and have it logged into the dealer service, for them to be aware of the 'to do item'.

The coolant need explains why I had to top off the reservoir with a quart of distilled water recently.
Old 07-28-2011, 06:17 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

It could be a range of VINs or several ranges. My SM tells me is VIN specific, i.e., he's not given a range of VINs, but each car record shows the need for the Service Action (or not). I did it yesterday - see HERE.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:17 AM
zoomzoommo
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I was scheduled for a Monday HPFP replacement, but PCNA is out of the small washers. Looks like it will be the week of August 8.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by Minok
The coolant need explains why I had to top off the reservoir with a quart of distilled water recently.
Now I have to go out and check mine.......
Old 07-29-2011, 06:15 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

Took mine in for HPFP 7:30 Wednesday morning. Still don't have it back, well had it back about 20 miles. When I picked it up Service Writer said they spent over 7 hours on the fuel pump replacement. I drove 20 miles and Check Coolant Level warning light came on and temp gage pegged with flashing red light. Called dealer and service manager arrived in about 15 minutes with a gallon jug of water. Told him if it wasn't distilled I didn't want him adding it, that I wanted the cooling system filled according to Porsche's directions.

At his direction I called Porsche roadside assistance for them to tow the car. He stayed with the car and we drove away in the VW Jetta he arrived in. That was 5 hours ago and I'm still waiting on a call saying car is ready to be picked up.

How is the cooling system tied into the HPFP? Does coolant circulate through the pump or just around the outside? What is the likely hood of coolant in the fuel because of an improperly installed gasket?
Old 07-29-2011, 07:19 PM
zoomzoommo
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

This is from a Porsche tech:

Yes some coolant will be lost but it would just be a half to 1 Liter not a big deal it just has to do with removing stuff to get to the pump not exactly a easy to get to item.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:23 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 128 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by zoomzoommo
This is from a Porsche tech:

Yes some coolant will be lost but it would just be a half to 1 Liter not a big deal it just has to do with removing stuff to get to the pump not exactly a easy to get to item.
Thanks.

They just called and said all they could find was low coolant and were keeping overnight and would test drive in the morning and call me if it checks OK.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:24 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
Took mine in for HPFP 7:30 Wednesday morning. Still don't have it back, well had it back about 20 miles. When I picked it up Service Writer said they spent over 7 hours on the fuel pump replacement. I drove 20 miles and Check Coolant Level warning light came on and temp gage pegged with flashing red light. Called dealer and service manager arrived in about 15 minutes with a gallon jug of water. Told him if it wasn't distilled I didn't want him adding it, that I wanted the cooling system filled according to Porsche's directions.

At his direction I called Porsche roadside assistance for them to tow the car. He stayed with the car and we drove away in the VW Jetta he arrived in. That was 5 hours ago and I'm still waiting on a call saying car is ready to be picked up.

How is the cooling system tied into the HPFP? Does coolant circulate through the pump or just around the outside? What is the likely hood of coolant in the fuel because of an improperly installed gasket?
I hate to say this as it probably will decrease your comfort level but I'd be concerned that the tech who worked on your car was unfamiliar with doing the pump replacement. I don't know the specifics of the job but 7 hours and coolant issues to boot is not a sign that someone knew what they were doing. Based on my experience grtting the replacement pump, the 3 hours mentioned by RennlistTomE for the job is definitely realistic. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:51 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
I hate to say this as it probably will decrease your comfort level but I'd be concerned that the tech who worked on your car was unfamiliar with doing the pump replacement. I don't know the specifics of the job but 7 hours and coolant issues to boot is not a sign that someone knew what they were doing. Based on my experience grtting the replacement pump, the 3 hours mentioned by RennlistTomE for the job is definitely realistic. Good luck.
I agree. The job takes 3h (or less) and only a smidgen of coolant is lost and replaced. Like surgery, this work should be performed by someone who has done it many times. My dealer - Porsche of Fremont (Fletcher Jones) - has this service under control.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:47 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

well because of this thread, i thank the op for bringing it on, i asked my dealer again about wb08...sure enough they checked again and my car is part of the warranty. i asked yesterday and the car is in the shop today for the replacement pump and should be out later this afternoon. i dont know if anyone is familiar with the procedure of the pump replacement but i read somewhere that there needs to be a calibration after the work has been done...i wonder what kind of calibration that is...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 997.2 fuel pump - replacement action ongoing.