Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 fuel pump - replacement action ongoing.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011 | 05:11 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by Domer911
mine's being done as I type. Part of a "porsche service campaign". "Recall" is apparently not in their vocabulary.
Recall is in their vocabulary, but that word has a very specific meaning and use in the consumer protection space.

A recall is a mandated public announcement to address a verified and likely safety issue.

Your car's performance going to limp mode doesn't qualify as a safety hazard.. you are not likely to be injured or involved in a crash if the fuel pump goes wonky and the engine enters limp mode.

My car drives the same way it did before the swap.. my original pump was fine. But I'm also glad, given the reports of failures, that mine was replace with a revised design of the pump to address the chance of mine failing at some future point.
Old 08-19-2011 | 06:08 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

similar experience, mine was not really problematic, i did notice however that after the swap, the engine was smoother and was essentially more "city driveable" that prior to the change. i just hope consumption stays the same if not improve.
Old 08-20-2011 | 09:49 AM
gray911
Instructor

I brought my car Wed for clutch switch failure and brake fluid flush and was told about the HPFP action. They had the car for 3 days since they have to order a part from Germany. Had a Panamera 4s for a loaner. The car felt more responsive after the HPFP replacement or maybe I was just comparing it to the heavy Panamera ;}
P.S. The Panamera 4S with PDK is as boring to drive on the street as my Camry.
Old 08-21-2011 | 10:29 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Originally Posted by kosmo
did the check in guy tell you this after scanning your VIN?
Im on my 2nd HPFP.

Boy, I was hoping it was a permanent fix....at least an improved pump instead of the same pump.
Old 08-21-2011 | 11:22 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bstellar
Luckily i pumped the pedal and they grabbed - actually locking them up. [...] hopefully Porsche is looking into these reports.
Very unlikely, given their unicorn nature. Our manufacturing engineers wouldn't even have bothered me with your report because you say you "locked them up".

We have discussed elsewhere the cause of such behavior with anti-lock brake systems.

Gary
Old 09-30-2011 | 12:59 AM
gabfab
Intermediate

Hi, thanks to this forum I learned about the 'WB08' open service call. I had experienced some occasional hesitation at idle and not much else. I had it done today together with an oil change and a clutch switch fix. After picking it up towards the end of the day, I noticed a slightly faster idle that seems to be getting better after driving for a few miles. They charged (under warranty) 1.9 hr labor for the fuel pump which seems very reasonable considering the previous posts and 1.5 hr labor (yours truly) for the oil change...
Old 09-30-2011 | 03:05 AM
AYHSMB
Instructor

Originally Posted by jakes dad
Does anyone know of other "tech advisories" that I should know about?
Renntech provides all TSB's
Old 09-30-2011 | 11:41 PM
gabfab
Intermediate

Default Fuel Pump issue not on TSB's

Did not see this 'recall' on the TSB's
Old 10-01-2011 | 12:42 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by gabfab
Did not see this 'recall' on the TSB's
It is TSB 41-09 and National Highway Traffic Safety Administration item number 10032731.

Gary
Old 10-01-2011 | 07:12 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by Minok
Brought the 997.2 Targa 4 in for service to track down a grinding noise on startup from the front end as well as install the new multifunction/heated steering wheel in my 6spd from 2009 (~15k miles) and the checking guy indicated there was an outstanding action to replace the fuel pump.

One of the ongoing issues I was going to have them address was a bit of uneven power in the first two minutes of driving and longer cranks to start, so this may well address that.

But it seems that Porsche is addressing the older high pressure fuel pumps on an 'as they show up for service' basis.
That's correct as well as a software ugrade. I just had both done, during another service.They are not recalls, they are called "campaigns".
Old 07-16-2014 | 11:20 AM
deverest
Instructor

I know this was a dead thread, but I did not want to start a new one with the same topic. I have a 2009 C2 and my CEL went on this AM, I drove right to the dealer and asked for a scan...HPFP. My car is CPO until next year and has 50K miles approx....

I ususlaly do my own work, but this is covered under the CPO so I took it to the dealer....I will keep everyone posted.
Old 07-18-2014 | 04:47 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by deverest
I know this was a dead thread, but I did not want to start a new one with the same topic. I have a 2009 C2 and my CEL went on this AM, I drove right to the dealer and asked for a scan...HPFP.
Would love to know if this is the original fuel pump (car never got its update) or the replacement or unaffected pump finally gave in.
Old 06-14-2016 | 07:38 PM
Benihana242
Instructor

This just happened to me, I was driving back from a Graduation, and I got the "Reduced Engine Power light. Being ~3 hours away from my house, I had it towed to a dealer. On the way I looked this up, and figured it would be covered.

Dealer calls me and says the car has already had the replacement in 2011 (Before my ownership), and it would be ~2k to replace again. I asked if there was anything they could do, and was told to call Porsche. Porsche told me "we'll see what we can do" and said the decision could take a couple/few days.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 06-14-2016 | 11:12 PM
Nip are
Instructor

Originally Posted by Benihana242
This just happened to me, I was driving back from a Graduation, and I got the "Reduced Engine Power light. Being ~3 hours away from my house, I had it towed to a dealer. On the way I looked this up, and figured it would be covered.

Dealer calls me and says the car has already had the replacement in 2011 (Before my ownership), and it would be ~2k to replace again. I asked if there was anything they could do, and was told to call Porsche. Porsche told me "we'll see what we can do" and said the decision could take a couple/few days.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
For real a fuel pump replacement is $2k at a dealer? Any idea of the part/labor cost breakdown. I wonder how much an Indy would charge?
Old 06-15-2016 | 10:36 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

i'm getting bitter in my old age.
Well really, I've always been bitter, just not as good at hiding it.
$2k seems a lot for a fuel pump.
Cost it out at a sponsors, like Suncoast. Get an indy installation cost.
Get the dealer to match it. I would lean towards the dealer as they would have a warranty on the part and install.
BUT the bitter part of me would not reward the OEM shop with the sale, if they leave you hanging.
A quick costing looks to be 5-700 for the pump from Pelican's website. 3-4 hours?
Plus some other whileyouratit items?

Quick Reply: 997.2 fuel pump - replacement action ongoing.