Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Who has tracked their car?
yes
64.94%
no
35.06%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Who has tracked their car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 12:47 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

that`s video from NHMS novices day. it was a very slow event for everybody.
For me too as I it was first event I drove after winter break and all reflexes were off, but I was calmly working on my lines with instructor - and that is what DE is for - you get there, you work on what you think is important, get some feedback from your instructor and hopefully will get better after each session.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n49WolccPjo

nothing nearly dangerous there. just a calm steady pace driving. do not be afraid, do not stress yourself with 'do not track what you cannot afford to leave there' stuff, etc. also you can see - most of time you will spend trailing a car/s ahead of you as no one is allowed to do stupid stuff in instructed PCA groups.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:51 PM
GolfTango3
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Based on my admittedly limited DE experience, highway driving on the same roads as text-messaging, latte-swilling soccer moms applying mascara while listening to Rush Limbaugh pondering their next pedicure, is far, far more dangerous.

Plus, it really doesn't matter if you destroy it, that's what insurance is for and Porsche is gonna make more, and they aren't making them any slower.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:57 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Don't be concerned about wiping out. It is extremely difficult to completely lose control of these cars; you have to be making a serious effort to push hard to the limit. The instructors will not let you get anywhere near there your first time out.

And a well run event will not tolerate yahoos at the wheel, and should allow you to be adequately spaced from other cars, so I would not be concerned with other drivers, either. You are in closer quarters, with far less attentive drivers, on public roads.

Go and have fun. Just leave your ego at home.
Agree completely with this. Don't try to impress anybody on the track if you are new to this. Your fate is 98% in your own hands. If you are uncomfortable, back off. Speed is not the goal; learning is. And don't worry...you won't be hitting anything close to 185 mph at Lime Rock. It's a short track (about 1-1/2 miles) with a relatively short main straightaway.

I feel more insecure on a busy public highway during rush hour than on the track.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:12 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Definitely track the 911. You'll appreciate why you had paid so much for it afterwards. City driving is boring.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:21 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
that`s video from NHMS novices day. it was a very slow event for everybody.
For me too as I it was first event I drove after winter break and all reflexes were off, but I was calmly working on my lines with instructor - and that is what DE is for - you get there, you work on what you think is important, get some feedback from your instructor and hopefully will get better after each session.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n49WolccPjo

nothing nearly dangerous there. just a calm steady pace driving. do not be afraid, do not stress yourself with 'do not track what you cannot afford to leave there' stuff, etc. also you can see - most of time you will spend trailing a car/s ahead of you as no one is allowed to do stupid stuff in instructed PCA groups.
Great video and you just made up my mind, I am going for it. What you did is exactly what I am comfortable with at this point! Also great feedback from all you guys in this thread!
Old 05-24-2011, 01:23 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
Definitely track the 911. You'll appreciate why you had paid so much for it afterwards. City driving is boring.
I agree, but I actually live mostly in the burbs, so I am typically on backroads. Knowing my NASCAR on track experiance has me itching to do this in the P-car. My smile was a mile wide when I was done w/ my 10 laps. One of the greatest experainces and appreciation of what a car can really do and the forces the drivers feel, etc.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:37 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

Received 356 Likes on 191 Posts

I just tracked it to...my garage. Safely under cover.

gotta learn to drive it first!
Old 05-24-2011, 03:29 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
I am going for it.
Great. Now maybe you will get rid of all that golf crap.

I see that you have a clear bra, which is good. One side effect to track driving, especially with a black car, is front bumper/hood rash.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:45 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,647 Likes on 764 Posts

Do it!

At least try it out.
If you're worried about scratched on your bra or car just tape the crap out of it with painters tape for your peace of mind.

You have the car for it.
Check your ego at track out (However, as soon as you get out of the car you can speak FLATOUT, once the track goes cold, the more beer the FLATOUTER you may become.) and listen to your instructor at all times. You pilot, he captain :-)

I'd say you have zero chance of hurting yourself or the car. Check the brake pads, bleed the brakes and you are good to go for the first few weekends. It's a Porsche, it will love the excercise!
Old 05-24-2011, 03:46 PM
Frino
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done twelve high performance driving schools over the last seven years, three of which were with my 911.

I believe the risks are worth the rewards up until the point where you need to go faster in order to get better. The PCA or CCA schools for first timers are extremely safe and, IMHO, safer than driving on the street to the extent it's a controlled environment.

Having said that, I am not doing any more schools primarily because I was at the point where the risks (of running in faster intermediate runs groups) were beyond my comfort level.

My advice would be to check out a least one high performance driving event...you and the car will be fine and it will be an experience you won't soon forget.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:57 PM
zoomzoommo
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

In addition to clear bra, take a look at headlight protection:

http://www.xpel.com/products/headlight.asp

My 997.1 headlights were pitted from the track debris. Got the Xpel clear covers for the 997.2.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:25 PM
K964
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Don't be concerned about wiping out. It is extremely difficult to completely lose control of these cars; you have to be making a serious effort to push hard to the limit. The instructors will not let you get anywhere near there your first time out.

And a well run event will not tolerate yahoos at the wheel, and should allow you to be adequately spaced from other cars, so I would not be concerned with other drivers, either. You are in closer quarters, with far less attentive drivers, on public roads.

Go and have fun. Just leave your ego at home.
Great and accurate post. You'll be in the Green run group with like-minded individuals. One word of caution though: last year a Green run group student of mine in an '09 C2S enjoyed his tracking experience so much that he completely slid down the slippery slope and just purchased an '11 GT3. Track driving (DEs) and Club Racing is ridiculously addicting!!!

Mike
Old 05-24-2011, 06:13 PM
BlueJay73
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I've tracked my car quite a few times--the best, most fun recreational thing I've done in a while. It sort of validates my choice of owning a high performance sports car-- is it for looks, or do you really want to drive it like it was made for.
Porsche DE's are very structured for safety. You have driver's class time before you go out on the track. The DE rules, and the track's rules, are very clear and no nonsense. No passing except in certain pass zones. No passing without permission from the driver you are waiting to pass (he waves you around). Two wheels off, come in for a debrief. Two wheels off twice, you may be done for the day. They don't put up with any aggressive foolishness.
The cars are started with large gaps between cars, so they are not bunched up.
Your instructor values his life, and is in constant communication with you via mic/headsets you both wear.
It is a learning experience. It is a track experience, on a road with runoff areas. It is NOT a race.
I am comfortable doing a lapping day on the track. I would never race my 911 unless I had the money to replace it easily.
Tracking is waaaay different than racing. I watch the Spec Miata guys go at it in a race--3 cars fighting for position around a turn, about a foot apart. DE's and lapping days (tracking) are not like that at all.
Having done it, I can't think of owning a Porsche and not doing it.
And when you're finished, you drive home slower than usual because you are spent from the experience, and you got it out on the track, safely. It is fun, but I would not call it relaxing.
My 2 cents.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:34 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Hey BlueJay - you going to the first day at NOLAMP on 8/6?
Old 05-24-2011, 06:37 PM
Scott997
Former Vendor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Almost every single week.......

Quick Reply: Who has tracked their car?