Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Who has tracked their car?
yes
64.94%
no
35.06%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Who has tracked their car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 11:26 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake951
I will be at Lime Rock on 7/14 as well, so perhaps see you there. I will probably make one or more events there in September, too.
i am there 6/2, may be 7/1 with SCDA if wife will not make other plans , 7/14, 7/22, 8/15, 9/9.
car # will be 333 or 383, silver C2 - see avatar. see you there, it is always nice to meet with rennlisters. may be we should get a 'dedicated parking zone' as bmw folks do.

are you going there on 6/2 John? Event was sold out as we all got moved there from 4/1 cancelled event.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:49 AM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ashbad66
Tracked once. Novice group. Another driver and his instructor decided they were racing. He came in hot on a straight. Rather than take his car off the track, he turned inside me on a turn and bounced off my new C4.
After 2 months in the shop and 6 months of fighting his insurance company, I sold my dream car. This was a once in a lifetime purchase for me.
It can happen.
Exactly.
If you can't afford to wreck it (have it wrecked by another driver), it should not be on the track.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:05 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Lots of good advice here. Buy track insurance and you're covered if that concerns you.

I've been doing DEs for over ten years and have been an instructor for most of that time. I've spun a few times but never damaged my car. While anything can happen you will find that a DE is far safer than (for example) driving up I95 south of DC on a Sunday night.

Read as much as you can (Drive to Win by Carroll Smith is recommended- but ignore the racing techniques) and learn the track layout, flags and techniques before you go. DO NOT try to impress your instructor with how fast you can go. You want them to sleep like a baby because you're smoother than silk and aware of everything around you- not because you're fast. You won't be.

The keys are vision, concentration and smoothness. A DE is not a race. Do not worry about trying to pass cars or how many cars pass you. Concentrate on those three, realize you're there to learn, drive within your limits and I promise you you'll have more fun than most other things you can do with your clothes on, you will learn to be a better driver and you will gain a great appreciation for the abilities of your car.

Beware however- when I started I got hooked. Just wish I had more time for DEs much less NASA or club racing.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:14 PM
PasPar2
Drifting

[QUOTE=SARGEPUG;8584156][QUOTE=utkinpol;8581640]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n49WolccPjo

What the story w/ the first guys tail lights? They are like a strobe or is he some sort of pace car?
This is how they come out on video... they dont actually strobe.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:26 PM
Skibum
Banned

I believe the reason that you see strobing in the video is that the LED's used are overdriven and then pulsed to obtain max brightness and visibility. (Something that can't be seen with the eye)
Old 05-25-2011, 01:26 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Originally Posted by ashbad66
Tracked once. Novice group. Another driver and his instructor decided they were racing. He came in hot on a straight. Rather than take his car off the track, he turned inside me on a turn and bounced off my new C4.
After 2 months in the shop and 6 months of fighting his insurance company, I sold my dream car. This was a once in a lifetime purchase for me.
It can happen.
Very sorry to hear that- as that instructor should have been tied behind a pickup and flogged to death. Hopefully he or she was never allowed to instruct again.

But as noted, and allow me to emphasize- BUY TRACK INSURANCE. Do not rely on your own or someone else's insurance company. Those are reputable companies that will cover your loss immediately and you will be far more relaxed while you're out there.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:30 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
i am there 6/2, may be 7/1 with SCDA if wife will not make other plans , 7/14, 7/22, 8/15, 9/9.
car # will be 333 or 383, silver C2 - see avatar. see you there, it is always nice to meet with rennlisters. may be we should get a 'dedicated parking zone' as bmw folks do.

are you going there on 6/2 John? Event was sold out as we all got moved there from 4/1 cancelled event.
6/2 will be too short notice for me. I still have to get the extinguisher, helmet, inpection, etc. Where do I get all this stuff and inpsected? Maybe there are links on the PCA site, I have to pop on it. Let's figure hooking up on 7/14! Is there activities there for the wife and kids? I have 3 young ones 6,5 and 3.

I will be doing the hamptons rally and bbq though on the 4th! Wifey is actually psyched to be my co-pilot!
Old 05-25-2011, 01:30 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jake951
I will be at Lime Rock on 7/14 as well, so perhaps see you there. I will probably make one or more events there in September, too.

Agreed. I like Lime Rock. Great track for developing your driver skills.
lets hook for sure!
Old 05-25-2011, 01:32 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by George from MD
Lots of good advice here. Buy track insurance and you're covered if that concerns you.

I've been doing DEs for over ten years and have been an instructor for most of that time. I've spun a few times but never damaged my car. While anything can happen you will find that a DE is far safer than (for example) driving up I95 south of DC on a Sunday night.

Read as much as you can (Drive to Win by Carroll Smith is recommended- but ignore the racing techniques) and learn the track layout, flags and techniques before you go. DO NOT try to impress your instructor with how fast you can go. You want them to sleep like a baby because you're smoother than silk and aware of everything around you- not because you're fast. You won't be.

The keys are vision, concentration and smoothness. A DE is not a race. Do not worry about trying to pass cars or how many cars pass you. Concentrate on those three, realize you're there to learn, drive within your limits and I promise you you'll have more fun than most other things you can do with your clothes on, you will learn to be a better driver and you will gain a great appreciation for the abilities of your car.

Beware however- when I started I got hooked. Just wish I had more time for DEs much less NASA or club racing.
who sells insurance like that? I have Hagerty and have to check my policy
Old 05-25-2011, 01:36 PM
George from MD
Drifting

Lockton Affinity- you can buy it by the event and not pay for a whole season. If you're at all worried the peace of mind alone is worth the few hundred $.

Hagerty is one of the best companies out there but I would bet their standard coverage will not cover you. You'd have to read your policy- do not rely on the word of your agent.

Also I note you have a dark car. To ensure it stays pristine use blue painters tape liberally around the fenders, on mirrors etc. and you won't even get a rock chip.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:39 PM
Skibum
Banned

I have read at different URL's that Track insurance does not cover one race car hitting another.
I sure would want that in writing. Also, if your car did get hit and repaired, would you still be happy with it?
Old 05-25-2011, 01:43 PM
George from MD
Drifting

It covers all physical damage- however caused. It doesn't cover injuries and doesn't cover other cars- just your own.

If your car is hit and repaired ensure it's repaired at a reputable shop. If they do it right even a heavily damaged car will be as good as it came from the factory. We're lucky to have a few in this area.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:57 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by George from MD
Lockton Affinity- you can buy it by the event and not pay for a whole season. If you're at all worried the peace of mind alone is worth the few hundred $.

Hagerty is one of the best companies out there but I would bet their standard coverage will not cover you. You'd have to read your policy- do not rely on the word of your agent.

Also I note you have a dark car. To ensure it stays pristine use blue painters tape liberally around the fenders, on mirrors etc. and you won't even get a rock chip.
I actually have a clear bra on all areas, other than the lights. I called Hagerty and they said no, so I would take out a seperate policy. Thanks for info!
Old 05-25-2011, 02:10 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol

I will be doing NHMS with NER on June 4/5, so I'm skipping LRP on June 2. I am confirmed for LRP on 7/14, 7/22, 8/15, and may also be there 8/16. September is TBD but will shoot for at least a couple days there. I'm car #807 (see avatar).
Old 05-25-2011, 03:13 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
I still have to get the extinguisher, helmet, inpection, etc. Where do I get all this stuff and inpsected?
for FE - I recommend this mount:
http://www.speedtactics.com/porsche_extinguisher.php

you can get it mounted on passenger side which is much better than to have it under your feet. n other bracket can be mounted on passenger side but this.

to buy helmet online you need to know ezactly what size you need. look for bell or arai, open face or closed face is up to you.

as of where to get inspected - your local state PCA web site on DE tech inspection page should have list of mechanics who authorized to do this.

Quick Reply: Who has tracked their car?