Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Who has tracked their car?
yes
64.94%
no
35.06%
Voters: 154. You may not vote on this poll

Who has tracked their car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2011, 10:14 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
Thanks!
Why would I have to remove the mats? Does it have to do w/ the less that can catch on fire the better?
Does the DE take you for some hot laps w/ him driving your car or he is always the passenger? I thought I heard he drives as well/\.
For safety reasons, everything loose (carpets included) has to be removed from the car before you get your car tech'd at the track. And yes, your instructor should drive at least the first couple laps of the session in your car to show you line, with you in the passenger seat. It's also a good idea, particularly after you've done a few DE events, to ask your instructor if you can ride as a passenger in his car when he goes out in the Red group, so you can observe what he does.

Are you going to Lime Rock on 7/14?
Old 06-05-2011, 11:37 AM
Datura
Instructor

Location: Big Bend region of West Texas/Hill Country near Austin. Texas
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first Porsche (997 Carrera S) and I would recommend tracking your car at a high-speed DE. It is a great environment in which to learn. After you have run laps and feel you are reaching your personal limits, I would then ask the instructor to take you around several laps while you observe. You will probably be amazed that the cars limits actually lie much higher than you realize. Cornering, braking...............most of us will never become as good as our cars, but the DE is perhaps the best place to become a much better and safer driver. In the beginning I would keep the PSM on, but use the Sport button to firm up the throttle response and such.
I also do Open Road Racing (Big Bend Open Road Race) and the instruction and time spent on a track over the last few years has served us well there.
Old 06-06-2011, 09:03 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Datura
This is my first Porsche (997 Carrera S) and I would recommend tracking your car at a high-speed DE. It is a great environment in which to learn. After you have run laps and feel you are reaching your personal limits, I would then ask the instructor to take you around several laps while you observe. You will probably be amazed that the cars limits actually lie much higher than you realize. Cornering, braking...............most of us will never become as good as our cars, but the DE is perhaps the best place to become a much better and safer driver. In the beginning I would keep the PSM on, but use the Sport button to firm up the throttle response and such.
I also do Open Road Racing (Big Bend Open Road Race) and the instruction and time spent on a track over the last few years has served us well there.
I will probably do the opposite. What I did in a NASCAR stock was, was go for 3 hot laps w/ an instructor, to learn to "trust" the car. That was a huge factor for me.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:10 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

I will probably do the opposite. What I did in a NASCAR stock was, was go for 3 hot laps w/ an instructor, to learn to "trust" the car. That was a huge factor for me.
A good idea is to let the instructor know that you learn by watching more so that by doing. People learn different ways and that you know already what you feel works best for you is great for communication with your instructor.

Have fun, go with an open mind and relax and this will be the start to some of the best days in your life.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:14 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by Jake951
For safety reasons, everything loose (carpets included) has to be removed from the car before you get your car tech'd at the track. And yes, your instructor should drive at least the first couple laps of the session in your car to show you line, with you in the passenger seat. It's also a good idea, particularly after you've done a few DE events, to ask your instructor if you can ride as a passenger in his car when he goes out in the Red group, so you can observe what he does.

Are you going to Lime Rock on 7/14?
Thanks and can't go to 7/14, because green is all full. I booked 7/22
Old 06-06-2011, 10:31 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks and can't go to 7/14, because green is all full. I booked 7/22
I will be at Lime Rock on 7/14, 7/22, and 8/15 (with NCR). I may also do 8/16 (with CVR), but registration for this one hasn't opened up yet. It's always a real good idea to sign up as early as possible. The Green and Yellow groups usually fill up quickly.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:25 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

I will be at Lime Rock on 7/14, 7/22, and 8/15 (with NCR). I may also do 8/16 (with CVR), but registration for this one hasn't opened up yet. It's always a real good idea to sign up as early as possible. The Green and Yellow groups usually fill up quickly.
I am now on the waiting list for the 7/22 and the 10/14 (which is @ lightning).

I see you are from Beantown! As I am sure you know, our clubs are squaring off again this week, I am actually going tomorrow! Greatest rivalry in sports!
Old 06-07-2011, 04:06 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

were you there on 6/2?
I will be there hopefully on both 7/14 and 7/22, registered back in April but 7/14 event still shows me in waiting list for some reason. Car # is 333.

Sorry if I missed somebody at 6/2 event, got my hands full with memorizing and working out this new (for me) track...
Old 06-07-2011, 07:34 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by utkinpol
were you there on 6/2?
I will be there hopefully on both 7/14 and 7/22, registered back in April but 7/14 event still shows me in waiting list for some reason. Car # is 333.

Sorry if I missed somebody at 6/2 event, got my hands full with memorizing and working out this new (for me) track...
How was the DE in the rain, per your avatar! They don't cancel DEs if it's raining?
Old 06-07-2011, 07:38 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

A DE in the rain can be frustrating for a true novice but for intermediate students it's a terrific learning environment. I love instructing on rainy track days -- you get a chance to really experiment with how the car handles at the limit except you can do it at 20mph instead of 80mph so there's a lot less that can go wrong.

Wet tracks are pretty safe. What's unsafe is a dry track when it's been raining previously, because then you've got great, confidence-inspiring grip on a dry track but mud and muck if you go off.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:33 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

were you there on 6/2?

I wasn't at the 6/2 Lime Rock event because I decided to stay closer to home and did the NER 2-day DE at NHMS last weekend. I'll be car #807 at Lime Rock in July and August (silver GT3 as in my avatar). See you there!
Old 06-08-2011, 11:43 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

How was the DE in the rain, per your avatar! They don't cancel DEs if it's raining?
no, it does not get cancelled. i understand standard policy is to stop event only when lightnings start to hit pretty bad.
I did plenty of AXes in rain, so, handling wise I know what to expect, to some degree, and how not to overpush it. you just have to be smart, drive a bit off-line usually to avoid slicky spots and be _very_ aware generally and look well ahead for standing water. and remember that DE is not a race and no one forces you to do it if you do not feel fine with it, there is nothing to prove to nobody there.

it was SCDA event last year, pouring rain, I did 2 sessions and left home as in last session one of cars crashed in turn 6, an old saab if i recall correctly. i was pretty upset with it all as most part of session 2 we spent waiting for crew to clean up his parts off track, plus my car was loosing rear end pretty badly due to almost bald r-comps i was on that day, so it was nothing to gain there.

guys who haul tire trailer or big trailer do not have such problems as they do have other tires set to use, i drive to a track so it is kinda bad when you get such a forecast with chance of rain - on street tires you cannot go fast dry, on r-comps you cannot do well in wet. now i use full tread non-shaved toyo RA1 tires in rear - they should be much better in slightly wet conditions thn my previous tires, so, hopefully this season it will be more fun.

PS. for what it`s worth - here is my check-out ride into intermediate 2 group with SCDA on 06/06 event this week - some instructors comments can be heard, so, it may help if one wants to see line at NHMS, and pace was a bit faster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RpYj9drhpY

Last edited by utkinpol; 06-08-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 03:49 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

no, it does not get cancelled. i understand standard policy is to stop event only when lightnings start to hit pretty bad.
I did plenty of AXes in rain, so, handling wise I know what to expect, to some degree, and how not to overpush it. you just have to be smart, drive a bit off-line usually to avoid slicky spots and be _very_ aware generally and look well ahead for standing water. and remember that DE is not a race and no one forces you to do it if you do not feel fine with it, there is nothing to prove to nobody there.

it was SCDA event last year, pouring rain, I did 2 sessions and left home as in last session one of cars crashed in turn 6, an old saab if i recall correctly. i was pretty upset with it all as most part of session 2 we spent waiting for crew to clean up his parts off track, plus my car was loosing rear end pretty badly due to almost bald r-comps i was on that day, so it was nothing to gain there.

guys who haul tire trailer or big trailer do not have such problems as they do have other tires set to use, i drive to a track so it is kinda bad when you get such a forecast with chance of rain - on street tires you cannot go fast dry, on r-comps you cannot do well in wet. now i use full tread non-shaved toyo RA1 tires in rear - they should be much better in slightly wet conditions thn my previous tires, so, hopefully this season it will be more fun.

PS. for what it`s worth - here is my check-out ride into intermediate 2 group with SCDA on 06/06 event this week - some instructors comments can be heard, so, it may help if one wants to see line at NHMS, and pace was a bit faster.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RpYj9drhpY
looks like a blast and I hope for no rain.
Old 06-11-2011, 01:53 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

that`s video from NHMS novices day. it was a very slow event for everybody.
For me too as I it was first event I drove after winter break and all reflexes were off, but I was calmly working on my lines with instructor - and that is what DE is for - you get there, you work on what you think is important, get some feedback from your instructor and hopefully will get better after each session.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n49WolccPjo

nothing nearly dangerous there. just a calm steady pace driving. do not be afraid, do not stress yourself with 'do not track what you cannot afford to leave there' stuff, etc. also you can see - most of time you will spend trailing a car/s ahead of you as no one is allowed to do stupid stuff in instructed PCA groups.
How did you get suck a sick video taken like this, w/ the telemetry and all? Is it an option that you can choose at the track or need to set up beforehand, etc?
I was just checking all of my front lights and forgot that my clear bra guy did all of them already! I thought I had to blue tape everything.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:41 AM
Carrera Mike
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Cool

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I won't track anything I can't afford to destroy.
Tracking a car does not mean you're driving it past your limit.

DE is learning how to drive the car in high performance manner, not pushing it beyond your capability of handling it. Not predicting its reaction, or guessing whats its reaction going to be in a corner.

I think there are drivers who want to learn proper high performnce driving, and there are those who try to beat lap times.

I guess what Im saying is if you're there to learn and have fun and not push the car past what you know it will do youre safe. But if you're there trying to beat a lap time and driving the car past of what you know it will do, then you should get a dedicated track car you can accept trading paint with the tire wall.

Quick Reply: Who has tracked their car?