IMS failure for your 997 car, Y or N? tell us (yr, 997.1, .2, m96, m97, failure mode) - Page 68 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Go Back  Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums > Water Cooled Technical Discussion Areas > 997 Forum
Reload this Page >

IMS failure for your 997 car, Y or N? tell us (yr, 997.1, .2, m96, m97, failure mode)

Notices
997 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: did YOUR car suffer an IMS failure
yes, the IMS failed
6.39%
No issues with IMS
93.61%
Voters: 1314. You may not vote on this poll

IMS failure for your 997 car, Y or N? tell us (yr, 997.1, .2, m96, m97, failure mode)

Old 01-25-2019, 06:44 PM
DoninDen
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
Charles - thank you for your prompt response and detailed explanation. I am convinced now that I will have the seal removed at my next clutch job, I currently only have 31k miles on the car now. Now I am going to get anxious whenever my oil temp starts bumping high in the hot weather and stop and go traffic ha ha.

I never assumed Porsche is always right as evidenced throughout the years, it just baffles me that with all the supposed 'great' German engineering of these cars that this stuff ends up having the potential to cause major issues when the fix would have been so simple and inexpensive during the manufacturing process. Oh well, one of life's mysteries. Thanks again for clearing this up.
Not that three wrongs make a right at Mercedes and BMW reliability...
Old 01-25-2019, 07:15 PM
Sporty
User

Should rephrase - What happened to Germans being considered the epitome of engineering - perhaps just an old wive's tale?
Old 01-27-2019, 07:13 AM
Lblade
User

Out daily drive is a BMW 116i from 2013, 115,000 kms with lots of engine issues (Peugeot engine!!!!). Needed new chains, big problem with some cam valve.
We love our Nissan 350Z convertable. 125,000 kms, NO big problems. Just oil, tires, clutch slave cilinder.....
Now I'm working on my Porsche 997, 130,000 kms. The ultimate boy dream! The engine needs new cilinder slaves, new valve guides (bronze) etc.....
Spend a little fortune untill now…….

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: IMS failure for your 997 car, Y or N? tell us (yr, 997.1, .2, m96, m97, failure mode)

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: