Sponsored by:

A2DP and PCM 3.0 (bluetooth streaming)

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 10:50 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 454 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Yet anothercrisis
I finally was able to get my new Tune2Air device and my 2012 C2s in the same place for a while. It took me about 10 or 12 tries to get the T2A to connect with my iPhone 5. This was even after I removed the PCM connection in the phone's bluetooth memory list. Finally after connecting, I was able to use the phone as an iPod flawlessly. I really like being able to get in the car and have the music I want, though the USB drive worked well too.

I realized after a few minutes though that I did not have a cell phone connection through the PCM. I could try to make a call with the phone and the phone would ask if I wanted the T2A speaker to handle the call, but I could never move the check mark to put the call through the T2A.

I like having the phone auto connect with my PCM when I get in the car, so if I can't figure this out, I will go back to the USB drive or just go through the motions of hooking up the phone to the Y connect cord in the console to get the music i want. When I connect with the Y cord it gives me phone and music through the PCM

Anyone know what I might need to do to connect the phone through T2A?

Thanks
That sounds strange, almost like a bad unit.
I have now 2 T2A devices (one in my 911 and one in my BMW) and both work pretty much flawlessly. My phone "knows" that the T2A cannot mak ephone calls and routes the phone calls through the head units of the 911 and.or the BMW.
Did you try to pair your iPhone with the PCM again?
Old 11-03-2013, 11:05 AM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Got it to work!
I went back through the entire set up, (pairing) process again. Everything works as others have described. I do, as others have also described, have the hiccups in audio ever so often. I can't imagine the cause, it is almost as if the phone is receiving other info…mail, texts, etc ...as it will do this hiccup when it is connected with the Y connector too, but only when receiving other information.
I like the T2 A and plan to keep it.
Old 11-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If the phone is trying to send phone audio to the T2A device then not only is it not connected to the PCM (which you indicate you had explicitly disconnected as the phone<->PCM bluetooth link does both phone audio and phonebook)... but the T2A apparently can do some part of the phone handling on its own.. and I'm wondering if that part of the T2A is getting in the way.

You would want your HFP (Hands free profile) bluetooth connection to be to the PCM, and the audio streaming A2DP profile to be to the T2A. Can you dispable HFP on the T2A via some setup/config options on it?

The hickups with this on occasion may indicate that the phone has problems communicating with two different devices via bluetooth at the same time. Can you pair a bluetooth device to two devices simultaneously? HFP to PCM, and A2DP to the dongle in the console?

Apple's bluetooth faq indicates a practical limit of 3-4 (while 7 is allowed per specification) : http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3887#howmany
Old 01-05-2014, 01:20 PM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was finally able to contact the guys from ViseeO (who make the Tune2Air) to get my login. They have a Facebook page and seem to respond faster to Facebook messages.
I was able to download the Firmware, but now I am waiting for a license code to install the Firmware...
I checked and I am on Firmware 3.2.0, here is the changelog for the latest versions:

V3.21 solves the issue :

Next track /Previous track doesn't work properly in some Mercedes (Head Unit A212-900-86-04) for Android phones.

V3.20 solves two issues as below :

1. The playback(next track/previous track/pause) doesn't work properly for Android phones.

2. The phone doesn't connect with tune2air when turning on the Bluetooth of the phone and pairing it with tune2air after left
tune2air power on for a while e.g. 20 minutes.

so I don't think upgrading to 3.2.1 will do much for me.

You can check your firmware version like this:
When your iPhone is paired with the Tune2Air:
Settings --> General --> ABout
Scroll Down and you should see an entry for TUNE2AIR
tap on it and you should see (amongst other things) the Firmware version
Did you ever get the upgrade? Did it solve the "hiccup" problem? Mine is new from around Christmas and has the same "hiccup". I suspect the answer is "no" as you also mentioned.
Old 01-05-2014, 05:38 PM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chris.hanle
Did you ever get the upgrade? Did it solve the "hiccup" problem? Mine is new from around Christmas and has the same "hiccup". I suspect the answer is "no" as you also mentioned.
I got the upgrade but it didn't solve the problem
Old 01-06-2014, 09:56 AM
chris.hanle
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks, a minor annoyance for an otherwise great accessory.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:34 AM
Rob Heath
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Minok
The hickups with this on occasion may indicate that the phone has problems communicating with two different devices via bluetooth at the same time. Can you pair a bluetooth device to two devices simultaneously? HFP to PCM, and A2DP to the dongle in the console?
I got a Tune2Air WMA1000 for Christmas and after contacting the eBay seller who forwarded my email to manufacturer it appears that the "hiccups" in the audio signal occur because the the two bluetooth connections to my iPhone 4S are causing a conflict with each other.

Previous to the T2A I had been connecting the phone via the Y cable which is a PIA since the iPhone 4S (and I'm sure the 5) do not fit well in the console compartment. The need to bend the Y cable enough to make the iPhone fit in the compartment every day resulted in me needing to buy another Y cable after 3 months of ownership.

T2A is connected via a new Y cable to audio interface in console then bluetooth to the phone. Lots of room.

PCM HFP (hands free profile) for the phone connection is connected directly via bluetooth as a 2nd bluetooth connection to the phone.

From communications with the manufacturer I cleared both blue tooth pairings (forget this device) and paired first with the T2A and then to the PCM for the phone. Much less hiccups when paired to T2A first... but they are still there and IMO I still find them annoying to my listening.

If I clear the blue tooth pairing to the PCM from the phone the T2A works fine, no hiccups. Very clear audio. That would be a good solution however I do use my phone in the car fairly often and want to use the phone hands free.

Works great in my wife's MB, but she has no phone connection, there is only one bluetooth connection going on.

I'm neutral at best on recommending this to anyone thinking of using T2A with their PCM and also want to use hands free phone profile.

Will keep following this thread to see if anyone comes up with a connection approach that eliminates the hiccups.

Thanks
Old 01-13-2014, 10:43 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

One more bit of information:
I am using the Tune2Air in my 2009 C4S and my 2006 X3.
Works without a hitch in the BMW, so I believe that the problem lies in the bluetooth implementation of the PCM.
Further evidence: I have a Pebble smart watch which connects to the iPhone via 2 BT connections.
Everything works great in the BMW, In the C4S however, when I have the Pebble paired to the iPhone the phone won't even sync with the PCM, so something's flaky with the PCM's BT implementation.
Old 02-06-2014, 05:58 AM
Mizzle
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to this forum I bumped into the Viseeo Tune2Air (T2A), ordered it and am very pleased with it! I thought it might be usefull to give my feedback too, since I have a slightly different setup. I drive a 2009 C2S, PCM v 147 and a HTC One Android phone (Android 4.3). Remarkably I do not notice any hiccups at all during audio playback (Spotify, Soundcloud etc) with simulteneous BT connections - needless to say I am very critical on those things. The main difference is I'm using the HTC One and the downside of using an Android device is that it does not offer the integration with the iPod interface as nice as an iPhone (no Artist or track info on the PCM screen). Depsite that, I was so fed up with Apple (in general) that I switched a while ago.

Overall, I do think the hiccups are due to the combination of iPhone - T2A - PCM, not just the PCM's BT implementation since they are not present when using my HTC for streaming BT audio.

There is another problem: I do notice some "cracky" phone audio, when making calls with both BT connections active, the people I talk to have no complaints on the quality but inside the car they do not sound very crisp.

*EDIT*: Accidentally, I found a workaround for the cracky-sounding phone BT connection. Since the PCM's USB outlet seems to have continuous power, also when the car is locked, when entering the car the T2A will be de 1st device that is paired. (In the BT menu, in the T2A BT connection settings, I ticked off the phone audio and just ticked the media-audio).

Once you turn the ignition the PCM boots and connects to the phone. In this situation, I noticed the cracky phone call-audio. However, when I manually disconnect the phone (through the phone's BT menu) and reconnecting in the same menu after 5 seconds, the phone audio is flawless. I don't see any logic in this but it works flawless! So not 100% perfect solution but definitely good enough! Very happy user now - just hoping for an update so T2A will show artist and track info from the Android devices!

Last edited by Mizzle; 02-10-2014 at 06:18 AM. Reason: new experience
Old 02-12-2014, 04:57 PM
red grenadine
AutoX

Hi guys

Going to buy a Tune2Air for my 997 GTS but wondering what type of cable I will need? Seems the iPod port looks like a proprietary round port? Does the Tune2Air come with a cable?
Old 02-12-2014, 08:45 PM
Frugger
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe you need something like the below (but also need to have the ports for it under the arm rest). This is what I have in my Targa.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...9972electronic
Old 02-13-2014, 10:36 AM
red grenadine
AutoX

Originally Posted by Frugger
I believe you need something like the below (but also need to have the ports for it under the arm rest). This is what I have in my Targa.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...9972electronic
Great thank you! I have the same ports as that photo so hopefully it works.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:11 AM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I seemed to have noticed an improvement in the hiccups when I turned off wifi on my iphone. Can anyone else confirm.? Not sure if hiccups could be related to intermittent hot spots while driving.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:48 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ajayabb
I seemed to have noticed an improvement in the hiccups when I turned off wifi on my iphone. Can anyone else confirm.? Not sure if hiccups could be related to intermittent hot spots while driving.
Interesting. We are snowed in this week, but I will try to test as soon as I can get out. I had an inkling that the hiccups might be related to geography in some way as unconsciously I seemed to be expecting the hiccups in certain areas on my normal routes. I was thinking that there might be some correlation to the cellular coverage area.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:02 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by red grenadine
Hi guys

Going to buy a Tune2Air for my 997 GTS but wondering what type of cable I will need? Seems the iPod port looks like a proprietary round port? Does the Tune2Air come with a cable?
The cable you need should have come with the car. If the dealer/prior owner lost it, you can buy a new one. Get the Y shaped cable that pulls 5v from the USB port and the iPod round cable for the UAI round DIN port.

Quick Reply: A2DP and PCM 3.0 (bluetooth streaming)