Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A2DP and PCM 3.0 (bluetooth streaming)

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 11:38 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 104 Likes on 78 Posts

The only solution plugs in to a old 30pin Apple connector which allows you to use the PCM to control.

PS. I resurrected this thread becuase I'm looking for a A2DP solution.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:32 AM
MMK110464
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dtodd
Just got this from Costco.ca, works beautifully!

http://www.costco.ca/Aluratek%C2%AE-...&storeId=10302
Hi Todd:

Can you control the iphone from the pcm?

TIA
Old 04-08-2015, 10:57 AM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

I'm assuming it works from the PCM 3.0. Otherwise there are a million solutions that will work with the 3.5mm plug and bluetooth as an aux input with no controlling form the PCM.

I just bought this:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/aluratek...=1218987691917

It's the same make and model number as Todd's link from Costco Canada. It does not work.
However, after looking more, the casing looks different even though the model numbers are the same.

In the States, Newegg sells one that looks like that Costco Canada model. For some reason I can't order from Costco Canada even though I am a Costco USA member. Admittedly I didn't try really hard, I could probably call them and see what the deal is.

Last edited by 3Series; 04-08-2015 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-08-2015, 01:18 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Ok I put bluetooth intergration in my 997.1 because the PCM doesn't have an aux plug. But if I had a 997.2 with the USB connecter in the console I would just leave a lightning cord in it and connect up my iphone in the car. I do that even now just to keep it charged while I'm driving and streaming music.
Old 04-08-2015, 02:04 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ben Z
Ok I put bluetooth intergration in my 997.1 because the PCM doesn't have an aux plug. But if I had a 997.2 with the USB connecter in the console I would just leave a lightning cord in it and connect up my iphone in the car. I do that even now just to keep it charged while I'm driving and streaming music.

The PCM in the 997.1 is a whole different animal.

PCM 3.0 in the 997.2 allows you to control the phone/iPod from the PCM. It displays the song/artist info, play lists etc. If you use Aux, you have to touch the phone to advance songs etc..

Almost all newer cars (nicer ones at least) allow the same functionality as PCM 3.0 but through Bluetooth so you don't have to plug a phone in.
Old 04-08-2015, 09:36 PM
dtodd
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MMK110464
Hi Todd:

Can you control the iphone from the pcm?

TIA
Yes I can control the music playback and track selection via PCM. I see all the folders...
Old 04-08-2015, 09:37 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series

PCM 3.0 in the 997.2 allows you to control the phone/iPod from the PCM. It displays the song/artist info, play lists etc. If you use Aux, you have to touch the phone to advance songs etc..
What if you plug the phone into the USB port, not the 3.5mm aux? Will it hand off function to the PCM 3.0 (obviously would need to have the phone set to speakerphone and use the phone's mic because without the bluetooth module there's no mic in the car) or just charge the phone?
Old 04-09-2015, 03:49 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

What if you plug the phone into the USB port, not the 3.5mm aux? Will it hand off function to the PCM 3.0 (obviously would need to have the phone set to speakerphone and use the phone's mic because without the Bluetooth module there's no mic in the car) or just charge the phone?
Never tried that with a phone.

PCM 3.0 has 3 ports.

1.) 3.5MM Aux
2.) USB
3.) Proprietary Port for Porsche/iPod Cable.

To use an iPhone/iPod, you plug the Porsche cable (Y Cable) into the USB (power) and Proprietary port. Then you plug the other end of the Porsche cable into your phone.

Once that is done, you can control the songs, folders through the PCM and the artist/song info displays.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:02 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

What if you plug the phone into the USB port, not the 3.5mm aux? Will it hand off function to the PCM 3.0 (obviously would need to have the phone set to speakerphone and use the phone's mic because without the bluetooth module there's no mic in the car) or just charge the phone?
No it won't.

The 3.5mm plug gets you AUX audio in only - you manually control the phone, and its headphone out is fed to the PCM.

The USB only provides 5v DC charging to the phone, and accesses the file system the phone provides - which is NOT the same as the music library in the phone. All I ever see there on the PC is the photos folder, never the audio storage folders.

The DIN port is the only one that feeds PCM control command to the iDevice attached to it.
Old 04-12-2015, 07:18 PM
MMK110464
Instructor

Originally Posted by dtodd
Yes I can control the music playback and track selection via PCM. I see all the folders...
Thanks Todd.

I just tried it and wasn't able to control the iphone from the PCM. I was able to stream music from the iphone though. I have a 997.2 and and iphone 4s. What gives?
Old 04-13-2015, 04:12 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by MMK110464
Thanks Todd.

I just tried it and wasn't able to control the iphone from the PCM. I was able to stream music from the iphone though. I have a 997.2 and and iphone 4s. What gives?
The question answers from the product listing on Amazon.com seem to say that this device only gives you wireless transmission of the AUDIO stream - but that it doesn't provide the data management stuff such as track listings and control of track advance etc.

Amazon Amazon
Old 04-14-2015, 09:08 AM
MMK110464
Instructor

Originally Posted by Minok
The question answers from the product listing on Amazon.com seem to say that this device only gives you wireless transmission of the AUDIO stream - but that it doesn't provide the data management stuff such as track listings and control of track advance etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Aluratek-Bluet...o+Receiver#Ask
Thanks for the reply. You are correct.
Old 04-14-2015, 11:53 AM
dtodd
Advanced

Originally Posted by Minok

http://www.amazon.com/Aluratek-Bluet...o+Receiver#Ask

CORRECTION: My bad! I got confused with my '14 Cayenne which I can see folders and control songs. On the 911 with the Aluratek, it just streams the music, I control on the phone... Sorry guys!
Old 04-26-2015, 04:38 PM
red grenadine
AutoX

Question for those using the Y cable with the tune2air

Does leaving it plugged into the USB / iPod port make it continue to draw a charge (and potentially kill the battery)?

I've been using one but unplugging / replugging it in and managed to break the pins on the iPod port connection of my cable. So I'm wondering if I've been too **** about unplugging it and if it's fine just keeping the new one I ordered plugged in

Or should I just keep the ipod port connection plugged in but unplug the USB port

Thanks
Old 04-26-2015, 05:58 PM
makemann
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I keep mine plugged in for days at a time without any discernible battery drain. If I know I'm not going to drive my car for a week or more, I plug in the battery tender.

Originally Posted by red grenadine
Question for those using the Y cable with the tune2air

Does leaving it plugged into the USB / iPod port make it continue to draw a charge (and potentially kill the battery)?

I've been using one but unplugging / replugging it in and managed to break the pins on the iPod port connection of my cable. So I'm wondering if I've been too **** about unplugging it and if it's fine just keeping the new one I ordered plugged in

Or should I just keep the ipod port connection plugged in but unplug the USB port

Thanks

Quick Reply: A2DP and PCM 3.0 (bluetooth streaming)