Sponsored by:

A2DP and PCM 3.0 (bluetooth streaming)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 08:16 PM
red grenadine
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by makemann
I keep mine plugged in for days at a time without any discernible battery drain. If I know I'm not going to drive my car for a week or more, I plug in the battery tender.
Unfortunately not an option for me as I park in a garage in manhattan and go weeks at a time without driving it.

I think I'm going to try leaving the ipod port plugged in and just removing the usb plug. Hopefully that won't kill the battery. The blue light on the tune2air doesn't come on until the USB is plugged so I'm guessing that's the power source, and the ipod port doesn't draw any power
Old 04-28-2015, 05:56 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by red grenadine
Does leaving it plugged into the USB / iPod port make it continue to draw a charge (and potentially kill the battery)?
on my 997.2 using the non-Y cable to power an iPod - ie just the 12v - the care was NOT keeping the iPod charged - when the car was off, the iPod ran down its own battery flat, but the car's battery was still fine.

Now with the Y-cable and modern iWidgets (that don't take 12vDC charging but 5vDC charging) they would draw from the USB port - and I suspect that port, also doesn't provide power when the car is off.

It should be checkable with a USB flash drive that has a power indicator light on them. Not sure if a phone plugged in would necessarily indicate a charge is ongoing (as it could be the power level ) but your phone plugged into the USB port when the car is shut off (key pulled out) may indicate if it gets power from the USB port.
Old 05-01-2015, 11:55 AM
dmaxx
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Based on those with experience with Tune2Air, would you recommend the device?

As an aside, I have read elsewhere that the "skipping" issues are related to having the phone paired with the car as well as to the device.
Old 05-01-2015, 12:34 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx

As an aside, I have read elsewhere that the "skipping" issues are related to having the phone paired with the car as well as to the device.
Yes, I use this device every time I drive my car. You are correct that the 'skipping' issue is a conflict of the bt signal when paired with the PCM phone interface and the Tune2air device. If you are only connected to the Tune2air device, then there will be no skipping ever. This has been my experience. I do not talk on the phone in the car much anyway and simply use the headphone/mic if I do. This provides clearer sound for both parties anyway.

Edit: If you do pair to both the PCM and Tune2air and experience skipping you will need to 'forget' both devices in your phone's bt settings, reset your phone, unplug and replug the Tune2air into both the iPod and USB power, then resync with the Tune2air on your phone. I found that simply 'forgetting' the PCM on my phone did not eleviate the skipping issue until I did the above steps. It has not reoccured since then and that was about six weeks ago.

For those referencing battery drain, you may not be aware that the USB powered connection in the arm rest remains powered for 15 minutes (it might be 20) after the vehicle has been turned off and the key removed. After which, there is no more power provided to the USB and no opportunity for battery drain. It's not even a 1amp draw on that USB so there's little chance your battery drain is due to the power drawn from the USB connection.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by nwGTS; 05-01-2015 at 12:37 PM. Reason: skipping issue clarification
Old 05-01-2015, 02:43 PM
n1gels
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Yes, I use this device every time I drive my car.
One issue I've had with this device is that it doesn't automatically pair with my iPhone 6 when I get in the car. In fact it mostly doesn't pair. I usually have to do some combination of disabling and then enabling Bluetooth on my phone, or unplugging and replugging in the Tune2Air. Does your phone connect reliably?

This may be obvious, but it was a nice surprise to discover, is that you're not limited to listening to music you've loaded onto your phone. Anything the phone can play, you can play through the PCM. So, streaming services like Spotify and Pandora are playable.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:00 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by n1gels
One issue I've had with this device is that it doesn't automatically pair with my iPhone 6 when I get in the car. In fact it mostly doesn't pair. I usually have to do some combination of disabling and then enabling Bluetooth on my phone, or unplugging and replugging in the Tune2Air. Does your phone connect reliably?

This may be obvious, but it was a nice surprise to discover, is that you're not limited to listening to music you've loaded onto your phone. Anything the phone can play, you can play through the PCM. So, streaming services like Spotify and Pandora are playable.
Yes, I actually only consume music via XM or Spotify. Also to note but has been said many times before is that any music service on your iPhone accessed via the Tune2air device is completely controllable through the PCM and will even display the track ID information.

To your question, my iPhone 5S synchs almost immediately after USB power is turned on when I unlock the car. So, before I even have my seatbelt on, I can start playing music. It synchs reliably and consistently. I've not had the same problem you are having. I would check your bluetooth settings in your phone. There may be some protocol that calls for automatic pairing to be enabled/disabled, but I'm afraid I can't offer any more advice than that. Sorry you're experiencing that. This device really is a terrific product for me. It hides away in the console, works 100% of the time, and does everything I would require of an aftermarket headunit for an order of magnitude lower in cost. And I have this forum to thank for introducing it to me.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:08 PM
n1gels
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To your question, my iPhone 5S synchs almost immediately after USB power is turned on when I unlock the car. So, before I even have my seatbelt on, I can start playing music.
That's really good to know. It sounds like I should do some more experimentation to see if I can get it working as reliably as it does for you. I think it's currently set up to pair with my phone, so perhaps that's a factor.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:38 PM
dmaxx
Track Day

Yes, I actually only consume music via XM or Spotify. Also to note but has been said many times before is that any music service on your iPhone accessed via the Tune2air device is completely controllable through the PCM and will even display the track ID information.
That's great to hear as I basically listen to XM only. Did you purchase direct or through Amazon (or other).

I have an iPhone5 as well. nwGTS, What version of IOS are you running and did you upgrade the firmware in the Tune2Air?

RE: iPhone6 , I have read on an Amazon seller's web site of a large number of folks having problems with the iPhone6 although a some don't seem to have problems.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:59 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

That's great to hear as I basically listen to XM only. Did you purchase direct or through Amazon (or other).
I purchased through Amazon. This is the exact unit I purchased:
http://amzn.com/B00B52LLJ6

I have an iPhone5 as well. nwGTS, What version of IOS are you running and did you upgrade the firmware in the Tune2Air?
I have the most current iOS version, 8.3 (12F70). It was not necessary for me to update the firmware on the Tune2Air. I can't give you the firmware version but I'm running whatever it was shipped with as of Feb 1, 2015.
Old 05-06-2015, 05:30 PM
dmaxx
Track Day

I purchased through Amazon. This is the exact unit I purchased:
http://amzn.com/B00B52LLJ6
Just got it and it works just as you said, thanks, it is great.

Only comment is the connector does not always click firmly into place which causes the PCM to no longer see the iPhone, but that is easily addressed.
Old 05-07-2015, 04:56 PM
Minok
Drifting

From what you described, the phone has issues with its Bluetooth implementation -if you are getting skipping.

The bluetooth standard has no issues with a device (phone) being paired with multiple other devices (PCM for telephone calls, gadget for audio streaming). The standard allows for many more simultaneous connections.

That and given the inability to fix it by just having the phone 'forget' the PCM bluetooth interface, indicates the phone cannot do well with full bluetooth specification compliance.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:49 PM
Daohaus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed mine yesterday as the ipod cable finally arrived from Suncoast. connected everything up and paired the Tune2Air to my Galaxy S6 Edge and viola streaming BT audio. Only drawback is that I do not get song info on the PCM but I can live with that now that I can stream music. No muss no fuss with this install.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:03 PM
ELMEL
Instructor

Just a quick update in case it helps anyone...

I just discovered that on cars that are A2DP capable, you must first unplug a physically connected iPhone before the AUX-BLUETOOTH option will appear. Apparently, you cannot use both at the same time.

Also, on a related note, I had no idea that my 2014 Panamera had Aha Radio, but I installed the app on my iPhone, and it appears on the PCM as a source (when the iPhone is physically plugged in). I wish this worked with Pandora, but I'll give Aha a try.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:33 PM
Minok
Drifting

Originally Posted by ELMEL
Just a quick update in case it helps anyone...

I just discovered that on cars that are A2DP capable, you must first unplug a physically connected iPhone before the AUX-BLUETOOTH option will appear. Apparently, you cannot use both at the same time.
Can you clarify? A2DP IS a bluetooth connection, yes? Aux is a hard-wired stereo connection to the PCM. Physically connected is the 3rd way - via the Apple->DIN cable.

So you are saying that to get the AUX and the Bluetooth(A2DP) to appear as audio sources (for the PCMs that have A2DP audio capability) you must unplug the phone from the physical DIN/Apple port first?

That would make sense, as the system is probably set up to take input from one of the audio sources only. Dues USB still work while plugged in?

What PCM provides A2DP? Or are you talking about the 3rd party modules?
Old 06-10-2015, 09:52 PM
ELMEL
Instructor

Originally Posted by Minok
Can you clarify? A2DP IS a bluetooth connection, yes? Aux is a hard-wired stereo connection to the PCM. Physically connected is the 3rd way - via the Apple->DIN cable.

So you are saying that to get the AUX and the Bluetooth(A2DP) to appear as audio sources (for the PCMs that have A2DP audio capability) you must unplug the phone from the physical DIN/Apple port first?

That would make sense, as the system is probably set up to take input from one of the audio sources only. Dues USB still work while plugged in?

What PCM provides A2DP? Or are you talking about the 3rd party modules?
Yes, A2DP is a Bluetooth connection.

AUX appears no matter what. AUX/BT appears only if the iOS device is not connected via cable. So, for example, in my case I have an iPod that is connected via cable, but I also want the ability to stream audio (Pandora for example) from my iPhone via AUX/BT. I can do either, but not if both connections are made at the same time. For me to use the AUX/BT with my iPhone, I have to first unplug the iPod from the USB port.

All of the above is my own experience. I know the programming varies from PCM version to version, so you may get different results.

I'm not sure which version of PCM offer A2DP, but I'm pretty sure mine is 3.1. So, no, I'm not using any third-party modules for Bluetooth capability.

Does that all make sense? I'm happy to try to clarify.

Quick Reply: A2DP and PCM 3.0 (bluetooth streaming)