Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A2DP and PCM 3.0 (bluetooth streaming)

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 02:49 PM
A4EP
Racer

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks for the suggestion on the Tune2Air device. I got it today and it is simply awesome! Works flawlessly and even better is that the original ipod adapter cable for the 997 that does not have the USB connector works just fine. This means i can use the Tune2Air and charge the iPhone with the normal white usb charging cable!
Old 10-19-2013, 03:16 PM
civerson4
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With the Tune 2 Air are you able to connect to both the phone (PCM bluetooth) and the audio (Tune 2 Air Blueooth) simultaneously? I have an iphone 5--seems like a perfect solution as long you do not lose the ability to make bluetooth phone calls.

Thanks
Old 10-19-2013, 09:22 PM
n1gels
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by civerson4
With the Tune 2 Air are you able to connect to both the phone (PCM bluetooth) and the audio (Tune 2 Air Blueooth) simultaneously? I have an iphone 5--seems like a perfect solution as long you do not lose the ability to make bluetooth phone calls.
It looks like you can do both, but I've noticed that with my iPhone 4S, audio streaming over Bluetooth breaks up randomly. After unregisterimg my phone audio playback is now perfect. I'd be curious if anyone else is experiencing this problem with Tune2Air. I just installed so it might be a defective unit, or in need of a firmware update (apparently not a straightforward process).
Old 10-20-2013, 12:03 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Received 457 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by n1gels
It looks like you can do both, but I've noticed that with my iPhone 4S, audio streaming over Bluetooth breaks up randomly. After unregisterimg my phone audio playback is now perfect. I'd be curious if anyone else is experiencing this problem with Tune2Air. I just installed so it might be a defective unit, or in need of a firmware update (apparently not a straightforward process).
What do you mean with "unregistering"?
Old 10-20-2013, 03:29 AM
n1gels
Racer

Originally Posted by Hatzenbach
What do you mean with "unregistering"?
Sorry, I was being vague since I wasn't near my car to see what the function was called. In Bluetooth terminology it's unpairing, but I think the PCM button is labeled "disconnect".
Old 10-20-2013, 09:35 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

N1gels. It sounds like that forces the information through one Bluetooth stream instead of phone calls through phone Bluetooth and music through Tune2air?
I am waiting on my order. I will report how it acts on my '12 997s
Old 10-20-2013, 10:17 PM
n1gels
Racer

Originally Posted by Yet anothercrisis
N1gels. It sounds like that forces the information through one Bluetooth stream instead of phone calls through phone Bluetooth and music through Tune2air?
I am waiting on my order. I will report how it acts on my '12 997s
I just checked the actual name of the button on the PCM. It's "Disconnect Profile". This disables the Bluetooth connection between the phone and the Porsche PCM, while leaving the Bluetooth connection to the Tune2Air active.

At first I thought the Bluetooth connection was weak, so I took my iPhone out of my pocket and put it on the seat, and then in the arm rest compartment next to the Tune2Air. This made no difference to the audio breaking up.

I have version 1.47 of the PCM software in my '09 997. It'll be interesting to compare notes when you receive your Tune2Air. Note that you need to be driving for the problem to manifest itself - it works fine when parked.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:52 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

As the PCM's bluetooth radio does not support audio playback over bluetooth (the protocol isn't supported by the PCM) I can imagine the pairing of the device with the PCM may be causing the device some heartburn if its trying to stream audio out over bluetooth to a PCM that doesn't support that connection type.
Old 10-21-2013, 06:22 PM
n1gels
Racer

Originally Posted by Minok
As the PCM's bluetooth radio does not support audio playback over bluetooth (the protocol isn't supported by the PCM) I can imagine the pairing of the device with the PCM may be causing the device some heartburn if its trying to stream audio out over bluetooth to a PCM that doesn't support that connection type.
Good thought, but with Tune2Air, the phone is streaming through the iPod cable input to the PCM. So, in theory, it should look the same to the PCM as playing audio with an iPod connected to the cable while a phone is paired over Bluetooth to the PCM.

I'm starting to wonder if it's actually an issue with the phone being simultaneously paired to two Bluetooth devices. My guess is that the phone is communicating signal strength information or other data to the PCM and this Bluetooth "multi-tasking" interrupts the audio streaming from the phone. It would be interesting to pair two phones in the car - one to the PCM over Bluetooth and one to the Tune2Air. If the problem isn't present, then its the phone that's having the problem.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:02 PM
Minok
Drifting

Agreed. That is indeed the state - audio is communicated via the hardwired connection to the PCM, and the phone via Bluetooth to the PCM.

That the phone is streaming audio via bluetooth to the dongle, which then sends it to the PCM is something oblivious to the PCM.

But the phone and the dongle need to be able to operate cleanly. So the phone needs to be able to maintain the two bluetooth connections simultaneously, and the dongle needs to be able focus on just the bluetooth connection to the phone and not get distracted by a PCM bluetooth signal.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:36 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

I just got the device as well, and it's absolutely great.
I have the same random short (maybe 1/10 of a second) disconnect problem.
It happens randomly and only when the phone is also paired to the PCM via Bluetooth.
I then plugged the Tune2Air into my 2006 BMW X3 (where I have a DICE kit) and it works flawlessly, none of these short spikes.

But nevertheless I would buy it again
Old 10-24-2013, 01:51 AM
n1gels
Racer

I just got the device as well, and it's absolutely great.
I have the same random short (maybe 1/10 of a second) disconnect problem.
It happens randomly and only when the phone is also paired to the PCM via Bluetooth.
Ah, it's good to know it's not just my set up that behaves this way. I agree with you, it's great to have the ability to stream audio over Bluetooth, and for that it works really well.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:53 AM
Hatzenbach
Rennlist Member

Ah, it's good to know it's not just my set up that behaves this way. I agree with you, it's great to have the ability to stream audio over Bluetooth, and for that it works really well.
I was finally able to contact the guys from ViseeO (who make the Tune2Air) to get my login. They have a Facebook page and seem to respond faster to Facebook messages.
I was able to download the Firmware, but now I am waiting for a license code to install the Firmware...
I checked and I am on Firmware 3.2.0, here is the changelog for the latest versions:

V3.21 solves the issue :

Next track /Previous track doesn't work properly in some Mercedes (Head Unit A212-900-86-04) for Android phones.

V3.20 solves two issues as below :

1. The playback(next track/previous track/pause) doesn't work properly for Android phones.

2. The phone doesn't connect with tune2air when turning on the Bluetooth of the phone and pairing it with tune2air after left
tune2air power on for a while e.g. 20 minutes.

so I don't think upgrading to 3.2.1 will do much for me.

You can check your firmware version like this:
When your iPhone is paired with the Tune2Air:
Settings --> General --> ABout
Scroll Down and you should see an entry for TUNE2AIR
tap on it and you should see (amongst other things) the Firmware version
Old 10-29-2013, 04:08 PM
Minok
Drifting

I was finally able to contact the guys from ViseeO (who make the Tune2Air) to get my login. They have a Facebook page and seem to respond faster to Facebook messages.
I was able to download the Firmware, but now I am waiting for a license code to install the Firmware...
What the hell? License codes to install a firmware upgrade? What sort of nonsense business model is this? You purchased the hardware.. every other maker of hardware I can think of lets you install firmware without such license code activations and accounts. This isn't vertical market engineering software or some such, its a bloody bluetooth streaming dongle!
Old 11-02-2013, 09:59 PM
Yet anothercrisis
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I finally was able to get my new Tune2Air device and my 2012 C2s in the same place for a while. It took me about 10 or 12 tries to get the T2A to connect with my iPhone 5. This was even after I removed the PCM connection in the phone's bluetooth memory list. Finally after connecting, I was able to use the phone as an iPod flawlessly. I really like being able to get in the car and have the music I want, though the USB drive worked well too.

I realized after a few minutes though that I did not have a cell phone connection through the PCM. I could try to make a call with the phone and the phone would ask if I wanted the T2A speaker to handle the call, but I could never move the check mark to put the call through the T2A.

I like having the phone auto connect with my PCM when I get in the car, so if I can't figure this out, I will go back to the USB drive or just go through the motions of hooking up the phone to the Y connect cord in the console to get the music i want. When I connect with the Y cord it gives me phone and music through the PCM

Anyone know what I might need to do to connect the phone through T2A?

Thanks

Quick Reply: A2DP and PCM 3.0 (bluetooth streaming)