Sponsored by:

Slow cranking after running

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Preslisa64
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slow cranking after running

Just purchased a 05 C2S...awesome car. 50,000 miles or so. However I noticed that after running the car, when i go to restart the engine, it cranks very slow. So far, the engine still starts but it is a little embarrassing. I've read some older threads on this issue. But wanted to know what the latest possible solution is to fix this problem is out there. The battery is fairly new and i believe the alternator is in good shape. Thanks
Old 02-11-2011, 07:21 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Some 997's have a bad ground. Sounds like your car may need the wiring fix done. Dealer should be familiar with this problem.

Was there a recall for this problem? Anyone know?

GL

Phil
Old 02-11-2011, 08:06 PM
Preslisa64
Track Day

Additionally, after reading thru the service records, I found that the previous owner reported this same problem to a Porsche dealer.

The Porsche dealer indicated the charging system was ok but the battery was low two cells.. They replaced the battery and purchased trickle charger. This was in July 09.

I just purchased this vehicle in the cold Midwest climates

Hopefully, it's just another battery issue. But it's only been two years. I would think the battery would last longer
Old 02-11-2011, 08:38 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Preslisa64
Additionally, after reading thru the service records, I found that the previous owner reported this same problem to a Porsche dealer.

The Porsche dealer indicated the charging system was ok but the battery was low two cells.. They replaced the battery and purchased trickle charger. This was in July 09.

I just purchased this vehicle in the cold Midwest climates

Hopefully, it's just another battery issue. But it's only been two years. I would think the battery would last longer
all that is very easy to check. get a multimeter and connect it to battery - check the voltage, start up your car, check if voltage went to 13.x something at least. if it was 12.x and remained 12.x - you have issues with charging - ether wires or alternator, who knows. if voltage jumps up fine - just get a new battery and repeat test again, old battery and new battery. if it still cranks slow with new battery - then contact your service manager and let them dig into it. new battery is under $100 from any local retail.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:20 AM
TerpsRED
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought I was running into the same issue on my 06 C2. Started to queue up things for the dealer to check out on my next visit. Then one REALLY cold day my car barely started up. I trotted over to the local wal-ly world and picked up the everstart maxx 94-r. The car fires up with pep every morning and has no issues after sitting outside on really cold days either.

For $82 it is a really easy DIY.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:30 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I just got a new battery and the issue went away for a while. But it recurred last weekend. Sounds like I need to get out the multi-meter.
Old 02-12-2011, 11:35 AM
mten
Advanced

I had similar problem on mine... took it to the dealer and this is what they said:
997.1S car has slow crank when starting, high resistance found in alternator/starter cable. Removed airbox, alternator, a/c compressor, throttle body, center intake, power steering reservoir, underbody panel. Loosen transmission mounting to gain clearance for removal of B+ cable to alternator and starter. Replaced cable. They also replaced my battery with a new one.

part number
997-607-018-04 AS Cable Loom
999-611-080-20 Dry Battery Not

The service was under warranty.

Had this done about 6 months ago, and the slow cranking has not occurred back.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:36 PM
Preslisa64
Track Day

Originally Posted by mten
I had similar problem on mine... took it to the dealer and this is what they said:
997.1S car has slow crank when starting, high resistance found in alternator/starter cable. Removed airbox, alternator, a/c compressor, throttle body, center intake, power steering reservoir, underbody panel. Loosen transmission mounting to gain clearance for removal of B+ cable to alternator and starter. Replaced cable. They also replaced my battery with a new one.

part number
997-607-018-04 AS Cable Loom
999-611-080-20 Dry Battery Not

The service was under warranty.

Had this done about 6 months ago, and the slow cranking has not occurred back.
Wow, just read the last post. Unfortunatly, my car is out of warranty. 05. With 53,000 miles. If the battery is not the issue, how much would a mechanic charge to fix the alternator/starter cable. Estimate
Old 02-12-2011, 12:38 PM
Preslisa64
Track Day

Or better yet. About how many hours would it take for the mechanic to complete the A/S fix
Old 02-13-2011, 09:09 AM
signature65
Instructor

Mine is starting to do the same thing......Im figuring its the battery cable. FML
Old 02-13-2011, 12:04 PM
swajames
Racer

I sometimes have a similar issue. My car is a late 2008, but has only been driven 11000 miles or so. With work travel, the car sometimes sits for a week or two. I'm guessing for me the issue is battery related and that it's due to the limited use. I'll probably try a new battery and see if that helps.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:16 PM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Preslisa64
Wow, just read the last post. Unfortunatly, my car is out of warranty. 05. With 53,000 miles. If the battery is not the issue, how much would a mechanic charge to fix the alternator/starter cable. Estimate
I remember a figure of 700-800 dollars being tossed around on a previous post
Old 02-13-2011, 01:23 PM
Bigwave
Instructor

I have this issue reoccurring on my car. I have 72k on a 06C2S. At 30k miles +or- this issue first came up and after the deal giving up with no answer on how to fix this (Newport Porsche) I found the answer on this web site. The wire harness loom from the battery to the starter actually melts down. The increased resistance is just enough to make it difficult to start once the engine is heat soaked. Start the car when cold is fine. Get it up to running temp. and stop and try to restart while hot will result is the slow crank issue and in time will also drain your battery and even cause damage to your starter motor. I don’t know if there was an actual recall or TSB but I need the service done again myself. The independent shop in my area said the dealer should have replaced the cable with a heavy duty version to prevent this from reoccurring but I’m sure Newport failed to do that. They could not change a light bulb correctly.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:08 PM
Preslisa64
Track Day

Awesome feedback..... 700-800 dollars, Not as much as I expected to get the issue fixed after reading what "mten" user said what the service consisted of.
He also indicated that the a/s cable part number was.....
997-601-01-04. AS cable loom.....is this the heavy duty cable suggested above?
Old 02-13-2011, 09:32 PM
mten
Advanced

I was told by the dealer what they installed was a heavier gauge cable. They told me this was part of a TSB.

Quick Reply: Slow cranking after running