Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Here's the thread
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...w-voltage.html
Old 02-14-2011, 01:09 AM
Michael911
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the same problem and brought the car in for service, $900 wiring harness replacement seems to have solved the problem. Dealer said there is a service bulletin out on this. Hot starts, the battery acted like it was on its last leg, when cold it starts right up...
Old 02-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had this issue with my MY05. Dealer replaced a bad cable, problem solved. Imagine that, a simple wiring cable for $900. My new 6-year bumper-to-bumper extended warranty just paid me back 20% of what I paid for it, and it's only been in force a month. But then, I've always gotten back well more than I paid for these warranties so it's no surprise to me.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:36 PM
Bigwave
Instructor

Ok here is a question for you. Say you have this done under warranty as I did and since there is a TSB on it. Will Porsche cover it again @ 71k miles with no warranty???
Old 02-15-2011, 09:13 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I doubt Porsche will cover it it. A TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin on how to repair/resolve an issue. It is not a general "recall" of X number of cars for a widespread problem.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:40 PM
Preslisa64
Track Day

Should I take this issue to a Porsche dealer and pay the big bucks or should i take it to one of the Porsche mechanic to have it checked out and fixed.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:43 AM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Preslisa64
Should I take this issue to a Porsche dealer and pay the big bucks or should i take it to one of the Porsche mechanic to have it checked out and fixed.
What issue? Your car is fixed isn't it?

Phil
Old 02-18-2011, 11:29 AM
Preslisa64
Track Day

Sorry, I'm the original thread starter. I'm the one with the slow crank after running issue Trying to determine should I take it to a Porsche dealer or goodcertified non- dealer mechanic for a fix
Old 02-18-2011, 12:24 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Preslisa64
Sorry, I'm the original thread starter. I'm the one with the slow crank after running issue Trying to determine should I take it to a Porsche dealer or goodcertified non- dealer mechanic for a fix
Sorry, must have got my threads confused.

Someone just got a new battery that fixed their problem.

Take the car to a shop you feel comfortable with. Indy shop is good if they have Porsche knowledge. Dealer should always be good. Maybe a bit more expensive.

Phil
Old 04-16-2011, 06:40 AM
mkaraoglan
4th Gear

Default warranty

what company do you have for warranty? tia
marc

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
Just had this issue with my MY05. Dealer replaced a bad cable, problem solved. Imagine that, a simple wiring cable for $900. My new 6-year bumper-to-bumper extended warranty just paid me back 20% of what I paid for it, and it's only been in force a month. But then, I've always gotten back well more than I paid for these warranties so it's no surprise to me.
Old 07-15-2011, 05:15 PM
Bigwave
Instructor

Can anyone tell me when the replacement cable was introduced?
The new part number is 997.607.019.03
The old defective part number is 997.607.019.02
Newport Porsche replaced mine in 2007 with the old number and it is failing again. The local indy shop felt it is worth a try to get the dealer to replace it since they used the old part number but I want to know if the replacement part was available at the time of service. Can't trust Newport to be honest without all the facts on my side.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:19 AM
Coloradoheel
Burning Brakes

Received 34 Likes on 18 Posts

Ijust bought an 07 C4S with 16k miles. PPI indicated new battery was needed. When they installed the new battery and re-set the codes, the mechanic realized it was the Alt/Batt cable. They replaced that under warranty.

Originally Posted by swajames
I sometimes have a similar issue. My car is a late 2008, but has only been driven 11000 miles or so. With work travel, the car sometimes sits for a week or two. I'm guessing for me the issue is battery related and that it's due to the limited use. I'll probably try a new battery and see if that helps.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:11 AM
swajames
Racer

Originally Posted by Coloradoheel
Ijust bought an 07 C4S with 16k miles. PPI indicated new battery was needed. When they installed the new battery and re-set the codes, the mechanic realized it was the Alt/Batt cable. They replaced that under warranty.
Thanks. I did end up replacing my battery too, and my issues went away. The car now starts perfectly under all circumstances. I suspect my OEM battery just died due to less frequent use.
Old 03-01-2012, 05:16 PM
lawt
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had exactly the same problem on my 06 C2S and managed to fix it. The above posts are correct, there is a fault in the heavy gauge B+ cable on the engine that feeds power to the starter - the fault is a poor crimp on the lug that bolts to the starter itself. This was a known fault for 05/06 cars and the approved fix is a new cable at great expense as the cable sits under the rest of the engine loom so is very difficult to access to replace. I repaired mine in situ which took about 1 hr. I bought a 35 quid hydraulic crimp tool off ebay and pulled out the air box, the throttle body and plenum. I could then remove the B+ cable end off the starter (battery disconnected) and pull it out towards the rear of the car sufficiently to get the crimp tool on. With the very powerful hydraulic tool the crimp was re-shaped and re-secured to the cable. All back together an perfect, cranks perfectly all the time, hot or cold.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:03 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Thanks. I did end up replacing my battery too, and my issues went away. The car now starts perfectly under all circumstances. I suspect my OEM battery just died due to less frequent use.
Good for you. Not everyone would be that resourceful. I'm glad I had a CPO to cover the cost of replacing my cable last year (which solved all my cranking problems, especially when car was hot).

Quick Reply: Slow cranking after running