Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My bud just bought a Maserati Granturismo

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 12:38 PM
csorrows
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also looked at Maserati's before I bought my 997. I think they're beautiful cars. But I'd heard lots of stories about the maintenance. Plus, here in the Bay Area, when I searched Craigslist for Maserati's, I'd get more hits than what I'd expected. Especially Quattroportes. There always seemed to be more up for sale than what I expected, and my guess was the owners got a taste of some frequent maintenance and decided to ditch the car.

They're nice cars, and might be fine as a 4th or 5th car, if I had that kind of money and garage space. But as a 1st or 2nd car, I decided to pass, and went with what was my first choice anyway...Porsche!
Old 01-09-2011, 11:41 PM
sbpsu354
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

30k for a Buick????
Old 01-17-2011, 05:53 PM
sailor
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I'm back to my 7th Porsche (997 C2 cab) after a 4 year stint with a Maserati Coupe (Precursor to the Gran Turismo). Same basic car as the newer one, just not quite as pretty. I must say, the Maserati was a different animal altogether, but an absolute joy to own and drive. Definately a Grand Tourer, not really a sports car, but with very respectable performance and a wonderful engine sound. Mine had the F-1 transmission, and that was the only real shortcoming....truly awful in stop and go traffic. Also, the cars eat clutches. Evidently, I got a good one because nothing went wrong with it...ever! I drove it equally with my boxster, and my Infinity FX35, so it wasn't really a daily driver, but certainly not a garage queen either. Unfortunately, my experience was not typical, as other owners regularly report maintenance costs in the $5K/yr range. After 25K miles, I was ready to get back into a 911, but it was a great car experience that I won't soon forget. After all, my 911's have all been great cars, but they never drew a crowd like the Maserati did. I consider myself lucky, and glad to be back!
Old 01-04-2013, 03:34 AM
sailor
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I drove a cambiocorse coupe (GT predecessor), basically exact same car, not as pretty. I traded it in for my 06 Carrera cab. Totally different cars. This is my 6th Porsche, 3rd 911 variant, so I'm officially a Porsche guy....but like to mess around a little. The Maserati was a wonderful car, very exclusive, and the engine was magical. The F1trans was awful though and maintenance,although rare, was very expensive. Again, a very different drive, much more GT than sports car, but very comfortable. Mine was my daily driver as my 997 is now.
Would I buy a GT.....Absolutely! As long as I can have a Porsche as well. By the way, my Maserati shared the garage with my Boxster....more very fond memories.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:27 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just going by looks, I'd say NO to the 'rati........
not that good looking of a car IMO...
and I've heard nothing but horror stories about
ownership
Old 01-04-2013, 09:00 AM
Chimcu
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

beautiful sounding car.. once I've joined the MOB.. I'll get one for sure
Old 01-04-2013, 12:13 PM
PCC
Instructor

My buddy has one and absolutely hates it. In the shop all the time. He gave it to his wife and bought a C4S. Whenever someone mentions Maseratio around him he goes off ! I love the looks of the car (and the Quattroporte) but would never buy one. Transmission is not smooth and clutches do not last.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:36 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Gorgeous car.

Hasn't it been panned for poor handling and a balky automanual gearbox?
Old 01-04-2013, 06:21 PM
zanwar
Pro

There are real answers here, if you're interested. I have no regrets so far. For the same price as a loaded 991, it's a bargain.

Old 01-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Beautiful cars, but they just don't seem to take abuse as well as a Porsche. But they do sound just absolutely amazing.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:44 PM
hakaida702
Racer

Great looking car, but I'd be too afraid of maintenance costs to own one.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:29 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 30 Posts

I've driven Porsches since 1975. Two years ago, I decided to cross off a "bucket list" item and try a Ferrari. As a mechanical engineer, I was disappointed with some of the "under engineered" components I experienced. These were simple items like fuel pumps, exhaust mountings, and the muffler. If they couldnot engineer these properly, how about the complex systems.

I'm sorry, but I would not want more of this with a Maserati. Only difference is the parts are less than a Ferrari, but still higher than anything from Zuffenhausen.

Italian sportscars are like super models. Hot one moment, then bitc*ing and crying for some expensive parts the next.

Just one man's experience.......
Old 01-06-2013, 06:19 PM
gvcap10
Racer

Couple of my friends have them and can't wait to get rid of them! Maintenance nightmare! Everything costs a fortune to fix. Never considered one, but if that's what floats your boat, maybe you'll get a good one?
Old 01-06-2013, 08:37 PM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
I've driven Porsches since 1975. Two years ago, I decided to cross off a "bucket list" item and try a Ferrari. As a mechanical engineer, I was disappointed with some of the "under engineered" components I experienced. These were simple items like fuel pumps, exhaust mountings, and the muffler. If they couldnot engineer these properly, how about the complex systems.

I'm sorry, but I would not want more of this with a Maserati. Only difference is the parts are less than a Ferrari, but still higher than anything from Zuffenhausen.

Italian sportscars are like super models. Hot one moment, then bitc*ing and crying for some expensive parts the next.

Just one man's experience.......
Old 01-07-2013, 02:16 AM
Papa Fittig
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 65 Posts

zanwar,
Gorgeous, gorgeous car! Thanks for posting those reviews. Engine power and exterior design are just incredible. As for overall engineering I trust Germans better

Quick Reply: My bud just bought a Maserati Granturismo