Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My bud just bought a Maserati Granturismo

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 02:45 AM
Zuffenhausener
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Purely aesthetically speaking, it is as beautiful looking and sounding as any current car I can think of. Strangely, it was when I was living it Stuttgart, home to all of the German super cars, that I would see them more than anyplace else I've been. Actual ownership might be an entirely different story, but it is a truly lusty car and it I'll bet it inspires very bad behavior.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,379 Likes on 798 Posts

I test drove what I recall to be an 08 GT as a potential replacement for my s-class daily.

I found the maser interior to be cheap and poorly finished with a distinct lack of attention to detail. The car sounds great, but i found the ride a bit firm, and the gearbox was a whole lot of meh. I liked the way the car looked, but aside from that, I was let down.

That said, i looked at some of the newer models at the dealer, and the interiors seemed to be improved. Even still, i'd much rather go with the bentley continental GT.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:48 AM
rotesAuto
Three Wheelin'

Location: North Carolina, '12 cls63 '14 S550V4, 07TT-gone, 07Targa4S-gone
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like a large concurance of no calls.....
why do guys buy these cars again????
Old 01-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I test drove what I recall to be an 08 GT as a potential replacement for my s-class daily.

I found the maser interior to be cheap and poorly finished with a distinct lack of attention to detail. The car sounds great, but i found the ride a bit firm, and the gearbox was a whole lot of meh. I liked the way the car looked, but aside from that, I was let down.

That said, i looked at some of the newer models at the dealer, and the interiors seemed to be improved. Even still, i'd much rather go with the bentley continental GT.
Frankly, I find the Continental GT boring as hell. After driving one, I nearly fell asleep behind the wheel. And I really don’t get the design: is it a GT trying to be a limo, or the other way around? I find its shape and proportions all wrong. It’s annoying looking, to say the least. Not in Maserati league by any stretch of the imagination.
Wrt slushy gearboxes, the later models Maserati GTS come with either a ZF (the maintenance free, slushy gearbox. Oh, yeah, and it’s German) or the Cambiocorse MC, which is not slushy at all and will knock your socks off once you experience it.
You really shouldn’t put one down if you’ve never driven or experienced one for a considerable length of time.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:05 PM
niner niner seven
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

engine in the wrong spot/no weight on drive wheels for max traction
Old 01-08-2013, 12:17 AM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by niner niner seven
engine in the wrong spot/no weight on drive wheels for max traction
Coming from a 997 4S it did seem like I was driving on ice to begin with.

The engine is behind the front axle line (it's a front mid-engined car, based on the Ferrari 612 platform). If they installed a luggage compartment ahead of the front wheels it would have more free space than the 911 frunk. The weight distribution is 49/51 for the ZF auto equipped cars they sell in the US. In Europe they sell a single clutch semi automatic (gearbox is from the 599 I believe) that's 47/53. The engine is based on the F430 block, built out with a cross plane crank to give it that muscle car sound.

Basically if Ferrari is Cadillac, Maserati is Buick.

Quick Reply: My bud just bought a Maserati Granturismo