Sponsored by:

997 Speedster, it's here

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 05:09 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by quickxotica
Wait, what? You asked two questions of him. He referred you to his answer, explaining his thinking.

Now you respond by telling him not to quote you (?), calling him an insect (?) and insinuating some other personal insult based on his avatar?

That is very strange behavior... unless of course your intent is simply to instigate useless flame wars (i.e. "troll").
There's a pattern of behavior. Just 2 examples: post #9 HERE and post #28 HERE.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:20 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Oh, wow, I remember that second thread now. Not a flattering pair of links, that's for sure.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:34 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Touché - so you can order the wheels separately, but not the center locking hub?
Old 09-21-2010, 05:42 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias
Condescension? Is this a contest of egos? I thought we were exchanging ideas about cars. At least that is my interest. I have no dog in this race, but I love these cars.

My comment simply agrees with you that CL is not yet a Tequipment item (and that is under question according to post #23). My second comment/opinion is that CL is a nuisance. Everyone I know owning them thinks so (with very few exceptions) - track or no track.

Re the models. I think the GTS is a great package if one is looking exactly at that combination, like anything in the line. The Speedster, I do think will be the collectors' item. Again, not for everyone, but Speedsters do have a following and they keep their value.
All of this would be fine, and possibly could be taken as helpful advice if it were not for the derogatory tone of your posts.

You consistently talk down anything contrary to your line of thinking/your preferences and then back off the position if pressed. Saying "Hey, you suck!" and then responding "I thought we were just having a conversation?" does not encourage people to continue to discuss with you.

It seems like you want to be helpful, but only to people who agree with you. You state all your opinions as if they are facts. When facts are presented to refute your opinion, you ignore them or pretend you never said what you said.

Its very confusing to me.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:49 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
Touché - so you can order the wheels separately, but not the center locking hub?
Porsche announced availability of the hub/wheel retrofit package a year or two ago. Insanely expensive, but available.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:27 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Porsche announced availability of the hub/wheel retrofit package a year or two ago. Insanely expensive, but available.
I bet. Seems like a good way to limit your options, but who knows - maybe someone ordered it.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:31 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 97 Posts

Anytime a good company tries to make money upgrading an already great product by adding bells and whistles and charging a premium for it, the masses often revolt. I'm a sucker for Porsche marketing and got the Spyder and soon the GTS but I am still critical of marketing schemes that take away from the purity and intent of the original. I love Speedsters but can't get over the hump on the back of this thing. Another good German company, Leica is doing the same thing with their products and it irritates me when they take a great M9 and fancy it up with the Safari, Gucci or titanium editions, charge double and people still pay for it...
Old 09-21-2010, 06:41 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Anything involving "exclusiv" work costs a fortune. With a run of 356 cars, all the added goodies are limited production items coming out of "exclusiv" - i.e., customizing shop - major $$ involved.

FWIW I hate those stupid CL wheels on my car.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:45 PM
Difference Engine
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I recall, the 964 Speedster was priced a lot higher than the standard cars. And the one before that was priced high as well. And now both of those cars command stupid money. I don't see how this one will be any different. Porsche will easily sell every one they build.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:56 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 260 Likes on 137 Posts

No, the 964 Speedster was almost $10k less than the C2 cabriolet in 1994 (just as the 1994 RS America was ~$10k less than the C2 coupe). The Speedster was ~$65k, which is about what a good one is worth today.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:34 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 460 Likes on 265 Posts

Thanks for the pics; I think it's pretty cool looking but not worth the price! Love the color though!!! Hey Dan.......we could have helped them with the interior................. no?

Best regards,

Tom
Old 09-21-2010, 08:16 PM
jfk308
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$204K gimmick.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:29 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 393 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by gravedgr
All of this would be fine, and possibly could be taken as helpful advice if it were not for the derogatory tone of your posts.

You consistently talk down anything contrary to your line of thinking/your preferences and then back off the position if pressed. Saying "Hey, you suck!" and then responding "I thought we were just having a conversation?" does not encourage people to continue to discuss with you.

It seems like you want to be helpful, but only to people who agree with you. You state all your opinions as if they are facts. When facts are presented to refute your opinion, you ignore them or pretend you never said what you said.

Its very confusing to me.
It's actually interesting... I think that the reverse of what you say is mostly true. See, from my perspective, I think that you (and a few others) are the ones stating your opinions as if they are facts. But that's OK. What's not OK is that some members have the unique ability to distort facts. I do not make personal attacks. I discuss ideas. Do I have strong opinions? You bet. It just happens you do not like them and take it personally. Some others go one step further and reply with petty insults, beneath the level of this forum.

I suspect soon you guys will be talking among yourselves. I notice that those who have something to say are posting less and less. These forums have changed dramatically over the years and the level of discussion (and topics discussed) is getting lower and lower. Do not worry, you will have the place for yourselves.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:33 PM
StanThePorscheFan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
... These forums have changed dramatically over the years and the level of discussion (and topics discussed) is getting lower and lower. ...:
Mind elaborating?
Old 09-21-2010, 10:03 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 735 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Handoogies
Top Gear lists the car at 144.100 euros. For its performance numbers and my budget, no thanks. If I were a serious collector, with more cash to burn, yes please.
Yeah Leno and Seinfield have probably already placed their orders!

Quick Reply: 997 Speedster, it's here