997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 Speedster, it's here

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 10:16 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

I think its bitch'n
Old 09-22-2010, 12:40 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
It just happens you do not like them and take it personally.
Quite a leap of logic and like a couple of your other truths, factually inaccurate - no big deal though.

Originally Posted by ADias
I suspect soon you guys will be talking among yourselves. I notice that those who have something to say are posting less and less. These forums have changed dramatically over the years and the level of discussion (and topics discussed) is getting lower and lower. Do not worry, you will have the place for yourselves.
This is one area where we probably tend to agree. The level and type of discussion has downgraded over the years. While your join date > mine, I don't recall you posting here (997 forum) much back when it was very busy (the days of OCBen). I recall logging on every day to find a screenful of new threads, and not of the "what wheels should I get" variety.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:14 AM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"I recall logging on every day to find a screenful of new threads, and not of the "what wheels should I get" variety. "

TBH I prefer reading the 996 forum these days, since those guys actually drive the cars and work on them and have threads like "how to rebuild your tranny" as opposed to "does my deviated stitching look cool enough?" or "are you a devoted enough fan of the original 911 for Adias?"
Old 09-22-2010, 01:56 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To be honest, I am not impressed for only 1 reason: the price. Sorry, but I broke out laughing that the Speedster has a price over $200k, more than the last GT2. It is almost TWICE the price of a GTS Cab. I saw it is limited, the real question is if it is limited enough to attract enough buyers to blow an additional $90k over a GTS Cab to only get a lower windshield, hard tonneau and different rear bumper? How about this, why not buy a fully loaded Turbo S Cab and pocket the rest or 2 Boxster Spyders and swap 3.8l X51 engines in both for the same money? Sorry, but anyone willing to pay the asking price for this one is a sucker in my book. If the pricing was set reasonable like the 964 Speedster, I would be all for it. At this ridiculously inflated price, it is just a joke.

BTW, I feel the opposite about the GTS. For just $13k over the price of a regular Carrera S, you get a wider body, ground effects, an X51 engine ($17k option on the S), center lock spyder wheels ($3k on the turbo), Alcantara trim ($3k on the S). For how little this package is priced over a regular S, I can't see any reason to not spend the extra money on this package if you are looking to buy an S and are not looking to step up to a GT3.

Last edited by 10 GT3; 09-22-2010 at 02:25 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:47 AM
ADiaz

Smile

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
To be honest, I am not impressed for only 1 reason: the price. Sorry, but I broke out laughing that the Speedster has a price over $200k, more than the last GT2. It is almost TWICE the price of a GTS Cab. I saw it is limited, the real question is if it is limited enough to attract enough buyers to blow an additional $90k over a GTS Cab to only get a lower windshield, hard tonneau and different rear bumper? How about this, why not buy a fully loaded Turbo S Cab and pocket the rest or 2 Boxster Spyders and swap 3.8l X51 engines in both for the same money? Sorry, but anyone willing to pay the asking price for this one is a sucker in my book. If the pricing was set reasonable like the 964 Speedster, I would be all for it. At this ridiculously inflated price, it is just a joke.

BTW, I feel the opposite about the GTS. For just $13k over the price of a regular Carrera S, you get a wider body, ground effects, an X51 engine ($17k option on the S), center lock spyder wheels ($3k on the turbo), Alcantara trim ($3k on the S). For how little this package is priced over a regular S, I can't see any reason to not spend the extra money on this package if you are looking to buy an S and are not looking to step up to a GT3.
You are entitled to your opinion, but the speedster will still sell out if it hasn't already. Porsche can do no wrong, period.
Old 09-22-2010, 10:15 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by cbzzoom
TBH I prefer reading the 996 forum these days, since those guys actually drive the cars and work on them and have threads like "how to rebuild your tranny" as opposed to "does my deviated stitching look cool enough?" or "are you a devoted enough fan of the original 911 for Adias?"
I stopped reading the 996 forum when I traded it for the first 997. Maybe I'll go back.

You and I are on the exact same page for both cars. @$125-150k the speedster is a great collectors item; @$200k+ it is simply for those who have nothing better to do with their money. Meanwhile I already had an order in for a C2S within $5k of price of the GTS - I would be a complete fool not to trade some painted interior pieces for a half-price X51 + C4 widebody + fairly unique wheels (on a Carrera).
Old 09-22-2010, 02:37 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ADiaz
You are entitled to your opinion, but the speedster will still sell out if it hasn't already. Porsche can do no wrong, period.
As mentioned above, there are plenty of suckers out there. Lots of Porsche's special cars really are bargains, not just the GTS. The standard equipment on Turbo S gives it a price that is lower than the same equipment as options on a regular Turbo. You also get an extra 30 hp and more limited production as part of the deal. A GT3 is priced less than a Carrera S with 19" sport wheels, X51 engine option and aero kit. With the bigger brakes, better suspension, etc.; the GT3 is a true bargain in the lineup. The Speedster simply isn't. For a base price of over $200k, you don't even get a GT1/Metzner engine, adjustable suspension or even the bigger brakes from the GT2/GT3. If this was a topless GT3 RS, you might be able to stretch it to be a $200k car. Unfortunately, in this case there is simply no meat to justify the price. Although you have that wider body, you don't even get a wheel and tire combination like those that come on GT3 RS' or GT2 RS' to fill those fenders, just the same stock turbo sized Sport Classic Fuch wheels right out of the current parts catalog. I predict every on will lose 1/3 the resale the day it gets driven off the lot.
Old 09-22-2010, 02:43 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

As mentioned above, there are plenty of suckers out there. Lots of Porsche's special cars really are bargains, not just the GTS. The standard equipment on Turbo S gives it a price that is lower than the same equipment as options on a regular Turbo. You also get an extra 30 hp and more limited production as part of the deal. A GT3 is priced less than a Carrera S with 19" sport wheels, X51 engine option and aero kit. With the bigger brakes, better suspension, etc.; the GT3 is a true bargain in the lineup. The Speedster simply isn't. For a base price of over $200k, you don't even get a GT1/Metzner engine, adjustable suspension or even the bigger brakes from the GT2/GT3. If this was a topless GT3 RS, you might be able to stretch it to be a $200k car. Unfortunately, in this case there is simply no meat to justify the price. Although you have that wider body, you don't even get a wheel and tire combination like those that come on GT3 RS' or GT2 RS' to fill those fenders, just the same stock turbo sized Sport Classic Fuch wheels right out of the current parts catalog. I predict every on will lose 1/3 the resale the day it gets driven off the lot.
Agreed. These cars will sell because they will be mostly bought by collectors and stored. The few that will be bought and driven will lose value very quickly. It has happened with all special editions.
Old 09-22-2010, 04:18 PM
tincanman99
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess its the end of the 997, they are going through the motions of the special editions to push em out.

Their pricing is outrageous though. But as others said, the people that buy them dont care and will buy it anyway. Porsche knows that they could sell a gold plated turd and people will buy them.

What else can you say?

Though I do have to say I think its cool but not 200K extra cool.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:38 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

I hope they can't sell any in the States--I don't want to see Blue Turquoise at every corner!
Old 09-22-2010, 08:20 PM
Leader
Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 168 Posts

At a stated run of "only 356 will be made," I don't think you're going to see too many 997 Speedsters in Santa Barbara, Dan. Heck, most dealers won't even get an allotment of one!
I read that only 100 will make it to North America.

Last edited by Leader; 09-22-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 09-22-2010, 11:45 PM
Gj325
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would love one if uncle Piech is giving me one and I won't remarry after he dies
Old 09-23-2010, 12:10 AM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I hope they can't sell any in the States--I don't want to see Blue Turquoise at every corner!
+1
Old 09-23-2010, 12:23 AM
fer2367
Rennlist Member

+1

Originally Posted by Doug&Julie
I'm trying, but all I can think is...ugly. Seriously, seriously ugly. The Pontiac Aztec of Porsches. Truly.

Aside from the fact that it's redundant. Really, why not put a 911 motor in the (far more attractive) Boxster S and call it a Speedster? It's not like there's a real advantage to it being a 911 if you've taken the rear seats out. I suppose Porsche is banking on 911 owner egos to chose this over a Boxster S. Suckers.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:33 AM
blake
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I really like the new Speedster... The Fuchs, the stone guards, and the low racking windshield and rear humps are a familiar throw-back. With that said, the price is shocking. Over $200K?

Also - I wish they offered it in manual without forcing PDK...

-B

Quick Reply: 997 Speedster, it's here