Sponsored by:

2010 C4S odd smell from air vents

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 09:01 AM
altesporsche
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2010 C4S odd smell from air vents

hey guys ... just a question to see if yu have any idea or if anyone has had this trouble before ..
i have a 2010 C4S bought new at champion back in may and the car has been in my garage in Fla most of the time but since day one i would get this odd (BO) like smell from the air vents untill the ac would cut in and then gone untill next time i take it out .. i have tried the ridding of the moisture route but no go .. it has not cured anything ... and it isnt me lol as my father smells the same thing, he actually was the one who noticed it first he lives down there and drives it mostly ... i just find it quaite strange to have a strong BO or musty cat urine smellin a brand new car ....

cheers
clet
Old 09-12-2010, 01:13 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The problem most likely is that the car spent time in a Florida garage with high humidity--moisture in the air conditioning ductwork. It's a reminder that you have to consider turning off the a/c a few miles before you park it for any length of time. I have never personally experienced that but the majority of complaints that I have read on this seem to come from the Florida area. The dryers are supposed to deal with that but super high humidity areas may over challenge it.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:33 PM
cbzzoom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. replace the cabin air filter , $15 easy DIY ; it is semi-exposed to the elements and they can get wet and then moldy

2. if that doesn't do it, turn on the air vents, remove the cabin air filter and spray some febreze into the cabin air intake there
Old 09-12-2010, 08:46 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

First: Replace the pollen filter AND before you install the new filter spray Lysol in the ducting through the filter opening. Run the fan for a while.
Second: as Edgy01 stated, turn off the AC a couple of miles before you shut off the car for the day (each day), while keeping the fan going at a good flow to dry the duct-work.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:27 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Do stuff above. Also consider leaving car parked and running a small fan in the footwell on a timer like the one shown, set for every 15 or 30 minutes. Keep windows cracked open. Do it for a week or so. Repeat if necessary
Attached Images   
Old 09-13-2010, 05:57 AM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

If all else fails:

Some cats like to spray the windshield when they get on top of a car. When they do this, the urine can run down into the vent areas underneath the cowl/windshield bottom and get into your vent system and really stink. If that happens, the only thing you can try is to spray those areas with white inegar and let them sit. Vinegar will neutralize the urine. If might take a couple of treatments. Once the vinegar evaporates, the smell will go.
Old 09-25-2010, 04:12 PM
altesporsche
Instructor

no cats on the car sorry but thanks ... cats are not allowed to roam in the area ... as for cabin filters well i dont thenk they are toast yet .. the car has only 1100 miles on it .. ill try the shutting off the ac thing for a while to see if it works after cleaning out the duct work ...

thanks guys
Old 09-26-2010, 01:14 AM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd recommend a leaf blower, but there are drawbacks:
http://jalopnik.com/5616687/skater-k...th-leaf-blower

Quick Reply: 2010 C4S odd smell from air vents