Sponsored by:

Battery date code?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2010, 11:46 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Battery date code?

I do quite a bit of long distance driving for work so I'm always happy to spend a few extra bucks on things like tools, a spare tire, coolant etc. I've even been known to carry a spare water pump, thermostat and section of hose. I don't like to be stranded and I'm not excited about waiting for a porsche truck to show up either.

Along those same lines of thinking I tend to replace things before they strand me. One of those things is the battery. I just bought this car so I'm wondering how old the battery is. It's an '05 so if it's the original battery I'll probably replace before winter.

My battery doesn't have one of those date punch stickers so I'm wondering if there's some other way to tell when the battery was installed. Or is there a sticker somewhere that I can't see?

Thanks
Old 08-31-2010, 02:28 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_rich
I do quite a bit of long distance driving for work so I'm always happy to spend a few extra bucks on things like tools, a spare tire, coolant etc. I've even been known to carry a spare water pump, thermostat and section of hose. I don't like to be stranded and I'm not excited about waiting for a porsche truck to show up either.

Along those same lines of thinking I tend to replace things before they strand me. One of those things is the battery. I just bought this car so I'm wondering how old the battery is. It's an '05 so if it's the original battery I'll probably replace before winter.

My battery doesn't have one of those date punch stickers so I'm wondering if there's some other way to tell when the battery was installed. Or is there a sticker somewhere that I can't see?

Thanks
Careful with battery threads around here. We'll find out soon enough if you used approved phraseology and delivery.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...7-replica.html
Old 08-31-2010, 10:50 AM
Clever_User_Name
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm laughing on the inside. Really I am.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:04 PM
bradyb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search battery on this forum and all should be clear.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:56 PM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

997_rich: A search might not lead to the answer to your question. The OEM Moll battery on my '06 does not have a date punch sticker either, whereas replacement batteries (frequently not Molls) generally do. I don't know how to date a battery other than by the sticker, or by a battery replacement service record.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:10 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by 997_rich
... I just bought this car so I'm wondering how old the battery is. It's an '05 so if it's the original battery I'll probably replace before winter.

Thanks
If you are concerned about the battery dying suddenly, given that it could be 5yo, I recommend replacing it.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:18 PM
JasonKM
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

if it's a Moll battery, then highly likely original and I would definiately replace. If anything else it likely has been replaced.

direct fit replacment is an H7 from Interstate or any 94R (BCI Group code) battery. Listings at the autopart stores are usually incorrect.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:19 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

yeah, I checked the old threads before starting this one (like a good citizen) but I was unable to find anything on date codes. I guess I'll give the dealer a call and see what i can find out there.

thanks

Quick Reply: Battery date code?