Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone looking for a 3,075lb 1:1 EXACT 997 replica?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 02:31 PM
Clever_User_Name
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone looking for a 3,075lb 1:1 EXACT 997 replica?

Because I have one sitting in my garage.

Apparently, the '07 CPO that I purchased three months ago was sold to me with a battery that had expired three months before I purchased it. Result is that I have a brick for a sportscar.

I simply can't believe this kind of stuff is allowed to go on in the CPO process. "Oh, he'll never notice it. And when it dies on him any day, we can charge him for a new one!!"

Its being towed to the dealership right now and it WILL have a replacement battery put into it free of charge or I WILL raise holy hell.

Old 08-28-2010, 02:38 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

What do you mean that the battery 'expired' 3 months before you bought the car?

Was the car operational when you test drove it?

Is the condition of the battery a factor in the inspection of a used car? Are you suggesting that it was just barely holding on as you bought the car?
Old 08-28-2010, 02:43 PM
Clever_User_Name
Advanced

Batteries have expiration dates. Mine expired in January 2010.

Been sluggish to start over the last week until dead as of this morning. Now it explains the sugglish ignitions.

And yes, one would think that a dealership would swap out an expired battery on a CPO car that is sold at a substantial premium.

I'm not off base here. Seems pretty reasonable.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:43 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

What does it mean, "a battery that had expired three months before I purchased it"?

Batteries aren't like a perishable food item that have expiration dates. They are good to go for as long as they may or may not last, and then they die. End of story.

How many miles on the car? Porsche will not warranty batteries in cars that are driven less than 6k miles per year. You may want to reconsider the "raise holy hell" thing. You're getting all worked up over spilled milk. If they owe you a battery they'll give you one. If they don't, they won't. Fairly straight forward stuff.

I have a feeling you've been letting the car sit idle in your garage? That would make it your fault if it wasn't on a battery charger.

Phil
Old 08-28-2010, 02:47 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Clever_User_Name
Batteries have expiration dates. Mine expired in January 2010.
The warranty may have expired, doesn't mean the battery is "expired".

Phil
Old 08-28-2010, 02:54 PM
Michael T
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

My battery was replaced for free under CPO.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:57 PM
Clever_User_Name
Advanced

Originally Posted by RollingArt
What does it mean, "a battery that had expired three months before I purchased it"?

Batteries aren't like a perishable food item that have expiration dates. They are good to go for as long as they may or may not last, and then they die. End of story.

How many miles on the car? Porsche will not warranty batteries in cars that are driven less than 6k miles per year. You may want to reconsider the "raise holy hell" thing. You're getting all worked up over spilled milk. If they owe you a battery they'll give you one. If they don't, they won't. Fairly straight forward stuff.

I have a feeling you've been letting the car sit idle in your garage? That would make it your fault if it wasn't on a battery charger.

Phil
Incorrect assumption. Car is driven every other day. It is far from being idle. I drive in excess of 6k miles per year. And for the record, pretty sure this isn't a case of spilled milk.

And battery warranties are clearly there for a reason.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:58 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Clever_User_Name
... Apparently, the '07 CPO that I purchased three months ago was sold to me with a battery that had expired three months before I purchased it. ...
This post may take the prize. What's next? Sue PCNA? Claim mental distress?
Old 08-28-2010, 02:58 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

I had to purchase a new battery for my car in 2010 (earlier this year) because it was not holding up. I expect it to be a fair wear and tear item on any car. They generally fail prematurely on cars that are not driven enough. You never state the miles on that used car you purchased.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Clever_User_Name
Advanced

About 37k miles on the car. Its driven regularly.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:00 PM
Clever_User_Name
Advanced

Originally Posted by ADias
This post may take the prize. What's next? Sue PCNA? Claim mental distress?

I think my attempt at humor is lost on the lot of you. But I am quite serious about why they would allow a battery with an expired warranty to go into a CPO car.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:10 PM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can look at the CPO checklist to see if there is any mention of the battery. If it is not one of the CPO inspection items (and I doubt if it is), you are probably sol on this one.

However, the sluggish starting might indicate a problem that also affected the battery - the ground to the engine or other cables may be bad (search the board, there have been some posts about this). If so, they should replace those cables at no charge and your old battery, once fully charged, might be ok for a while longer (I doubt it because of its age and because car batteries don't like to be discharged past 1/2).
Old 08-28-2010, 03:18 PM
Clever_User_Name
Advanced

Originally Posted by p-cardriver
You can look at the CPO checklist to see if there is any mention of the battery. If it is not one of the CPO inspection items (and I doubt if it is), you are probably sol on this one.

However, the sluggish starting might indicate a problem that also affected the battery - the ground to the engine or other cables may be bad (search the board, there have been some posts about this). If so, they should replace those cables at no charge and your old battery, once fully charged, might be ok for a while longer (I doubt it because of its age and because car batteries don't like to be discharged past 1/2).
Hope its nothing serious in any event. But I checked the CPO paperwork and the battery was checked.
Old 08-28-2010, 03:37 PM
911SLOW
Admin
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

For the OP.
This is normal and correct that they left the battery in the car as long as it was the oem battery (even if it was expired one year ago) otherwise they are in breach of their obligation regarding warranty and dealer check list.
Ergo if the battery is oem it has a warranty from its manufacturer that has nothing to do with your cars warranty that comes from Porsche for the whole car with the known exceptions and covered period. So as long as you are entitled for warranty for the battery you will be covered without making a scene or give hell about it.

John
Old 08-28-2010, 03:50 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Here's what you need to do when you obviously don't drive the car that much. (Although you do better with the concours crowd). Get a trickle charger.

Quick Reply: Anyone looking for a 3,075lb 1:1 EXACT 997 replica?