Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is there really a big difference between S and Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 04:00 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 62 Posts

Never looked at a TT. The intake and spoiler gives it a too aggressive look for this "middle aged" physician who taxis his wife and kids around in a 911 all the time. But that just my humble opinion. Drive it and decide for yourself.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:04 PM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To respected TT owners, aren't general maintenance costs higher vs "NA" cars? both long/short term? What about insurance cost and resale value?

Maybe the sum of these parts might STEER someones decision.....
Old 08-24-2010, 04:13 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My '07 Turbo was insane, but I really like the way my '09 C2S feels. So, I'll probably be sticking with a C2S from now on. Also, the extra trunk space in the C2 is necessary for road trips and very nice to have all the time.

When it came time to sell, my Turbo tanked in value more than I expected. I would say a C2S is more valuable as it attracts a far larger pool of buyers both new and used. Whereas, the Turbo's value and demand is only strong in a great economy, which we do not have now.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:13 PM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having never driven either one, I think I would rather have a GT3 than a Turbo. And the GT3 costs less. And it sounds better too.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by LlBr
I'm sorry. I don't get this. I drive frisky on all sorts of roads and NEVER EVER wished I had my 997S back. Seriously.
Yes. I can confidently say that nobody is confused about this point. You've made it abundantly clear that the TT is your preference. We get it.

Nimble handling differences between TT and C2S cars? You make it sound like the TT handles like it is a Ford Thunderbird.
No. I make it sound like the C2S is lighter and more nimble than the TT. That's all. And you know what? It is. There was no hyperbole in my post (that would be uncharacteristic of a guy, like myself, full of reasonable thinking).

"Exploit" what exactly? We're not on the track so it can't be quantitative.
There are plenty of public roads where the differences are obvious even without driving like a maniac.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:26 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
The key reason for your argumentation is that you are a Turbo owner, which begs the question... why do you spend so much time in this NA forum?
Must be more fun over here
Old 08-24-2010, 04:28 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, for the usage my car gets, and after 2 years with a C4S, the Turbo has no substitute. Drive both, you WILL be blown away. Everything will scream the turbo. If for any reason you can tell the difference in agility and nimbleness in the steering feel, then get the car that speaks to you most.
Guys, to each his own. Such posts are not to guide, but to help formulate opinion. Now that we have introduced the OP up to the fact that some people get better feel from the NA cars, maybe he will feel it too and be content with an NA choice. If he is blinded by the boost, then he will be happy with a TT. At the end of the day, his car, his choice and he will have to be content with it.

Good luck!
Old 08-24-2010, 04:28 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by todd.
Must be more fun over here
Ha! it is... Look at this thread!
Old 08-24-2010, 04:31 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dianic
Drive both, you WILL be blown away. Everything will scream the turbo.
Guys, to each his own.
Contradictory post is contradictory.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:34 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nugget
Contradictory post is contradictory.
Ha ha Nugget. I said WILL scream. I didnt say buy the turbo.
Do you think that the average driver is NOT blown away by the sheer power of the turbo in a 1-2 gear change? After that, to each his own. But c'mon it IS jaw dropping.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:38 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Ha ha Nugget. I said WILL scream. I didnt say buy the turbo.
Do you think that the average driver is NOT blown away by the sheer power of the turbo in a 1-2 gear change? After that, to each his own. But c'mon it IS jaw dropping.
Yes, the power of a turbo is jaw-dropping, but many prefer the better-handling car. Allow me to re-word your post and maybe you can spot what's mildly annoying about it:

Such posts are not to guide, but to help formulate opinion. Now that we have introduced the OP up to the fact that some people are thrilled by straight line performance, maybe he will feel it too and be content with a TT choice. If he enjoys agile handling, then he will be happy with a C2S.

I want you to be content when you settle for the TT and I am happy with my preference, the C2S.

For me, I drove them both and it screamed C2S. I have little interest in the TT and the car didn't appeal to me nearly as much as the C2S did. Nothing is universal.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:48 PM
dianic
Rennlist Member

Absolutely. That is why I added "to each his own"... If he can spot the difference in the handling, then it will be an obvious choice.

The hidden compliment in my post to you, is that if you can spot that difference, you make a choice which is 100% bulletproof. What I hint at is that it is not easy for the average driver to see it, and most tend to get overwhelmed by the power of the TT.

To me, it was a cognitive choice. Note that I say that for the usage my car gets, this is exactly what I wanted...

In any case I am in agreement with your edit.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:55 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
Clearly the only rational solution is a GT2 RS.
What he said/. (or the "Widow-Maker").
Old 08-24-2010, 04:57 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 398 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by JG 996T
What he said/. (or the "Widow-Maker").
Is it? Read Chris Harris GT2 RS review on the latest issue of Excellence.
Old 08-24-2010, 05:20 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 538 Likes on 292 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Is it? Read Chris Harris GT2 RS review on the latest issue of Excellence.
Sorry, I meant or a 996 GT2 aka "The Widow-Maker" (as I expressed in the other thread comparing 997S with Turbo).

I read the article (and all the other articles) - the new GT2 RS doesn't sound like a widow-maker at all.

Quick Reply: is there really a big difference between S and Turbo