Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tires, old subject looking for recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

For what it's worth, the guy who reported an 8lb increase in pressure in his RE-11 was running the tires overinflated to begin with and has also been complaining in a different thread that his TPMS is malfunctioning and reporting erroneous results. Perhaps that's the explanation for the anomaly. Either way, RE-11s do not gain 8psi on the street unless something else is wrong. They just don't.

I'm not sure why alex is so enthusiastically opposed to RE11s but the chorus of happy owners (including myself) should be more than enough endorsement to overshadow the opinion of a guy who's never even driven the tires. They do not overheat on the street, even in Texas.

Previously:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...of-re-11s.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...the-track.html
Old 08-13-2010, 11:21 AM
chopperzz
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've a friend that uses Hankook's on his GT3 and he can't say anything bad about them. On the track they give good feedback in feel and in sound, on the road they last very well and are 20% less cash.
I'm putting a set on in 2 weeks and will report back if I find otherwise.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:27 AM
indesj01
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

bridgestones. just put 4 new ones on yesterday for the same price as 2 back pilot sports im at 19500miles. the fronts were about 60% worn. love the new bridgestones you can really feel the difference.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:48 AM
TigerStadt
Advanced

Originally Posted by equiraptor
So what's your direct, hands-on experience with the RE-11, alexb76? What are your driving qualifications? Why, exactly, aren't the RE-11 good for a Porsche based on your direct, first-hand experience, not something you read or heard from someone else?

I have direct, first-hand experience with RE-11s on a Porsche on the street and on the track. They're a great tire for a 911. I have competitive experience, and experience analyzing tires for street use, track (HPDE) use, and competition use. I've already mentioned some of the plusses of the RE-11. Nugget mentioned others.

The grip and feedback the RE-11 offers at street temperatures is something the RE050 just can not hope to match. If those are qualities that are important to you, the RE-11 is a better tire for you. If being "N-rated" is more important, or if cost is more important, then go with something else. That's fine. But the RE-11 is a great tire.
+1 I agree based on my personal driving experiences with the RE-11s. for the RE-11s
Old 08-13-2010, 12:14 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

He doesn't need the extra performance, true, but he may want it. If so, it's fair to let him know it's there. Your claimed change in street driving pressures is not something I've seen, and is not something I've heard about anywhere except one thread on this forum. Given the rarity, it's an anomaly and not something typical for the tires. I'll continue to use the tires and continue to recommend them without concern that they're somehow "inappropriate" for the car. The RE-11 works very well on 911s.
Sure, if it works for you, then that's your tire of choice. Yes, there was on thread that went into depth about RE-11 going up by 8 PSI, but there was many thread about RE-11 heating up too quickly, and not ideal for tracking, nor hotter climates.

My point is, this tire hasn't been tested on our cars while RE050 has (and N1 is much improved over N0), and if I was paying that much for a tire, I rather get N-rated that I know is designed specifically for my car.

PS. I have PS2 on my car, and won't be going to either RE050, or Conti, I'd go with Pzero (not rosso) on my upgrade, as it was amazing when I tested it on Cataluna circuit in Barcelona on R8. OP was asking for a good tire that doesn't cost as much, hence my recommendation.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexb76
but there was many thread about RE-11 heating up too quickly, and not ideal for tracking, nor hotter climates.
You are misrepresenting the comments in the other threads about these tires. I've linked them above for anyone who wants to see what the consensus actually is.

My point is, this tire hasn't been tested on our cars while RE050 has (and N1 is much improved over N0), and if I was paying that much for a tire, I rather get N-rated that I know is designed specifically for my car.
My Hoosier R6 tires aren't N rated either or "designed specifically" for Porsches. Would you say that they're unsafe or less desirable because of that?

Porsche's N ratings are as much about marketing partnerships as they are about safety and design, same as the sticker that warns me to only use MobilOne oil if I want my engine to live.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:36 PM
equiraptor
Rennlist Member

Sthere was many thread about RE-11 heating up too quickly, and not ideal for tracking, nor hotter climates.
This is a direct contradiction of things said by RE-11 owners in this very thread. You clearly have a bias against tires that aren't N-rated. You parrot others' statements, and can't even do that accurately.

What's most entertaining about this to me is I am one of the people whose statements you're inaccurately parroting!
Old 08-13-2010, 01:41 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nugget
You are misrepresenting the comments in the other threads about these tires. I've linked them above for anyone who wants to see what the consensus actually is.

My Hoosier R6 tires aren't N rated either or "designed specifically" for Porsches. Would you say that they're unsafe or less desirable because of that?

Porsche's N ratings are as much about marketing partnerships as they are about safety and design, same as the sticker that warns me to only use MobilOne oil if I want my engine to live.
N-rating is NOT just about marketing, as for instance the Micheling Sport Cup tread design is actually DIFFERENT than the non N-rated. I also believe it is very important when a suspension of a car is designed with the tires combined. I work for SAP AG and Porsche is our partner/customer and I've had talked to many folks inside, and they DO design their cars with tire manufacturer's input in a 2-way collaboration.

I agree on Mobil-1 though. That is mostly for marketing, but as there's N-rated, there's PORSCHE approved oil as well, right? So, when I swiched my oil from Mobil-1, I made sure it was Porsche approved.

At the end of the day, any tire that meets the weight rating for the rear (earlier R-11 didn't), should be fine, and some tires can perform better than OEM tires in one or more areas but still an N-rated tire is gonna perform as Porsche desired in ALL situations.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:43 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

N-rating is NOT just about marketing
Did I say that? No I did not.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:48 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

This is a direct contradiction of things said by RE-11 owners in this very thread. You clearly have a bias against tires that aren't N-rated. You parrot others' statements, and can't even do that accurately.

What's most entertaining about this to me is I am one of the people whose statements you're inaccurately parroting!
As I said in the other reply RE-11 maybe better in one or a few areas than N-rated tires (according to you and Nugget), however, an approved N-rated tire would perform as desired by Porsche in ALL situations (street, track, wet, autobahn, comfort, etc...). They basically took care of all questioning of what tire works and what doesn't work for our cars so you know when you buy that tire, it just works.

I got no issues with you or RE-11, but I personally wouldn't use a tire that heats up that quickly. I would only pick a non N-rated tire if I wanted to save money, or if I wanted a track only tire.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

As I said in the other reply RE-11 maybe better in one or a few areas than N-rated tires (according to you and Nugget)...
...and mdrums and mglobe and TigerStadt and swajames and sin911 and rosenbergendo and TripleM (to name a few from the other threads on this subject). Favoring the RE-11 is hardly a controversial opinion, it seems.

...however, an approved N-rated tire would perform as desired by Porsche in ALL situations (street, track, wet, autobahn, comfort, etc...). They basically took care of all questioning of what tire works and what doesn't work for our cars so you know when you buy that tire, it just works.
No arguments from me here. If a tire has an N specification you can certainly feel confident that it will perform suitably on a Porsche and with a Porsche driver's performance expectations.

What is not valid, though, is the leap of illogic that the reverse is true. If a tire lacks an N specification you can't infer that it is necessarily inferior to an N specification tire. All it means is that the tire has not been specifically tested and rated by Porsche. That's it. There's no reason to assume that the RE-11 worse than an N specification tire simply because it lacks the rating. Glibly put:

Notice what is not listed. You can not infer:
  • Porsche has tested this tire and found it to be inadequate
  • If Porsche did test the tire, it would not earn an N Specification
  • This tire is worse than another tire which does have an N Specification
  • This tire is unsafe

In my experience, the RE-11 is superior to the P Zero, an OEM tire that has an N specification. street, track, wet, autobahn, comfort, etc... I'd much rather have the RE-11. Full stop.

I got no issues with you or RE-11...
I guess I'll just have to take your word for it, but it's curious to me how vocal you are in every thread that discusses this particular tire. You sure seem to have some passionate opinions about a tire you've never owned or even driven.

...but I personally wouldn't use a tire that heats up that quickly. I would only pick a non N-rated tire if I wanted to save money, or if I wanted a track only tire.
OK, sure. But you've gone further and said that the RE050 is a "MUCH Better tire overall" than the RE-11. That's just false. The RE050 may be cheaper but it's certainly not better. You shouldn't be surprised when people challenge an assertion like that because it flies in the face of reality and our own experiences with the tires.

Last edited by Nugget; 08-13-2010 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Added silly chart.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:22 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Seriously...THANKS...for th heads up on this....I could not figure that post out either.

For what it's worth, the guy who reported an 8lb increase in pressure in his RE-11 was running the tires overinflated to begin with and has also been complaining in a different thread that his TPMS is malfunctioning and reporting erroneous results. Perhaps that's the explanation for the anomaly. Either way, RE-11s do not gain 8psi on the street unless something else is wrong. They just don't.

I'm not sure why alex is so enthusiastically opposed to RE11s but the chorus of happy owners (including myself) should be more than enough endorsement to overshadow the opinion of a guy who's never even driven the tires. They do not overheat on the street, even in Texas.

Previously:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...of-re-11s.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...the-track.html
Old 08-13-2010, 03:25 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 80 Posts

Do you autocross with Spokes, or spend much time at H2R? When we still lived in Austin, I ran with the Spokes (and SASCA) guys pretty extensively, and we still run H2R regularly (I'll be out there the 21st/22nd).
Don't autocross too often with spokes ore Sasca as I have church on Sunday however I do spend a fair amount of time on H2R with both the "SC and the Cayman
Old 08-13-2010, 03:27 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

+100...same for my Toyo RA1 or R888...not N rated and put through way more stress than my N rated PS2's on the street.

As long as the tire is a summer tire with the correct load rating for a Porsche then it will perform perfectly on the street...or track. I use Yokohama Prada XSpec performance SUV tires for my Cayenne S and they are much better overall than the N Spec Michele's that came on my Cayenne S.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:36 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
... For the C2S, after the comments I will take a close look at the Bridgestone RE 050 , the P Zeros and the PS2's. Still have several MM to the wear marks on the rears and lots on the front so it will be a month or so.
If you consider Bridgestones - and I recommend you do - do get the newer RE050A N1. The N1 is superior to the previous N-rated tire. This tire is very, very good.

Quick Reply: Tires, old subject looking for recommendations