Sponsored by:

Tires, old subject looking for recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 09:54 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Tires, old subject looking for recommendations

It's getting close to needing new shoes for my '09 Carrera S and with all the tires and hype about them I'm looking for real world opinions. I currently have Mich PS2's (235 front and 305 rear) with almost 18,000 miles on them. They have been good tires in both wet and dry but they are starting to get noisy and close to replacement. Now I don't track this car. I'm not unhappy with the PS2's but they are on the expensive side. Are there better choices that people have used and are happy with. I realize this is a subjective topic.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:24 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

TONS of stuff on here if you search. but from what i can find, it seems the consensus leans toward b-stones RE-050A's being a happy medium - very minor performance sacrifice from the MPS2's, but for a $500 savings. i'm on my 3rd set (since switching from OEM pirelli's) and have had nothing but good experience on both street and track.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:59 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Bridgestone RE11 is my current favorite for street tires. I've got just over 10k miles on mine (99% street, 1% track) and they've still got good tread, cope very well with the wet, and run quiet. Dry grip is better than PZero Rosso or PS2.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:47 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Bridgestone RE050 or RE11 if you are on teh sporty side. I had the newer Pirelli P- Zero (not P-Zero Rosso!) on a CLK Benz and they were awesome tires. I also had a loaner 09 Carrera S for the day and it had Pirelli P-Zero's and they were very nice. Also look at the N-Spec Conti's too...awesome tires.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 136 Likes on 73 Posts

I have the Pirelli P-Zero's (not Rosso's) on my Carrera. When I got the car I was disappointed at first that I didn't come with Michelins, but I've been very happy with the Pirellis. Great grip and quieter than the Michelin Pilot Sports on my Audi.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:13 PM
Sean in Texas
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 41 Posts

Not very common, but have you checked out the Vredestein Sessantas? IIR, they have dry tested just as or better than the PS2's (depending on test,) and are superior in the wet. About 2/3's the price of the Michelins also, with a better wear rating.

Two things however....the tread pattern is a bit too ricey for some folks, and getting some sizes can be tough in the U.S.

I have had a set on my E92 M3 since ~Christmas and have been very happy with them.

M3 Post
Old 08-12-2010, 10:01 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

If you don't track as u stated, just go for RE050 if looking for N-rated (Highly recommended). Pzero is probably even better performing than PS2 but if u don't track you don't need extra performance and RE050 is much cheaper.

Amongst non N-rated, Continental Continental ExtremeContact DW has had GREAT reviews (the one I recommend), RE11 *might* be ok but it doesn't take heat very well and is $300 more exepnsive than Conti, and even more expensive than N-rated RE050.

So, to sum up, for street driving best values are RE050 for N-rated and Conti ExtremeContact DW for non N-rated!

Last edited by alexb76; 08-12-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:30 AM
equiraptor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The RE-11 is a fantastic street tire, if you want a tire in that category. The heat issues are only relevant for track sessions in a hot environment. They're not the best value - they cost more and they'll almost certainly wear out faster than the lower class of tire (the RE050 and ExtremeContact DW), so the choice between the classes is just a matter of personal preference.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:35 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by equiraptor
The RE-11 is a fantastic street tire, if you want a tire in that category. The heat issues are only relevant for track sessions in a hot environment. They're not the best value - they cost more and they'll almost certainly wear out faster than the lower class of tire (the RE050 and ExtremeContact DW), so the choice between the classes is just a matter of personal preference.
RE050 N-rated is a MUCH Better tire overall for a Porsche. If RE-11 was cheaper, I could understand recommendation, but it's not and you can't really say RE-11 is better in any category when it goes up 8 PSI in street driving!
Old 08-13-2010, 01:55 AM
equiraptor
Rennlist Member

So what's your direct, hands-on experience with the RE-11, alexb76? What are your driving qualifications? Why, exactly, aren't the RE-11 good for a Porsche based on your direct, first-hand experience, not something you read or heard from someone else?

I have direct, first-hand experience with RE-11s on a Porsche on the street and on the track. They're a great tire for a 911. I have competitive experience, and experience analyzing tires for street use, track (HPDE) use, and competition use. I've already mentioned some of the plusses of the RE-11. Nugget mentioned others.

The grip and feedback the RE-11 offers at street temperatures is something the RE050 just can not hope to match. If those are qualities that are important to you, the RE-11 is a better tire for you. If being "N-rated" is more important, or if cost is more important, then go with something else. That's fine. But the RE-11 is a great tire.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:20 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Op doesn't track and doesn't need extra performance you claim. Re11 is great for light FWD cars but not ideal for Porsche rear engine when it goes up 8 PSI during street driving.

For op, Re050 is a much better overall tire. Or even the cheaper Conti.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:01 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I currently have Mich PS2's (235 front and 305 rear) with almost 18,000 miles on them.
18,000 miles on the rears? I have 35,000 miles on my car now and am on my 4th. set of rears getting ready for the 5th. All were corded before being replaced with no track time. Car's been aligned twice during this period btw. and needed next to no tweaking. I think I got 20,000 out of the first set of fronts but how you get close to that on the rears I'll never know.
Old 08-13-2010, 06:55 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 161 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
18,000 miles on the rears? I have 35,000 miles on my car now and am on my 4th. set of rears getting ready for the 5th. All were corded before being replaced with no track time. Car's been aligned twice during this period btw. and needed next to no tweaking. I think I got 20,000 out of the first set of fronts but how you get close to that on the rears I'll never know.
Took a long time but someone finally picked up the mileage I have on the tires. Simple answer I live about 40 miles outside San Antonio so with few exceptions every time I drive the car it includes around 100 miles of freeway driving. Lots of highway miles on the tires .

I appreciate all the opinions. While I don't track this car I do want wet and dry handling. I track an '83 SC (not very stock) and a Cayman. Both of these have cup tires for the track. When the PS2's wear out on the Cayman ( and I won't get near 18,000 on them) I will put RE 11's or Yoko Advon A 8's for autocross.

For the C2S, after the comments I will take a close look at the Bridgestone RE 050 , the P Zeros and the PS2's. Still have several MM to the wear marks on the rears and lots on the front so it will be a month or so.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:43 AM
equiraptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by alexb76
Op doesn't track and doesn't need extra performance you claim. Re11 is great for light FWD cars but not ideal for Porsche rear engine when it goes up 8 PSI during street driving.

For op, Re050 is a much better overall tire. Or even the cheaper Conti.
He doesn't need the extra performance, true, but he may want it. If so, it's fair to let him know it's there. Your claimed change in street driving pressures is not something I've seen, and is not something I've heard about anywhere except one thread on this forum. Given the rarity, it's an anomaly and not something typical for the tires. I'll continue to use the tires and continue to recommend them without concern that they're somehow "inappropriate" for the car. The RE-11 works very well on 911s.
Old 08-13-2010, 10:46 AM
equiraptor
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by f4 plt
I appreciate all the opinions. While I don't track this car I do want wet and dry handling. I track an '83 SC (not very stock) and a Cayman. Both of these have cup tires for the track. When the PS2's wear out on the Cayman ( and I won't get near 18,000 on them) I will put RE 11's or Yoko Advon A 8's for autocross.
Do you autocross with Spokes, or spend much time at H2R? When we still lived in Austin, I ran with the Spokes (and SASCA) guys pretty extensively, and we still run H2R regularly (I'll be out there the 21st/22nd).

Quick Reply: Tires, old subject looking for recommendations