Sponsored by:

Impressions of RE-11's

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 07:12 PM
jw1977
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Impressions of RE-11's

I've got a little over 1,000 miles on my new Bridgestone RE-11's. So far i'm pretty pleased with them. I had the pzero's prior to this. They certainly feel more balanced than my Pzeros. They feel like they stick a little more than the Pzeros. They do seem fairly loud however. I remember the Pzero's being a little quiter when they were new. I ended up putting the 305's instead of the 295's i had prior, maybe that makes a little more road noise. Overall, I'm happy with the tires and they are quite a bit cheaper than the Pzero's or Michelins.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:20 PM
jw1977
Pro

One other thing I forgot to mention. I have noticed that the RE-11's seem to have more of a temperature fluctuation than the RE-11's. In the heat I've them go up 8 pounds from cold.
Old 07-23-2010, 07:53 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jw1977
One other thing I forgot to mention. I have noticed that the RE-11's seem to have more of a temperature fluctuation than the RE-11's. In the heat I've them go up 8 pounds from cold.
Ha? You mean more fluctation than Pzero, right? If that's true, that's actually not a great sign IMO.

Is that for the rear or front? or both? If mostly for rear, maybe they're not meant to take the weight of the engine, so they over-heat. 8 PSI is A LOT, I only get that much fluctuation on the track on a very hot day and usually a lot less than 8PSI. On the street 2-3PSI.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:11 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

RE11s are a great autocross tire because they come up to temperature very quickly, but that makes them less than ideal for track use because they don't shed heat well at all. It's not that they can't take the weight, it's just that they retain the heat. Another symptom of this trait is that they'll stay hot for a long time after a session on track.

In contrast to the PZeros, though, they do seem to handle the high temperatures very well from a durability standpoint. They'll get greasy and inconsistent after 10 or 15 minutes of aggressive driving, but they endure the heat very well. Once they cool down they're fine again and won't show any graining or distress.

See also this active thread in the GT3 forum:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...the-track.html
Old 07-23-2010, 08:33 PM
equiraptor
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The RE-11 do have a problem with heat on track (and at hot autocrosses, like in a Texas summer). However, the problem is not that they retain heat. Rather, it's that the compound used for the tire is designed for a lower operating temperature than some other tires. Any given tread compound has a temperature range where it has optimal grip. In the RE-11, this temperature range is around typical (summer) street temperatures and typical autocross temperatures. The range is not sufficiently broad for the tire to be at optimal grip at a 50°F autocross and late in a 25 minute track session. Bridgestone has chosen to design these tires for the autocrossers, rather than the track enthusiasts.

On the other hand, tires like the Pilot Sport Cups and Kumho XS are designed with their optimal temperature range centered around track use. They have "enough" grip at street temperatures, but will provide more grip once they reach track operating temperatures, and can handle more heat before they start to lose grip (become greasy) than tires like the RE-11 can handle.

A result of these design choices by the manufacturers is the RE-11 make excellent rain tires. The rain keeps the tires from overheating, so they remain at their optimal grip levels. As Nugget said, the problem isn't weight, but rather heat. They're great rain tires for his GT3 RS, but poor dry tires, even for a 2100 pound Miata.

The RE-11 are a fantastic street tire for someone who wants a lot of grip on the street. They're not a great track tire, but they can handle dual duty as a street-track tire, if they need to.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:22 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Great info, thanks guys!

More reasons to stick with N-rated tires for all-purpose usage, street and track. 8PSI fluctuation during street driving is just too much IMO.
Old 07-23-2010, 11:42 PM
swajames
Racer

I have the RE-11 and I much prefer the tire to the OEM N-rated PS2 and PZeros, both of which I have had on my current and prior 997.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:14 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by equiraptor
The RE-11 do have a problem with heat on track (and at hot autocrosses, like in a Texas summer). However, the problem is not that they retain heat. Rather, it's that the compound used for the tire is designed for a lower operating temperature than some other tires. Any given tread compound has a temperature range where it has optimal grip. In the RE-11, this temperature range is around typical (summer) street temperatures and typical autocross temperatures. The range is not sufficiently broad for the tire to be at optimal grip at a 50°F autocross and late in a 25 minute track session. Bridgestone has chosen to design these tires for the autocrossers, rather than the track enthusiasts.

On the other hand, tires like the Pilot Sport Cups and Kumho XS are designed with their optimal temperature range centered around track use. They have "enough" grip at street temperatures, but will provide more grip once they reach track operating temperatures, and can handle more heat before they start to lose grip (become greasy) than tires like the RE-11 can handle.

A result of these design choices by the manufacturers is the RE-11 make excellent rain tires. The rain keeps the tires from overheating, so they remain at their optimal grip levels. As Nugget said, the problem isn't weight, but rather heat. They're great rain tires for his GT3 RS, but poor dry tires, even for a 2100 pound Miata.

The RE-11 are a fantastic street tire for someone who wants a lot of grip on the street. They're not a great track tire, but they can handle dual duty as a street-track tire, if they need to.

That's what I hear. These tires impress those who drive mostly on the street, in traffic, and seldom push the car.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:32 AM
jw1977
Pro

It was 100 degrees when I had the 8 pound fluctuation. The thing that I hate is I already have to run the tires 3 pounds higher so the tpms light. Doesn't come on. That means I'm almost at 50 pounds on the rear. Is that dangerous.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:01 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

It was 100 degrees when I had the 8 pound fluctuation. The thing that I hate is I already have to run the tires 3 pounds higher so the tpms light. Doesn't come on. That means I'm almost at 50 pounds on the rear. Is that dangerous.
Yes it is! Although u gotto check max psi on the tire sidewall. PS2 is 50 psi and I assume RE11 is the same.

Ps. I just checked re11 specs. Max pressure is 50psi. Make sure u don't get to that level.
Old 07-24-2010, 01:01 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Yes. Fix your TPMS and run your tires at the proper cold pressures (33/39 if 997.1 or 34/40 if 997.2 19"rims all).
Old 07-24-2010, 01:26 PM
swajames
Racer

For the record, I've never had an issue with pressure fluctuation on my RE-11s. Pressures may increase a little in hot weather, as with any other tire, but the RE-11s seem no more susceptible to fluctuation than any of the OEM tires. It seems like the OP already has his tires over-inflated, and if he is experiencing issues it is the inflation level that is the likely culprit and not the tire.

To the OP - as others have said, set your tires to the right pressures and recalibrate TPMS. The TPMS light won't come on. There is no need to overinflate your tires just to avoid a TPMS warning, you just need to recalibrate.
Old 07-24-2010, 02:13 PM
sin911
Rennlist Member

Received 726 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
Great info, thanks guys!

More reasons to stick with N-rated tires for all-purpose usage, street and track. 8PSI fluctuation during street driving is just too much IMO.
I've been running RE-11s on my car for about 3 months now and never had any problem on the street. The pressure fluctuations on street are around 3-4psi even in Miami heat.

On the track it is another issue...
Old 07-24-2010, 03:51 PM
jw1977
Pro

Does the dealer have to recalibrate the tpms system?
Old 07-24-2010, 03:55 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Yes. Fix your TPMS and run your tires at the proper cold pressures (33/39 if 997.1 or 34/40 if 997.2 19"rims all).
I'm curious as to why the recommended pressures are different between the 997.1 and 997.2?

Quick Reply: Impressions of RE-11's