Sponsored by:

2007 997 TT vs 997S

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 09:00 AM
ragincajun
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 997 TT vs 997S

Sorry guys if you think this is a crazy request for opinions BUT here goes. I am a newbie to the forum and haven't owned a P-car YET but seriously in market. I'm a typical engineer that can never get enough information so here goes. I know the 997TT is a wholly different animal than the 997S from a performance issue etc.....

I work abroad so the car will only be used about 4 months out of the year (not consecutive) so it will not be a daily driver and will sit most of the time. I am buying it just as a toy so what are your opinions-----TT or S? Thanks everyone in advance.
Old 08-11-2010, 09:18 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ragincajun
Sorry guys if you think this is a crazy request for opinions BUT here goes. I am a newbie to the forum and haven't owned a P-car YET but seriously in market. I'm a typical engineer that can never get enough information so here goes. I know the 997TT is a wholly different animal than the 997S from a performance issue etc.....

I work abroad so the car will only be used about 4 months out of the year (not consecutive) so it will not be a daily driver and will sit most of the time. I am buying it just as a toy so what are your opinions-----TT or S? Thanks everyone in advance.
Do you want to go lightning fast in a straight line or slingshot round corners like a rocket round the moon? I can't put it simpler than that.

The two can do both tasks to a reasonable degree (but only up to a point) and each is unbeatable at one. I'm sure you can guess which.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:16 AM
lvandermerwe
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW, I really, really am satisfied with my S. If it were a TT, I would be REALLY, REALLY,..........
Being an engineer, you would always wonder; What if?
If you can afford the TT, then go for it.
Pics?
Old 08-11-2010, 11:18 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

For a weekend toy on the street and occasional track use I'd get the TT.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I think you should just drive them both and you'll find that it's an easy decision. They're different enough that you'll almost certainly have a preference after you've had a chance behind the wheels of each.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:41 AM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

I am buying it just as a toy so what are your opinions-----TT or S? Thanks everyone in advance.
Public roads? Get the TT with the HP and TQ! You will NOT be disappointed.

Matter of fact you will start to wonder why the other Porsches are underpowered. Fact is neither car's performance capacity can be exhibited on public roads except one: straight line acceleration. On public roads that's the most important too. Passing cars in two lane rural highway, getting on front of a left-lane hog on an interstate, making quick distance between you and some annoying wannabe. All done with the TT as you fling around any turn or corner as fast as road conditions and personal sanity will allow.

It's a myth that the steering feel is the reason guys pick the 997S over the TT on a road car. Test drive the TT, punch the gas pedal and you will forget all about that subtle difference. It seems to me you rarely hear guys complain about the NA C4S vs NA C2S steering feel. It seems they only pull that niggling issue out when discussing the TT so as to lessen the effect of the sensitive not-enough-hp issue. Keep in mind steering feel is not the same as being equipped to fly around corners and needing a diaper. Both cars will thrill you equally with their cornering ability - the limits of which you will never reach on public roads.

There I said it. Please don't hate me for it. "Hate" Porsche for pricing and producing the TT the way they do.

TT as road car and Porsche toy: it's perfect, it's ultimate. Get one!

Last edited by LlBr; 08-11-2010 at 01:17 PM.
Old 08-11-2010, 11:52 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LlBr
Fact is you rarely hear guys complain about the NA C4S vs NA C2S steering feel. They only pull that out when discussing the TT so as to lessen the effect of the sensitive not-enough-hp issue.
You must be new here.

The real fact is -- in my C2S and in my GT3 I almost never wish I had more horsepower but I often wish it were lighter and more nimble. The TT is two steps in the wrong direction as far as I'm concerned. If I wanted a car that was a screamer in a straight line I'd buy a Z51.

But that's just my preference -- I can totally understand how someone could be completely won over by the TT's power and torque. It's a matter of driving style and the roads you're able to drive on. That's why I suggest that everyone just drive both and see where their passion leads them.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:10 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Nugget
You must be new here.

The real fact is -- in my C2S and in my GT3 I almost never wish I had more horsepower but I often wish it were lighter and more nimble. The TT is two steps in the wrong direction as far as I'm concerned.

But that's just my preference -- I can totally understand how someone could be completely won over by the TT's power and torque. It's a matter of driving style and the roads you're able to drive on. That's why I suggest that everyone just drive both and see where their passion leads them.

Yeah, some guys are more advanced than the rest of us, you might be one of them. I salute you.

Where are you driving your cars, C2S and GT3, on a track?

The rest of us can't get into it that deeply. I have had several sports cars, did many repairs and mods and have rebuilt several engines in my car-nut-lifetime and have even taken a BMW driver's ed course (WOW! ). That qualifies me as a non-idiot.

Sooooo, my point is for the average 'non-idiot' car nut, the steering feel and nimble-ness is not an issue on a road car. I know because I went from 997s to TT and never looked back.

I'm not backing off promoting to the OP that the TT as the superior road car and Porsche toy. There's no way the 997S can compete with it on roads and highways.

Again, with all due respect.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:16 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

There's room in the world for people that prefer both cars. The fact that some of us prefer the C2S to the TT doesn't diminish your love for your car and that goes the other way too.

The people who disagree with your preference are not "pulling out" excuses or trying to compensate for "sensitive issues." They just have different priorities. For every grin you get from passing a slow car on a country road I get a grin just as big when I leave a tailgater in the dust because I can take a cloverleaf off-ramp 30mph faster than he can. I don't secretly wish I had a TT, just as I'm sure you don't secretly wish you'd kept your 997S. We just prefer different things.

Perhaps we can find common ground. I'll bet we'd both enjoy a GT2 RS.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:28 PM
LlBr
Drifting

There's room in the world for people that prefer both cars. The fact that some of us prefer the C2S to the TT doesn't diminish your love for your car and that goes the other way too.

The people who disagree with your preference are not "pulling out" excuses or trying to compensate for "sensitive issues." They just have different priorities. For every grin you get from passing a slow car on a country road I get a grin just as big when I leave a tailgater in the dust because I can take a cloverleaf off-ramp 30mph faster than he can. I don't secretly wish I had a TT, just as I'm sure you don't secretly wish you'd kept your 997S. We just prefer different things.

Perhaps we can find common ground. I'll bet we'd both enjoy a GT2 RS.
You're quite a guy, thanks for the reasonable thinking.

Just thought of another thing, we seem to be sensible. There are lots of guys who aren't. They will grab onto anything that can to justify their insecurities. Some insecure competitive dbag telling me his steering feel is 'better' than mine (because he heard it somewhere) is extremely annoying. A guy who tracks cars and knows cars who says that I can listen to. Point: who wants a bunch of robots repeating what they heard every time this issue comes up? I was wary of steering feel loss when I traded in my 997S. It took the twenty minute drive home (keeping the revs down!) in the new TT to forget all about that. While waiting for the car to be built I 'worried' all that time over steering feel loss for nothing! Oh well... . Thanks for the breath of fresh air.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:49 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LlBr
You're quite a guy, thanks for the reasonable thinking.

Just thought of another thing, we seem to be sensible. There are lots of guys who aren't. They will grab onto anything that can to justify their insecurities. Some insecure competitive dbag telling me his steering feel is 'better' than mine (because he heard it somewhere) is extremely annoying. A guy who tracks cars and knows cars who says that I can listen to. Point: who wants a bunch of robots repeating what they heard every time this issue comes up? I was wary of steering feel loss when I traded in my 997S. It took the twenty minute drive home (keeping the revs down!) in the new TT to forget all about that. While waiting for the car to be built I 'worried' all that time over steering feel loss for nothing! Oh well... . Thanks for the breath of fresh air.
I don't think the gen 2 C2S has particularly good steering feel either, though better than the 4wd Turbo, so I'm glad there's nothing to regret for you. There are those that love the Turbo (and I'm glad they've found their dream car) but I'm with Nugget as regards agility. My C2S is too heavy and it's about 150kg lighter than Turbo. GT3 next time for me. Poise before power every time!!
Old 08-11-2010, 01:54 PM
indesj01
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

you just need to drive both then decide. i have driven both and love the acceleration of the TT but am very happy with my C4S. i went with the C4S due to the lower price and that i was coming from a carrera 4 (996). honestly i am not as advanced as LlBr or Nugget i am just a dumb surgeon but after driving the turbo it will be my next p car when the warranty expires. take what they say to heart and then go drive em.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:01 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I think you should just drive them both and you'll find that it's an easy decision. They're different enough that you'll almost certainly have a preference after you've had a chance behind the wheels of each.
I second this.

They are quite a bit different actually. TT obviously has the straight line performance advantage, and most importantly LOTS of extra torque throughout power band.

It all comes down to preference. If you like to REV the engine high to get your power, an "S" and even a base Carrera would do, however, if you really love to have torque at any gear and can just put the pedal down and fly like a sling shot, then you gotto have TT.
Old 08-11-2010, 02:03 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
Poise before power every time!!
Everytime? Not realistic IMO. For example too many brain-dead variable speed drivers who "park" in front of you and must be passed.

With all due respect "p before p" seems over simplification. Like the TT has no poise. What quantitative scale are you using?. We know the NA has significantly less power.

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
Do you want to go lightning fast in a straight line or slingshot round corners like a rocket round the moon? I can't put it simpler than that.
The above also seems like a serious oversimplification. Like an advertisement for the NA car. Why not 'simply' compare Porsche to Chevy Camero instead of C2S to TT?

Anyway, no big deal. It's just hard for me to understand. I have ZERO regrets about upgrading my 997S to TT. I can't imagine anybody feeling differently actually going from NA to TT unless they are totally specialized in their habits and expectations by being..., oh I dunno..., maybe from being obsessive track rats or into exotic stuff like F1 or nitro dragsters (which is not a bad thing).
Old 08-11-2010, 02:06 PM
indesj01
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
I second this.

They are quite a bit different actually. TT obviously has the straight line performance advantage, and most importantly LOTS of extra torque throughout power band.

It all comes down to preference. If you like to REV the engine high to get your power, an "S" and even a base Carrera would do, however, if you really love to have torque at any gear and can just put the pedal down and fly like a sling shot, then you gotto have TT.
agree whole heartedly

Quick Reply: 2007 997 TT vs 997S