Sponsored by:

PDK

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 11:29 PM
MrSelfDestruct
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts
Default PDK

Anyone else here feel that PDK/Auto-manual/Dual-clutch transmissions are the end of Porsche (and all other fantastic cars for that matter)? For me, anything less than a six speed on a 911 is blasphemy! I fear the day when the manual transmission is completely replaced by 8 speed computers...
Old 07-09-2010, 11:35 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

No. PDK is great. You just need to understand how to use it and extract the best from the driving experience.

6-speed manual is great too and it's good to have 2 great options.

Funny thing is that all random posts like this come from 6-speed owners deriding PDK, never from PDK owners deriding 6-speed... Hmm, I wonder why!?!
Old 07-09-2010, 11:39 PM
TheMethLab
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my 6 speed but I'm open to paddles. Good enough for F1, good enough for me.
Old 07-09-2010, 11:48 PM
MrSelfDestruct
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
No. PDK is great. You just need to understand how to use it and extract the best from the driving experience.

6-speed manual is great too and it's good to have 2 great options.

Funny thing is that all random posts like this come from 6-speed owners deriding PDK, never from PDK owners deriding 6-speed... Hmm, I wonder why!?!
Fair enough. I'm certainly not here to trash PDK. For intents and purposes it is a better transmission. I've driven all manner of auto-manual transmissions from PDK to DSG to SMG. I hate them all. I don't find manual better than PDK, just more enjoyable. What I dislike is that fact that more and more cars come without the option of a manual transmission. Given the choice, I would actually pay more for a manual.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:19 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

i had 6 speed 997 and i "hated the idea of pdk" but after a few test drives i had to have it and bought it... amazing car, love it everyday.
Old 07-10-2010, 01:02 AM
tpenta
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 6-spd 997.1S and love it. However, a few weeks ago, I drove the PDK on an track and absolutely loved it. I would have never considered it before that experience. But, I also loved the .2S differences in general.

Coincidentally, today I met a guy who turned back his 2009 PDK because he hated it and is now looking for a standard 2011...

Everyone is different. It's good to have options in life.

-T
Old 07-10-2010, 01:37 AM
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

PDK the best transmission ever in my 19 cars to date of 36 years driving every vehicle on the planet.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:37 PM
mambodoc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a manual Cayenne and 928GTS...wanted the same in a 977.2 until I drove a PDK C4S launch coupe after a C4S manual coupe...was sold on it after the test drive...Its a blast in the way it reacts...seems like the car is alive! On a similar note...never thought I like Sports Buckets as much as I do now! I'll always option for them in the future.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 91469972
PDK the best transmission ever in my 19 cars to date of 36 years driving every vehicle on the planet.
sounds like you haven't driven a .2GT3RS yet.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:46 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSelfDestruct
Anyone else here feel that PDK/Auto-manual/Dual-clutch transmissions are the end of Porsche (and all other fantastic cars for that matter)? For me, anything less than a six speed on a 911 is blasphemy! I fear the day when the manual transmission is completely replaced by 8 speed computers...
Nope. Just the end of the old slush box auto transmission.

IIRC can't even order a new 997 Turbo S with a 6-speed. PDK only choice.

Many of the other luxury/sports car makers report the sales of cars with manual-matic transmissions make up a larger percentage of total sales. In some cases the number of cars going out with the old style manual is under 10% of total sales.

Might be die-hard 6-speed manual fans have abandoned these cars but looks like plenty of new buyers who like the new style transmission to take their place.

Maybe when these PDKs get more sophisticated the designers can implement a missed shift mode, select the wrong gear mode, stall the engine mode, burn the clutch up in 20K miles mode, and once in a great while perform the "money shift" and take out the valves, to make the lovers of the old style 6-speed transmissions feel at home.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:56 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Macster
... Maybe when these PDKs get more sophisticated the designers can implement a missed shift mode, select the wrong gear mode, stall the engine mode, burn the clutch up in 20K miles mode, and once in a great while perform the "money shift" and take out the valves, to make the lovers of the old style 6-speed transmissions feel at home.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I have had a 6-speed 997.1 and now a PDK 997.2. The PDK car is certainly very capable, but I genuinely miss the involvement of using three pedals and the stick. I've test-driven some other sporty cars with manuals lately, and it definitely hammered home the point that I MUST have a manual in my fun car. PDK is a brilliant thing if you want/need an automatic-type transmission, but it just bores me. It's my 4th car with a dual-clutch (2 GTIs, 1 A3), but there is just something missing from the experience. Whereas DSG and the 2.0T in my GTI seem like a good fit, that 3.8 in my 911 just begs for my "personal" touch.

FWIW, I think the much-derided paddle-buttons on the standard PDK are fine. I considered getting the paddle-shift wheel, but I like the fact that either side "in" is a downshift and either side "out" is an upshift. The haters have not spent any amount of time with it before spewing the nonsense....
Old 07-10-2010, 01:54 PM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll go on record as being a manual guy (I find the challenge makes driving more fun).

The trends are what make me more vocal.
Ferrari eliminating the manual (even as a for-pay option) is very worrying.

Porsche, please continue to give us both options!
Old 07-10-2010, 02:44 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSelfDestruct
"...anything less than a six speed..."

I drove a 5sp '87 Carrera just the other day - less than 6 - didn't seem like blasphemy - sublime actually in a way.

Some say "less is more", some "more is more". PDK is more money and more gadgets - and more gears! More More More, not "less", so not blasphemy.

Or you could go with a "variety is the spice of life" view as some of us have. My view is if I try something and don't like it, then I don't have to do it again.

But I totally get the MT love thing - it doesn't have to be modern, efficient, high-tech to be fun - it just has to be fun.

What I don't get is the incorrect assumption that a PDK car can not also be fun - my car is a blast.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:28 PM
1BlinkGone
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Blasphemy my eye. It's still a Porsche. If that isn't enough, I don't know what is. IMHO, neither car is inferior to the other.

If I was looking for a pre-PDK era Porsche, I'd definitely want the 6-sp manual. But now that we have the PDK... Anything '09 or over (with the updated engine) the PDK is #1 on my list.

Quick Reply: PDK