Sponsored by:

PDK

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 12:35 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Thanks....but the Caymans are simular int he material? The GT3/RS are brass clutches correct?

I have no idea what type of LSD is in my PDK car.
I suggest you ask savyboy.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:37 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I suggest you ask savyboy.
I thought he has a GT3RS now? Did he do a mod on a C2S PDK?

Savyboy, you got some knowledge for me on this????
Old 07-15-2010, 03:14 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mdrums
I thought he has a GT3RS now? Did he do a mod on a C2S PDK?

Savyboy, you got some knowledge for me on this????
Savyboy has both - actually 3 - 997.2RS, C4S PDK, Spyder PDK. I suggest you send Savyboy a private message.
Old 07-15-2010, 08:23 AM
Jim 'n' SC
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I to each his own, but for me I enjoy the total engagement of the manual transmission. Not using my left foot just doesn't do it for me. I enjoy the challenge of trying to make that perfect shift, I don't want or need a computer doing it for me! Why pay extra for PDK when you can get a 6 speed for free!
Old 07-15-2010, 01:13 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by winkingchef
I'll go on record as being a manual guy (I find the challenge makes driving more fun).

The trends are what make me more vocal.
Ferrari eliminating the manual (even as a for-pay option) is very worrying.

Porsche, please continue to give us both options!

Ferrari will probably go out of business because they eliminated the manual
Old 07-16-2010, 05:16 PM
jakes dad
Racer

Originally Posted by kosmo
i like blondes.
i like brunettes.
i like coke.
i like sprite.

I went shopping for a manual and came home with a PDK.... It didn't make any difference to me... I'd have preferred a six speed and a clutch but ended up with an auto and two clutches... I'm flexible...

Old 07-16-2010, 06:12 PM
jimjoe997
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I love my PDK. The only time I miss the clutch pedal is when I am coasting to a stop. Sometimes I just want to coast, without the (very cool) PDK downshifts. I know I can slip the lever into neutral, but it's not a natural thing for me. BTW, does anyone know if coasting in neutral is OK in a PDK 4S?
Old 07-17-2010, 01:09 PM
tincanman99
Instructor

Originally Posted by jakes dad
Ferrari will probably go out of business because they eliminated the manual
Ferrari went out of business years ago when Fiat bought them .

I think PDK is great. I have been hemming and hawing on the Porsche thing for a quite some but did decide that when its time to buy I absolutely want the PDK.

I have driven it many times already and its similar to the DSG in one of my Audi's. When I got my Audi with the DSG, in the beginning my opinion was that its just another glorified automatic. After a couple of years I now appreciate it because I can shift when I want to shift and do nothing when I dont want to shift. Frankly it shifts better than me . And its fast, far faster than a human - its incredible to watch it shift up/down hills by itself knowing exactly what gear its supposed to be in.

Where I live the traffic is ugly a lot of the time, lots of stop and go driving can make you insane with the clutch.

I welcome the new technology. For people that want the manual, nothing wrong with that. Go to it.
Old 07-17-2010, 01:50 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSelfDestruct
Anyone else here feel that PDK/Auto-manual/Dual-clutch transmissions are the end of Porsche (and all other fantastic cars for that matter)? For me, anything less than a six speed on a 911 is blasphemy! I fear the day when the manual transmission is completely replaced by 8 speed computers...
Seriously, the end of Porsche? And why would that be, pray tell? The PDK replaced the tiptronic. It didn't replace the 6 speed. You might have something to cry about if it was the latter, or if the PDK was standard and you had to pay for a 6 speed. Neither of which is likely to happen any time soon and likely, ever.

You have nothing to worry about.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:41 AM
ralt12
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would have never, ever even thought about anything other than a 6-speed until one fine evening years ago when I was putting one of my stints in at the Daytona 24-hour. Headed into Turn 1, which is one of those 180-down-to-80 experiences, I happened to be following a Ferrari 360 who kept clipping off perfect downshift after perfect downshift, and after a while it was just getting annoying. We had a normal H-pattern, it was the year before sequentials were offered, and you could tell that it was the wave of the future, just no way to tromp on the brakes, blip, and downshift PERFECTLY every time.
The Tiptronic, though, was just not something that fit the bill, might just as well have an AMG-Mercedes as fit a Tiptronic, but the PDK is a different animal altogether.
While I miss the ability to skip gears, I don’t miss it that much, because the gearbox is really a jewel. If I find myself in a position where I want the manual option, the manual settings on the PDK really work well; the Sport Chrono Plus option gives you a set of algorithms that work pretty well by themselves, and then you’ve got "Normal" settings (not sure anyone uses anything but the "Sport" settings) for both the monster 7th (mileage) and for grueling traffic conditions.
PDK?? I never thought I’d say it, but it works for me.

Last edited by ralt12; 07-18-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:57 AM
Palmbeacher
Banned

I don't think PDK is the end of Porsche, in fact if anything it probably is bringing in more buyers...guys who considered Tiptronic a "wussy" transmission but the whole double-clutch paddle-shift mumbojumbo of PDK sounds "manly" enough they can rationalize to others (really, themselves) it isn't really an automatic...even if despite what they say, when nobody else is in the car with them they leave it in 'D' and never touch the paddles

But I will say if PDK becomes the only transmission in the future, it will spell the end of Porsche for me. Once I have no choice but an automatic...and whatever you want to say, that's what a PDK is...for the same money I'll get a V8 E-Class Mercedes, which is quieter, smoother-riding, easier to get in and out of, and all those other things that go hand-in-hand with clutchless, shiftless driving.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:47 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
But I will say if PDK becomes the only transmission in the future, it will spell the end of Porsche for me. Once I have no choice but an automatic...and whatever you want to say, that's what a PDK is...for the same money I'll get a V8 E-Class Mercedes, which is quieter, smoother-riding, easier to get in and out of, and all those other things that go hand-in-hand with clutchless, shiftless driving.
If I understand your logic, the only thing about a sports car that differentiates it from a sedan, for you, is the clutch and shifter? And if a Porsche, say a 911, no longer had a manual gearbox you might as well own a 4-door? If that's really true, you're missing a lot of what "sports cars" have to offer. Tracking that E-class Mercedes, just as one example, might not be as much fun as you think.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 07-19-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-18-2010, 01:57 PM
camhabib
Instructor

I'm sure people said the same thing when power steering, power brakes, and power windows came along. People will always resist change, often times for the sake of resistance itself. Are you as "involved" in the shifting process as with a manual? No. But neither are you by using power steering, and no one really seems to have an issue with that. If I could drive a manual well enough to shift as fast and perfectly every time as a PDK, perhaps I would consider it, but right now, and until I can, PDK is the option for me. Some people think different, and it's because of that variation, that Porsche gives us these wonderful things known as "options."
Old 07-18-2010, 02:00 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
If I understand your logic, the only thing about a sports car that differentiates it from a sedan, for you, is the clutch and shifter? That if a Porsche, say a 911, no longer had a manual gearbox you might as well own a 4-door? If that's really true, you're missing a lot of what "sports cars" have to offer. Tracking that E-class Mercedes, just as one example, might not be as much fun as you think.
+1 Words out of my mouth.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:47 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Originally Posted by camhabib
I'm sure people said the same thing when power steering, power brakes, and power windows came along. People will always resist change, often times for the sake of resistance itself. Are you as "involved" in the shifting process as with a manual? No. But neither are you by using power steering, and no one really seems to have an issue with that. If I could drive a manual well enough to shift as fast and perfectly every time as a PDK, perhaps I would consider it, but right now, and until I can, PDK is the option for me. Some people think different, and it's because of that variation, that Porsche gives us these wonderful things known as "options."
I always endeavour (and sometimes succeed) to heel and toe downshift with revs perfectly matched and I often can rev match on the upshifts - and the rewards I enjoy from doing so make manual transmissions preferable for me. But PDK is faster and gives you less to worry about when preparing for corner entry. Each to their own. As long as we have a choice we can all be happy.

As a side note, this topic comes up time and again on Rennlist, over on UK forums, I've never seen it once. You'd have thought it would be more of a point of debate in manual transmission-dominated UK than in auto USA!!

Quick Reply: PDK