Sponsored by:

PDK

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 06:35 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Funny thing is that all random posts like this come from 6-speed owners deriding PDK, never from PDK owners deriding 6-speed... Hmm, I wonder why!?!
The PDK is incredible, don't know that I would ever go back to a 6-speed 911. Although, I did also really enjoy my 6-speeds.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:40 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSelfDestruct
Anyone else here feel that PDK/Auto-manual/Dual-clutch transmissions are the end of Porsche (and all other fantastic cars for that matter)? For me, anything less than a six speed on a 911 is blasphemy! I fear the day when the manual transmission is completely replaced by 8 speed computers...
Nope- if PDK was good enough for the factory drivers in the 962 I am happy to use it. It is like not wanting to buy a car with ABS. You have a 997 which is blasphemy to the air cooled pre ABS guys.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:47 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Anybody read about the PDK race car that was built with full cup suspension etc. in the June 2010 issue of Excellence?

I drove the car yesterday at Calabogie. Very, very impressive. I left it in automatic the entire time. WOW is all I can say.

I love manuals but I'd have a hard time turning down PDK.
Old 07-10-2010, 06:56 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Anybody read about the PDK race car that was built with full cup suspension etc. in the June 2010 issue of Excellence?

I drove the car yesterday at Calabogie. Very, very impressive. I left it in automatic the entire time. WOW is all I can say.

Walter drove the ring with a PDK turbo in automatic and was to the second as quick as he was with a 6 speed. When they get it to a point that the tranny can take 8,400RPM it will be in the GT cars. I for one will use the technology.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:36 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

Wow...as a huge track guy and PDK owner I would love to see that car in person let alone drive it.

Do you know if they changed out to factory LSD? Also how are the PDK clutches holding up for them? Thanks!
Old 07-10-2010, 10:05 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Macster
Maybe when these PDKs get more sophisticated the designers can implement a missed shift mode, select the wrong gear mode, stall the engine mode, burn the clutch up in 20K miles mode, and once in a great while perform the "money shift" and take out the valves, to make the lovers of the old style 6-speed transmissions feel at home.
That is hilarious! "The Money Shift"...lol!

PDK is simply awesome and the 6 speed is awesome. We are lucky we live in a time when we have such things to argue over. Either choice is full of win. I love them both equally.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:36 AM
LPpfs997
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Member with PDK question

What percent of each trans. is sold in Europe and the USA ? I heard that Porsche feels they'll be selling only pdk's in 5 years. A guy I know was at a training seminar recently and the group was surveyed afterward : PDK or 6-speed. The trainees were split but the instructors all selected the pdk.

I pick up my new c4s tomorrow (w/ pdk, trade is c4 man.). It's a efficiency and speed issue. There are still guys who love 3 speed column shifters and 2 speed autos; they drive old Nova's and Dodges but who's checking the details ?
Old 07-14-2010, 09:32 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,431 Likes on 827 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSelfDestruct
Fair enough. I'm certainly not here to trash PDK. For intents and purposes it is a better transmission. I've driven all manner of auto-manual transmissions from PDK to DSG to SMG. I hate them all. I don't find manual better than PDK, just more enjoyable. What I dislike is that fact that more and more cars come without the option of a manual transmission. Given the choice, I would actually pay more for a manual.
amen

Originally Posted by Macster

Maybe when these PDKs get more sophisticated the designers can implement a missed shift mode, select the wrong gear mode, stall the engine mode, burn the clutch up in 20K miles mode, and once in a great while perform the "money shift" and take out the valves, to make the lovers of the old style 6-speed transmissions feel at home.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Why add all that when they already have the "i'm so bored because I'm driving a video game where the car does everything for me" mode?
Old 07-14-2010, 11:18 AM
Kuhan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was looking for a car, I was set on a tip but after driving it for a bit I was not sold on it and bought the 6-speed. The only thing that bothered me with the tip was the sloooow gear change. PDK has solved that and the next porker I buy will be a PDK (with paddles).

If you see the reviews like Top Gear of the PDK cars they basically make out that it's slower than the 6-speed. That's only because they are used to the ferrari paddles and find the Porsche version different.

Porsche will still offer a 6-speed while it remains a popular option. In recent history, something like 70% of 911s are sold with 6-speed. Let's see how that changes over time - if people keep buying the 6-speed then why wouldn't they sell it?
Old 07-14-2010, 11:30 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i like blondes.
i like brunettes.
i like coke.
i like sprite.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:36 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Originally Posted by mdrums
Wow...as a huge track guy and PDK owner I would love to see that car in person let alone drive it.

Do you know if they changed out to factory LSD? Also how are the PDK clutches holding up for them? Thanks!
The car is pretty incredible.

Full cage. LW flywheel. Factory PDK w/LSD. A smattering of Cup suspension parts.

PDK seems ok. I only drove it for 30 min.

They did have some computer glitches but they seem to have resolved them.

The car drove beautifully.

The owner told me that even though his PDK car is heavily modified and very quick, a bone stock 997.2 RS is still faster.

A PDK GT3 would be very interesting, and tempting, indeed.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:37 PM
mdrums
Race Director

The car is pretty incredible.

Full cage. LW flywheel. Factory PDK w/LSD. A smattering of Cup suspension parts.

PDK seems ok. I only drove it for 30 min.

They did have some computer glitches but they seem to have resolved them.

The car drove beautifully.

The owner told me that even though his PDK car is heavily modified and very quick, a bone stock 997.2 RS is still faster.

A PDK GT3 would be very interesting, and tempting, indeed.
Thanks for the report. I wonder if the light weight fly wheel is giving the PDK computer issues?

Do you know what he did for the factory LSD as they are not lasting more than a few laps according to the GT3 and GT3RS guys? Also the Cayman S spec racers claim the factory LSD clutch is not lasting.

I agree a PDK GT3 would be interesting...hopefully for my situation Porsche will do a PDK GT3 car.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:59 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Do you know what he did for the factory LSD as they are not lasting more than a few laps according to the GT3 and GT3RS guys? Also the Cayman S spec racers claim the factory LSD clutch is not lasting. ...
I just found out that the GT3/RS LSDs are not the same as those in the PDK transaxles.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:17 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Originally Posted by ADias
I just found out that the GT3/RS LSDs are not the same as those in the PDK transaxles.
Thanks....but the Caymans are simular int he material? The GT3/RS are brass clutches correct?

I have no idea what type of LSD is in my PDK car.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:35 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

I couldn't tell if the diff was done.

Not being my car i was focusing more than usual about braking in a straight line, not hitting anything etc.

Quick Reply: PDK