Sponsored by:

OT: Runaway Prius news today...

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 11:50 AM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 911FM
(Can't really do this with a plane... Funny thought is that most of the times, real problems for passengers occur when the aicraft touches the ground, not while in the air. As long as you are in the air, you are probably alive. The ground is the real enemy here...).
FM
The first thing my wife's brother told rookie F-14 pilots he was training was "The ground is NOT your friend!" Sadly, a few of them didn't heed this advice.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:20 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Prius can be put in neutral 3 different ways while you have your foot on the gas; shift into neutral, but have to hold for 3 seconds, shift into reverse, it will instantly go to neutral, or push the park button and it will also shift into neutral. You can also turn the Prius off by pushing the start button for 3 seconds.

Sounds like this guy was just out for publicity.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:24 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Master Deep
But your 911 is just starting to get into its groove at 90mph...on a prius you would be fighting to keep control.
Totally... it's be 100times harder to control Prius at 90MPH than a 911... interesting he was so out of control and yet, called 9-1-1!!!
Old 03-10-2010, 12:32 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
... interesting he was so out of control and yet, called 9-1-1!!!
Exactly. I just think it is a sign of how our culture has lost the principle of self-reliance and personal responsibility. Many people want someone else to resolve their problems. The first instinct seems to be to pick up the phone and call 911. I'm surprised nobody has called Oprah yet during one of these incidents. I can see it now: someone texting to their Twitter friends "OMG like I'm totally out of control. My car won't stop. What should I do? I'm not LOL"
Old 03-10-2010, 12:32 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by camhabib
I guess the scariest thing for me isn't the current set of problems, which seem for the most part to have the attention of the automaker and are being addressed, it's what I said before, that a car company could produce millions of cars with the single most basic item in the car improperly engineered. We're not talking rocket science here, but we are talking engineers that are supposed to be capable of it. It just makes me wonder, what else they screwed up, and if I'd be the one whose life it would take to figure out what it was.
What makes you think there is an engineering flaw with "single most basic item" in Toyotas? Based on ONE accident?

911s at 100K+ had issues with RMS, HPFP, etc...

Your reaction is exactly what people who wanna create panic are hoping. To scare people off based on scare tactics!
Old 03-10-2010, 12:40 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I guess the scariest thing for me isn't the current set of problems, which seem for the most part to have the attention of the automaker and are being addressed, it's what I said before, that a car company could produce millions of cars with the single most basic item in the car improperly engineered. We're not talking rocket science here, but we are talking engineers that are supposed to be capable of it. It just makes me wonder, what else they screwed up, and if I'd be the one whose life it would take to figure out what it was.
And again... you're jumping to conclusions based on hyperbole and not facts.

The floormats that you keep harping on aren't a problem if they're installed correctly. Doesn't the consumer at some point in time assume some responsibility for piloting a 3,000 lb object down the highway at 65 mph?

It's a tragedy no matter what that the people in the picture you posted lost their lives. But there are dozens if not more of explanations as to what happened. We may never know. But jumping to conclusions and bashing Toyota based on assumptions is silly.
Old 03-10-2010, 02:58 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 702 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by texas911
The Prius can be put in neutral 3 different ways while you have your foot on the gas; shift into neutral, but have to hold for 3 seconds, shift into reverse, it will instantly go to neutral, or push the park button and it will also shift into neutral. You can also turn the Prius off by pushing the start button for 3 seconds.

Sounds like this guy was just out for publicity.
Having had a Prius loaner last month, I know that they use a ridiculously stupid shifter. (Sadly it seems all manufacturers are coming up with some stupid looking shifter instead of a traditional setup. Look at BMW, Jag, etc.)

I'm also going to assume 99% of driver's on the road are not enthusiasts. A car is simply a tool to get from point A to point B. Many of these people hate driving. It is a chore to them. They aren't the kind that tries to learn everything about their car. They probably don't EVER even open their car manual. Sadly, these same people don't even know some basic safety techniques.

Half the people don't even know what neutral is for because they never used it. I remember in Driver's Ed I learned that if the car starts accelerating, put the car into Neutral. The engine will rev and may be damaged, but the car won't speed up and you won't die. Of course people these days barely pass driver's ed and the driving test is a complete joke. Toyota should just give their owner's an education booklet on what to do in an emergency when owner's bring their cars in for the recall.

I worked for Toyota before too, and after working with them for 2 years I actually got turned off the brand. The cars look incredibly cheap. The exterior panels, the look and feel of the interior panels, the way the door sounds when you shut it, etc. I decided I didn't want a Toyota at that point. lol
Old 03-10-2010, 03:11 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Master Deep
They probably don't EVER even open their car manual. Sadly, these same people don't even know some basic safety techniques.
And therefore will experience a lesson in Darwinism...

Don't go walking alone at night in lion country- Seems a basic level of preparation served us well and kept us alive long enough to make it this far.

However, I could be easily convinced we have now entered the age of Idiocracy and begun devolution.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:07 PM
Minok
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Jon996
Just saw the guy on TV. He went back to the dealer (with about a dozen reporters in tow). 911 told him to put it into neutral. When asked why he did not put it in neutral he said that he was "unfamiliar with the transmission" and afraid that it would flip.
I'm glad he took his car back... unfortunately he should be banned form driving ANY car because he is too ignorant to be safe on the road. But thats what we get in America where $20 and a photo and answering 20 basic questions gets you a license to drive. We have some stooooopid people out there.

It would flip... I nearly blew a gasket when I heard him say that.

Of course, most of the issue is the news outlets that just latch onto this slight problem and have blown it way out of proportion. Why none of the reporters called him an idiot is beyond me, other than THEY themselves don't know how to stop a car.
Old 03-10-2010, 04:57 PM
camhabib
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
The floormats that you keep harping on aren't a problem if they're installed correctly. Doesn't the consumer at some point in time assume some responsibility for piloting a 3,000 lb object down the highway at 65 mph?
Whats worse, a surgeon who doesn't know how to perform an operation but does so anyways, or one who "does" know how to perform it but just kills the patient each time?

I may be not have as many years of life experience of some of the members on this board, but when a manufacture has to a) shave a gas pedal, b) zip tie something down, and c) recall 1M vehicles, something tells me that something wasn't properly engineered. Whether it was the floor mat itself, it's tethering mechanism, the length of the gas pedal, or something else, I don't really known and don't really care. Something that would have been BLATANTLY obvious to anyone who bothered to poke their head under the dash for three tenths of a second instead of singing off on it was missed. What else got overlooked?

Yes, consumers do have to take responsibility the second they step in the car and turn the key, but when you have 200 feet of freeway left and you notice you can't slow down and it's going to take you 500 feet to unjam / neutral / shut off / stand on the brake, you're looking at some trouble, caused by a lack of responsibility on the car makers part. It seems no one has
considered this point yet, that yes, there is lots you can do, what about the fact that there may not be enough time to do it, and the fact that you SHOULDN'T have to do it in the first place.

There is a reason some cars cost a little more then others, and it's usually the time that goes into them, including the time it takes to design and check these thing. Just like Dell computers, how do you think they can save so much money and make it cost effective to sell an item 2 or 3 x cheaper then everyone else? Corners have to be cut somewhere.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:21 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
Why none of the reporters called him an idiot is beyond me, other than THEY themselves don't know how to stop a car.
You hit the nail on the head. Most of the reporters out there today are more ignorant than their viewers. That is why they are so good at asking stupid uninformed questions. They assume you're as ignorant as they are.

Bring back the true news reporters like Walter Cronkite and get rid of the chatty pretty faces who aim to entertain rather than inform.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:12 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Am I the only one that becomes a bit nervous whenever a Prius drives close by.
Old 03-10-2010, 06:17 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 137 Posts

It seems no one has considered this point yet, that yes, there is lots you can do, what about the fact that there may not be enough time to do it, and the fact that you SHOULDN'T have to do it in the first place.
There will never be a perfect machine. When a machine operator assumes that risk, he/she must take responsibility for its proper use ('neutral' being there specifically to take a vehicle out of gear if need be).

Unfortunately, our government and court system continues to protect and reward the incompetent.
Old 03-10-2010, 08:03 PM
911FM
Racer

Just like Dell computers, how do you think they can save so much money and make it cost effective to sell an item 2 or 3 x cheaper then everyone else? Corners have to be cut somewhere.
Yeah. Dell=crap.

FM
Old 03-10-2010, 08:45 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Alstoy
Am I the only one that becomes a bit nervous whenever a Prius drives close by.
I get nervous. Not because of the car. Because the overwhelming majority of Prius drivers that I see here in S. CA are CRAP drivers.

Quick Reply: OT: Runaway Prius news today...