Sponsored by:

OT: Runaway Prius news today...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 01:33 PM
911FM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw

Not to be harsh, but that was about the time I realized that whenever I heard a report from a journalist on an event or a subject I knew about personally, that report was wrong in at least one major respect and usually more. I did not conclude that reporters were always intentionally faking things as Rather did. I just decided to quit believing anything I heard on television and damn little I read if it was written by a journalist.

Gary
Funny. This happens to me all the time as well!

FM
Old 03-12-2010, 01:39 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Master Deep
I think it is ridiculous that people don't realize you can simply nudge your car into neutral if anything is wrong.

But for the record, in that fatal Lexus RX accident, the man was trying to use the brakes to stop and he was telling 911 that they weren't working or slowing him down. Then the expressway ended and he blew through an intersection and rolled his car several times before it burst into flames. So maybe sometimes the brakes fail too? lol I don't know.

But I know he could have thrown that RX into neutral even without brakes...
That was an ES350 and had he thought to apply the e-brake he might have been able to slow down. The front brakes are always more robust because due to inertia they normally become the primary stopping force.

But in this case the engine was at WOT and DRIVING the front wheels. Since the braking force is biased toward the front more braking at the rear, the e-brake, might have helped.

Just as it apparently did with the Prius Monday.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:43 PM
911FM
Racer

Love the video!

FM
Old 03-12-2010, 01:47 PM
wwest
Drifting

I think it is ridiculous that people don't realize you can simply nudge your car into neutral if anything is wrong.

The Prius does not have a neutral in the traditional sense. The ICE and BOTH MGs, motor/generators, are ALWAYS mechanically coupled to the drive wheels. If the Prius' HSD control system was not paying attention to the brake light switch then what would make one think it would "acknowledge" the shifter's neutral position switch.

Be that as it may, I would (***) have certainly tried the neutral position but fully prepared to move it back into drive if the results were adverse.

Patently unfair of me since I am somewhat intimately aware of the workings of the Prius drive train, CVT/PSD operation.

But for the record, in that fatal Lexus RX accident, the man was trying to use the brakes to stop and he was telling 911 that they weren't working or slowing him down. Then the expressway ended and he blew through an intersection and rolled his car several times before it burst into flames. So maybe sometimes the brakes fail too? lol I don't know.

But I know he could have thrown that RX into neutral even without brakes...
Old 03-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

I may be generalizing , but Toyota drivers view their cars as appliances.
They buy them based on Consumer Report testing, and have as much attachment to , and working knowledge of as they have to their washing machines or air conditioners.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:53 PM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by Edgy01
In the flying business we learned a long time ago that it's more important in an emergency to fly the aircraft than to call the ground and talk to someone about a problem, that they can do little about.
And when you have exhausted all efforts to get the landing gear down or even just to get the indicator light to show a down and locked condition....

Who do you call....??

We called the tower, did a low flyby, tower confirmed that the gear appeared to be down but was it locked down..?
Old 03-12-2010, 01:54 PM
ericthepilot
Racer

Originally Posted by larrytrk
For those who have not seen this, a simple way to handle the problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZ4Pt...ure=popt02us02

PS, get the kids out of the room :>)
Excellent, send more instructional videos, you have enough road subjects to choose from
Old 03-12-2010, 01:56 PM
ericthepilot
Racer

Originally Posted by wwest
And when you have exhausted all efforts to get the landing gear down or even just to get the indicator light to show a down and locked condition....

Who do you call....??

We called the tower, did a low flyby, tower confirmed that the gear appeared to be down but was it locked down..?
Run the checklist, call the emergency and land before you run out of fuel !
TADA
Old 03-12-2010, 01:57 PM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by keninirvine
Another thing that amazes me is that people in this situation actually have the time and presence of mind to call 911 on a cell phone while apparently feeling their car is totally out of their control. Perhaps if their first instinct was not to pick up the phone, but to think of how to resolve their situation, they might be able to help themselves rather than expecting someone else so solve it for them while they're careening down the road at 90 mph.

So many people today believe that the minute anything happens to them, they have to pick up the cell and tell someone. I've been in the telecom business for most of my long career, and I can tell you that the phone would be the last thing I'd grab in a situation where my car seemed out of my control.
Until I read it here on one of the forums I would have never thought of using the e-brake, traditionally WEAK e-brake, to help stop a FWD car with a runaway engine FURIOUSLY driving the front wheels against the front braking effort.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:03 PM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by texas911
The Prius can be put in neutral 3 different ways while you have your foot on the gas; shift into neutral, but have to hold for 3 seconds, shift into reverse, it will instantly go to neutral, or push the park button and it will also shift into neutral. You can also turn the Prius off by pushing the start button for 3 seconds.

Sounds like this guy was just out for publicity.
That all presumes that the Prius' HSD system control firmware was not locked in a "deadly embrace" or had inadvertently executed a "race" sequence. Clearly the firmware was NOT paying attention to teh brake light switch otherwise it would ahve gone into regenerative braking mode when the brake lights illuminated.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:10 PM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by alexb76
What makes you think there is an engineering flaw with "single most basic item" in Toyotas? Based on ONE accident?

911s at 100K+ had issues with RMS, HPFP, etc...

Your reaction is exactly what people who wanna create panic are hoping. To scare people off based on scare tactics!
Even if the gas pedal was stuck in the fully depressed position, or even if the driver was holding it there, the brake light switch should have resulted in the HSD system entering regenerative braking mode.

The only possibility for Monday's Prius incident would be a flaw in the HSD firmware or some one HACKED that firmware.

Toyota has been saying that the HSD systems already have a BTO, Brake/Throttle Override. They base that on the "fact" that applying the brakes will ALWAYS (certainly SHOULD always) result in the system entering regenerative braking mode.

In Monday's case it quite clearly did NOT..!!
Old 03-12-2010, 02:15 PM
Master Deep
Rennlist Member

Received 723 Likes on 411 Posts

That was an ES350 and had he thought to apply the e-brake he might have been able to slow down. The front brakes are always more robust because due to inertia they normally become the primary stopping force.

But in this case the engine was at WOT and DRIVING the front wheels. Since the braking force is biased toward the front more braking at the rear, the e-brake, might have helped.

Just as it apparently did with the Prius Monday.
I thought the ES350 was the one with the cop driving?

There was also a Lexus RX loaner that had a fatal accident.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:19 PM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by Minok
I'm glad he took his car back... unfortunately he should be banned form driving ANY car because he is too ignorant to be safe on the road. But thats what we get in America where $20 and a photo and answering 20 basic questions gets you a license to drive. We have some stooooopid people out there.

It would flip... I nearly blew a gasket when I heard him say that.

Simply shows a lack of knowledge on your part. Putting an HSD system in neutral with the drive system, ICE & both MGs, in a runaway state could result in an ADVERSE situation. Our first instinct would be to use the brakes, and ANYONE owning a Prius would know how the drive system should react to that.

When it doesn't react as expected then any future action must be questioned, of questionable results.

Of course, most of the issue is the news outlets that just latch onto this slight problem and have blown it way out of proportion. Why none of the reporters called him an idiot is beyond me, other than THEY themselves don't know how to stop a car.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:25 PM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Even if the gas pedal was stuck in the fully depressed position, or even if the driver was holding it there, the brake light switch should have resulted in the HSD system entering regenerative braking mode.

The only possibility for Monday's Prius incident would be a flaw in the HSD firmware or some one HACKED that firmware.

Toyota has been saying that the HSD systems already have a BTO, Brake/Throttle Override. They base that on the "fact" that applying the brakes will ALWAYS (certainly SHOULD always) result in the system entering regenerative braking mode.

In Monday's case it quite clearly did NOT..!!
Old 03-12-2010, 02:30 PM
wwest
Drifting

What an IDIOT, salesman yet...!!

The case on Monday involved the Prius NOT reacting to brake application. In an engine runaway situation is that any one of us that would not first apply the brakes..? The CHP officer stated that he saw the brake lights on and smelled the brakes burning.

The only thing this idiot proved is that the Prius in Monday's incident had a serious firmware flaw.

Quick Reply: OT: Runaway Prius news today...