Spoiler in action

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 09:36 AM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by RollingArt
Nice Bruce.

See you're getting your monies worth out of that camera.

What's your next production project you'll be entertaining us with?

Phil
Here we go Phil. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhYxg0Zu0asShot yesterday AM and pulled together during the kids afternoon nap time.
And thanks to all for the kind words.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:57 AM
cab&coupe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice work Bruce, great camera angles...
Old 02-21-2010, 12:17 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

The nagging "Where's my spoiler question" doesn't have to be an issue with custom spoilers.

Not only will this one always be somewhat visible if you really look for it but, for this car it also creates much needed UPforce!
Attached Images  
Old 02-21-2010, 01:13 PM
RollingArt
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce R
Here we go Phil.
DUDE,
Hollywood is going to be knocking on your door soon.

I can see you now,, living high on a hill above LA., busy production schedules, hob-nobbing with the rich and famous, paparazzi, award banquets, riding in the back of your Porsche limo, wow, what a life.

Hope you remember your original film fans when you're living the high life.

BTW, I'd like a shot at leading actor in your first feature film. Please, give me a shot at this.

Have your people call my people.

I love you man.

Phil
Old 02-21-2010, 05:29 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

It's always bugged me that I can't see my spoiler when it is raised up.
So I mounted up a cam and captured some never before seen footage
Nice video, Bruce. Your circumstances don't seem right for it in the video run, but shortly after buying our car, I realized I could tell the moment the spoiler went up while merging on the freeway: behind me in the fast lane the Ford Fiesta wets its pants and loses ten mles an hour staring.

Don't know if they think the car is falling apart or they are just fascinated by active aero devices. Either way, it's a consistent reaction.

Gary
Old 02-21-2010, 06:28 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Next time you should mount the camera on the spoiler, itself! That would be neat to see!
Old 02-22-2010, 07:37 AM
afridi
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Let me add my two cents here. I drove 911s for many years before Porsche came up with aero aids (e.g., the duck tail, whale tail, etc.). I lived in Europe for awhile with a new 911S and found out what floating is all about on an autobahn without aids. I hit 120 mph routinely and it was just plain scary. Do not for a moment think that those things do not work. Later, I owned a 911 with a Carrera RSR tail and I could quite easily see 160 mph with that car (turbo) and it stayed glued to the ground at such speeds. Check the warning within the manual. It reminds you to watch your speed when you get up in speed with a non-op spoiler. It is dangerous.

These deployable spoilers are designed for optimal deployment. They induce drag, in exchange for downforce. Porsche's testing has found that 75 mph is the right place to exchange drag for downforce. When I'm in wet conditions I actually manually intervene and put mine up a bit earlier.
Agree with above. As for putting on the Turbo's wing, I would imagine if the front isnt balanced with the proper spoiler then the worst that would happen at speed would be front end lift with pronounced understeer. Not necessarily dangerous as most drivers would back off a bit.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:11 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by afridi
Agree with above. As for putting on the Turbo's wing, I would imagine if the front isnt balanced with the proper spoiler then the worst that would happen at speed would be front end lift with pronounced understeer.Not necessarily dangerous as most drivers would back off a bit.
Excellent point. I think you are correct. I guess you need lots of track experience to get use to it. Once my stock-equipped car gets to 150mph things get really uncanny and scary. I back off.

BTW, Never been faster than 156mph. That's on a clear day in a straight line with no wind. Actually, nowadays I never go faster than 140mph. Typical "frisky" speeds spurt up to 120 for a few seconds at a time.
Old 02-22-2010, 06:15 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Let me add my two cents here. I drove 911s for many years before Porsche came up with aero aids (e.g., the duck tail, whale tail, etc.). I lived in Europe for awhile with a new 911S and found out what floating is all about on an autobahn without aids. I hit 120 mph routinely and it was just plain scary. Do not for a moment think that those things do not work. Later, I owned a 911 with a Carrera RSR tail and I could quite easily see 160 mph with that car (turbo) and it stayed glued to the ground at such speeds. Check the warning within the manual. It reminds you to watch your speed when you get up in speed with a non-op spoiler. It is dangerous.

These deployable spoilers are designed for optimal deployment. They induce drag, in exchange for downforce. Porsche's testing has found that 75 mph is the right place to exchange drag for downforce. When I'm in wet conditions I actually manually intervene and put mine up a bit earlier.
All that and more. They also change the air flow out of the engine bay. Don't know when they began this, but on ours the spoiler goes up based on a combination of speed and engine temp. They mention a value I can't remember right now. 140? Something rather low like that, which will send the spoiler up at rather low speeds. When Spring comes to the Mojave, I expect the spoiler will be up at 55 mph. At least, that's what I plan to say if we're ever stopped by a highway patrolman who insists the spoiler was a tell-tale of speeding.

Gary
Old 02-22-2010, 08:15 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Originally Posted by simsgw
At least, that's what I plan to say if we're ever stopped by a highway patrolman who insists the spoiler was a tell-tale of speeding.

Gary
Tell him that the spoiler have been giving you all sorts of trouble.

It's not working correctly because, given the complexity of electronics of our cars, it only deploys when you set the cruise control for 55.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:17 PM
Schützenweber
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here we go Phil.
And thanks to all for the kind words.
Nice vid.

I like the angle ..

Last edited by Schützenweber; 02-22-2010 at 10:44 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 10:47 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Schützenweber
Nice vid.

I like the angle ..

Thanks, your post was the inspiration for my mount. However Newport has better scenery!
Old 02-22-2010, 11:24 PM
Schützenweber
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cheers, Bruce!

That particular POV really captures the curves in the artwork of the 911 ...

Mixing exterior with interior angles:

Last edited by Schützenweber; 02-22-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:38 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Schützenweber
Nice vid.

I like the angle ..

Was that shot along Coast Highway south of Laguna? Grew up on Newport Bay, but it's like they transplanted Marseilles into Monte Carlo these last few... uh, decades.[sigh]

Gary
Old 02-22-2010, 11:39 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LlBr
Tell him that the spoiler have been giving you all sorts of trouble.

It's not working correctly because, given the complexity of electronics of our cars, it only deploys when you set the cruise control for 55.
Nah. They wouldn't buy that. I already explained last time that being old and fragile, we never go more than 48 mph.

Quick Reply: Spoiler in action