Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 02:43 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fer2367
Is this a direct bolt on?

Thanks
No. At least for the 997.1 it's more complicate than bolt on. See photo below. Plus it won't work well at high speed with the rest of you car's factory designed "aerokit."
Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2010, 02:43 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can we get more shots of the wagon in the driveway?
Old 02-18-2010, 03:50 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default ?

Here are my thoughts on the project after completion....

It's close to a bolt on... rear deck lid fits perfectly and does bolt right on. Only areas that need some tweaking are as follows. The arms that house the hydraulics that raise the second wing blade bump the factory air box. One can either trim this (possible MAF issue) or simply swap your stock air box less cumbersome airbox set up; I went with Evo... and few small brackets to center the Fan as its slightly off....then some wiring so the second blade operated auto at speed XX... press button deployed below.

as for the below note I will keep my comments to myself....

Plus it won't work well at high speed with the rest of you car's factory designed "aerokit."

Originally Posted by LlBr
No. At least for the 997.1 it's more complicate than bolt on. See photo below. Plus it won't work well at high speed with the rest of you car's factory designed "aerokit."
Attached Images  

Last edited by mickfluff; 02-18-2010 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:23 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice vid...but you have WAY too much time on your hands.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:04 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by cole328
Nice vid...but you have WAY too much time on your hands.
Glad you said that and not my boss!
Actually iMovie makes it easy.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:12 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
... as for the below note I will keep my comments to myself....

Plus it won't work well at high speed with the rest of you car's factory designed "aerokit."
Do you have any doubt that you have randomly changed the aero properties of your car? If you have not balanced the front, your car at speeds above 100 will be lighter in the front. Aero changes are the toughest things to do and require knowledge and test equipment beyond the reach of most. But... I know people mess up aero for looks only.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:25 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default Not sure I agree

I do understand how and why someone would suggest this. But how are you certain it does not help more then it hinders? ... the wing is OEM factory Porsche so we are sure it has been tested, wind tunneled etc etc... on a car very similar in design...Wings creates XXX amounts of down force at XXX speed. Wings seem to get bigger, wider, taller the more down force people are striving for as seen on the 997 (simple raise lid) vs. the turbo (wider dual wing blades), vs the gt3 (larger fixed dual blade) vs the gt3 RS (Big wing!) By NO means saying it helps but am saying if the car was wind tested (no need, my car will never being doing oval laps at XXX speed) I bet it has as much chance at adding then it does deterring performance. At the least any loss would be marginal. I would trust this wing over many of the aftermarket makers out there and if had to make a bet would suggest it would help more then hinder if wind tunnel tested.....that said it is a valid point....

A point yes, worth noting, yes....

That's okay with me. My intention was to warn you of something that you may know. If you already know about the changed aerodynamics no problem.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:33 PM
LlBr
Drifting

A point yes, worth noting, yes....
It would make me paranoid about going 100mph+. For me it's in the same category of high speed concern (or worse?) as a patched tire.

Would be totally cool to have Porsche aerodynamic engineer tell us all the truth. But that's never going to happen.

I hope we're not going OT from the OP.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:42 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default Good point...

I do not have access to a wind tunnel or other but based on my cars ride height combined with the fact my front end is balanced with a low slung front chin spoiler would think I am safe....compared to a stock riding 997 I would believe car was more stable at higher speeds. Yes I agree when adding any exterior mods one will change the aero in some way.... for better or for worse... etc. Especially at higher the speeds. For me (everyone is different) those warp speeds are not a factor. And yes I like a car that is very aesthetically pleasing to the eye..... I realize purists have other intentions/agenda's different then I.

Originally Posted by ADias
Do you have any doubt that you have randomly changed the aero properties of your car? If you have not balanced the front, your car at speeds above 100 will be lighter in the front. Aero changes are the toughest things to do and require knowledge and test equipment beyond the reach of most. But... I know people mess up aero for looks only.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:45 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default I hope we're not going OT from the OP.

"I hope we're not going OT from the OP."

your right.... back on track, sorry OP

(But its a much different category....)

It would make me paranoid about going 100mph+. For me it's in the same category of high speed concern (or worse?) as a patched tire.

Would be totally cool to have Porsche aerodynamic engineer tell us all the truth. But that's never going to happen.

I hope we're not going OT from the OP.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:47 PM
LlBr
Drifting

your right.... back on track, sorry OP

)
Maybe not. Wait and see?

BTW, I'm sorry to have been a possible buzz kill. I mean you worked so hard to make the change and now we're all on it creating doubt.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:08 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default thats OK

You have been a perfect gentlemen in your comments, suggestions etc... I know putting ones self out there (posting pics as I had to share) does open up for such input. We are all entitled to opinions.

Maybe not. Wait and see?

I tend to agree...

Maybe not. Wait and see?

BTW, I'm sorry to have been a possible buzz kill. I mean you worked so hard to make the change and now we're all on it creating doubt.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:34 PM
Bruce R
Rennlist Member

Received 469 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdgenbird
can we get more shots of the wagon in the driveway?
It's an '02 with 67k miles that I bough in '08. It has Premium (amongst others includes leather), Comfort (amongst others includes heated seats) and Sports Packages (love the ///M wheel). Wish it had a 5 spd too but just finding a nice wagon with Sport was hard enough. Really is a nice family car if a little heavy on gas which matters little as day care is just a mile away! Otherwise it's been trouble free and came with new Michelins and so my out of pocket for the last 20 months has been low.

Bruce

PS deviating black carpets would have been a bonus as they are a bitch to keep clean!
Attached Images      
Old 02-18-2010, 10:16 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Great wagon.... I have always been a wagon fan. Would love a e55 wagon someday.... and also like your vanity plate....

added: also looked at the Volvo Type R wagon a ways back, also a cool wagoon!

Originally Posted by Bruce R
It's an '02 with 67k miles that I bough in '08. It has Premium (amongst others includes leather), Comfort (amongst others includes heated seats) and Sports Packages (love the ///M wheel). Wish it had a 5 spd too but just finding a nice wagon with Sport was hard enough. Really is a nice family car if a little heavy on gas which matters little as day care is just a mile away! Otherwise it's been trouble free and came with new Michelins and so my out of pocket for the last 20 months has been low.

Bruce

PS deviating black carpets would have been a bonus as they are a bitch to keep clean!

Last edited by mickfluff; 02-19-2010 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:23 PM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

very nice video
Does anyone know whether that little teensy weensy spoiler on my heavy carrera S actually does anything meaningful at speeds under say about 140 mph
the spoiler is neat nonetheless, but I always kind of considered it just a showy feature of my car

Quick Reply: Spoiler in action