Spoiler in action

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 10:41 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fin Fever
very nice video
Does anyone know whether that little teensy weensy spoiler on my heavy carrera S actually does anything meaningful at speeds under say about 140 mph
the spoiler is neat nonetheless, but I always kind of considered it just a showy feature of my car
THAT'S the million dollar question for me too!

Would love to know what retractable spoilers and wings actually do. I know they do something but would love to see some "with" and "without" comps somehow (videos, data, expert testimony, whatever).

Yeah yeah, they provide downforce and stability, but when and under which conditions do downforces become an issue with different kids of driving. I'd like to indirectly "see and feel" this thing working.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:31 PM
beachview
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP, sorry if I missed it...but can you post some info on the camera used to shoot this film? Maybe some pictures of it if available?

Thanks
Old 02-18-2010, 11:47 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

This is how they really work:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9VsGjXkHeg
Old 02-19-2010, 12:28 AM
Sadiq
Pro

Originally Posted by mickfluff
I do understand how and why someone would suggest this. But how are you certain it does not help more then it hinders? ... the wing is OEM factory Porsche so we are sure it has been tested, wind tunneled etc etc... on a car very similar in design...Wings creates XXX amounts of down force at XXX speed. Wings seem to get bigger, wider, taller the more down force people are striving for as seen on the 997 (simple raise lid) vs. the turbo (wider dual wing blades), vs the gt3 (larger fixed dual blade) vs the gt3 RS (Big wing!) By NO means saying it helps but am saying if the car was wind tested (no need, my car will never being doing oval laps at XXX speed) I bet it has as much chance at adding then it does deterring performance. At the least any loss would be marginal. I would trust this wing over many of the aftermarket makers out there and if had to make a bet would suggest it would help more then hinder if wind tunnel tested.....that said it is a valid point....

A point yes, worth noting, yes....
sorry to bring it back to the ot post, but - while your wing is oem, i think youre forgetting that the front aero components are also part of the equation. That being said, i'm with you, i dont really drive 100 or over so i would make the same change :-P
Old 02-19-2010, 12:30 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Fin Fever
very nice video
Does anyone know whether that little teensy weensy spoiler on my heavy carrera S actually does anything meaningful at speeds under say about 140 mph
the spoiler is neat nonetheless, but I always kind of considered it just a showy feature of my car
Let me add my two cents here. I drove 911s for many years before Porsche came up with aero aids (e.g., the duck tail, whale tail, etc.). I lived in Europe for awhile with a new 911S and found out what floating is all about on an autobahn without aids. I hit 120 mph routinely and it was just plain scary. Do not for a moment think that those things do not work. Later, I owned a 911 with a Carrera RSR tail and I could quite easily see 160 mph with that car (turbo) and it stayed glued to the ground at such speeds. Check the warning within the manual. It reminds you to watch your speed when you get up in speed with a non-op spoiler. It is dangerous.

These deployable spoilers are designed for optimal deployment. They induce drag, in exchange for downforce. Porsche's testing has found that 75 mph is the right place to exchange drag for downforce. When I'm in wet conditions I actually manually intervene and put mine up a bit earlier.
Old 02-19-2010, 01:09 AM
johnd.211
AutoX

Default Deja Vu

Originally Posted by Bruce R
It's an '02 with 67k miles that I bough in '08. It has Premium (amongst others includes leather), Comfort (amongst others includes heated seats) and Sports Packages (love the ///M wheel). Wish it had a 5 spd too but just finding a nice wagon with Sport was hard enough. Really is a nice family car if a little heavy on gas which matters little as day care is just a mile away! Otherwise it's been trouble free and came with new Michelins and so my out of pocket for the last 20 months has been low.

Bruce

PS deviating black carpets would have been a bonus as they are a bitch to keep clean!
Wow! I have an '06 C2S and my wife has an '02 titanium silver 525iT with Premium and Sport packages. Almost like looking at my own driveway.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:41 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

nice, i can never see mine but i remember a friend after driving behind me after lunch told me after "dude your spoiler went up and down like 9 times in the last few miles... what the hell? i guess was some stop and go traffic.
Old 02-19-2010, 02:50 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Sounds like someone was exceeding 75 mph a lot and then slowing WAY down as well!

I have tested mine to 180 mph and know that it works just fine!
Old 02-19-2010, 02:54 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Sounds like someone was exceeding 75 mph a lot and then slowing WAY down as well!

I have tested mine to 180 mph and know that it works just fine!
love my florida roads/lenient police... nowhere else have i lived where i can hit 90 with ease just going around the corner to chick-fil-a .. nothing dangerous of course.. but just letting the car breathe,
Old 02-19-2010, 03:06 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Of course, I only speed legally--like on the autobahn!
Old 02-19-2010, 03:14 AM
Sadiq
Pro

haha i like that... "speeding legally." i also like phrases like "underage hooker" and "trespassing without permission"
Old 02-19-2010, 04:01 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

i always thought it was legal when: not caught, caught with good lawyer, or caught and good friends with DA. the autobahn is too far away.

i will say you have me beat on top speed, as my 997 has only seen 156 when there was no traffic on a 10 mile long policeless causeway.

gotta love the tampa bay area,

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...M_2000nov3.jpg
Old 02-19-2010, 04:02 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Sadiq
haha i like that... "speeding legally." i also like phrases like "underage hooker" and "trespassing without permission"
where do i find these underage hookers?
Old 02-19-2010, 07:07 AM
dD/dt
Racer

Awesome!

Very well done.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:33 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Hmmmm...for the better perhaps...

Yup and I am no Aero expert but have a feeling my altered ride height, rear wing and front chin spoiler help my cars overall Aerodynamics... oh and puts the car light years ahead in the "looks" department. Gotta love when people say they do not care about how their car looks. I concede, I do care. Overall tend to feel that the mods added to the overall aero of the car while enhancing looks.... but that's just my humble opinion. The car sure feels more planted while driving.

But your 100% right on this..... "toughest things to do and require knowledge and test equipment beyond the reach of most." and good point; agreed!

-disclosure - none PCCB's, Yellow P coated brakes there-

Originally Posted by ADias
Do you have any doubt that you have randomly changed the aero properties of your car? If you have not balanced the front, your car at speeds above 100 will be lighter in the front. Aero changes are the toughest things to do and require knowledge and test equipment beyond the reach of most. But... I know people mess up aero for looks only.
Attached Images   

Last edited by mickfluff; 02-19-2010 at 11:16 AM.

Quick Reply: Spoiler in action