Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DFI engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 06:30 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I wonder if the '10s are different really and how? Are the robots more experienced now after a year+ doing them? They fired the guys who were screwing up on the '09s? Are there different parts? Maybe. Maybe not. No flame intended, but the assumption that something is different seems to be as much of a guess as the possibility that nothing is different.

A flat tire, beyond simple puncture, in the middle of nowhere could be just as disruptive or more so - no limping to anywhere. It is the nature of machines to sometimes have failures.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:36 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by stevepow
I wonder if the '10s are different really and how? Are the robots more experienced now after a year+ doing them? They fired the guys who were screwing up on the '09s? Are there different parts? Maybe. Maybe not. No flame intended, but the assumption that something is different seems to be as much of a guess as the possibility that nothing is different.

A flat tire, beyond simple puncture, in the middle of nowhere could be just as disruptive or more so - no limping to anywhere. It is the nature of machines to sometimes have failures.
They are not different. Over a multi-year production run there are changes in parts manufacturing, assembly and software, but in the 997.2 these have been minor and for the most part retro-fittable if needed. The '09s have been remarkably solid and uneventful. The major issue that cropped up in some cars is the HPFP and that is easily resolved.
Old 02-15-2010, 06:57 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

If you look at part numbers throughout a life cycle of a car, they have revisions and updates as soon as faults are detected. Usually noted by adding letters at the end of the part# (A-B-C, etc...). Also, software is very key and is updated regularly, specially in this case for PDK tranny.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:27 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
They are not different. Over a multi-year production run there are changes in parts manufacturing, assembly and software, but in the 997.2 these have been minor and for the most part retro-fittable if needed. The '09s have been remarkably solid and uneventful. The major issue that cropped up in some cars is the HPFP and that is easily resolved.
We have the '09 997.2 and we've been trouble free for a little over fourteen thousand miles now. Not only have we not added oil since buying it at 11,000, but the garage floor is clean of even small drops. The HPFP hasn't stuttered and I don't expect it to.

I wouldn't bother to flame someone who prefers to wait for the next generation, but I will happily laugh when their next generation has its own set of new problems. As for being caught in the middle of nowhere, I had it happen with a 1970 Camaro a few hundred miles east of Beaumont Texas by coincidence. That was the small-block Chevy V-8 which I believe was introduced with the wide-body chariot the Romans used against the barbarians. Had it happen once with a Ford V-8 on the busiest freeway at the time, the Santa Monica, and had to coast our motorhome halfway up an offramp to keep from facing a mob of half a million commuters. Towed to local dealer who fixed it. He thought. Then it happened again fifty miles later. Details irrelevant, but it was the engine computer that failed, and that was the small-block Ford they've used for generations now in the pick-up truck that is the best selling vehicle in the world.

Screw the old wives' tales. Some cars break in any model run. Big deal. Find a reliable dealer to help you care for any car you buy.

Buy a 997.2 if you want a new P-car. You'll love it.

Gary
Old 02-15-2010, 07:30 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by alexb76
If you look at part numbers throughout a life cycle of a car, they have revisions and updates as soon as faults are detected. Usually noted by adding letters at the end of the part# (A-B-C, etc...). Also, software is very key and is updated regularly, specially in this case for PDK tranny.
Again, I think that is very generic and based on assumptions. And while you may be right in some cases, do you think a year model designation is the actual demarcation for any changes, significant or not?

I could just as easily imagine that a change made in August was bad and then corrected in October, but that more significant overall improvements occurred in June. At some point the the various possibilities, imagined or real, are not something we're going to be able to aim toward as buyers. Buy a post-June car, but not if it was August and on and on. And just as likely some change in the '10s might also turn out to be not so great - different supplier, bad run, etc.

I say enjoy the car, whatever year, and if something breaks, get it fixed - that's what the warranty is for. Avoid night travel in remote areas and have a "service" plan in mind before making a long trip, like where the dealerships are and where tires can be found.

I used to live in Beaumont - nice city.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:01 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a side note, my car burned oil during this trip. I made sure the oil level was correct and filled before leaving and upon arrival I was a little over 1/4 of a quart low. I think that it was bit much for a 600 mile trip. I didnt have any performance issues. I will just have to watch it closely until it get more miles on it. Reminds me of one of my 993s so i dont mind the history lesson.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:03 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BoxsterG
On a side note, my car burned oil during this trip. I made sure the oil level was correct and filled before leaving and upon arrival I was a little over 1/4 of a quart low. I think that it was bit much for a 600 mile trip. I didnt have any performance issues. I will just have to watch it closely until it get more miles on it. Reminds me of one of my 993s so i dont mind the history lesson.
Please report what was wrong with it after you get it back.
Old 02-15-2010, 09:13 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Again, I think that is very generic and based on assumptions. And while you may be right in some cases, do you think a year model designation is the actual demarcation for any changes, significant or not?

I could just as easily imagine that a change made in August was bad and then corrected in October, but that more significant overall improvements occurred in June. At some point the the various possibilities, imagined or real, are not something we're going to be able to aim toward as buyers. Buy a post-June car, but not if it was August and on and on. And just as likely some change in the '10s might also turn out to be not so great - different supplier, bad run, etc.

I say enjoy the car, whatever year, and if something breaks, get it fixed - that's what the warranty is for. Avoid night travel in remote areas and have a "service" plan in mind before making a long trip, like where the dealerships are and where tires can be found.

I used to live in Beaumont - nice city.
I feel like I am banging my head against the wall!!!

Ofcourse whoever bought a 2009, would not agree with me, and in most cases cars are totally trouble free, and they'd claim, BUT MINE IS FINE... ofcourse! if all newly released Porsches had major issues, Porsche would be out of business by now! These are greatly engineered products that go through a lot of testing.

The fact still remains, in all engineered products including cars, unless tested out in mass numbers and in real life by different people, those smaller flaws won't be detected. This was true for 997.1 earlier cars, BMW e46 M3, B5 Audi S4, earlier Boxsters, and more (these are the ones I personally know of).

I am done debating this, as it's so night and day. I am not saying that 2009 model is NOT reliable, but I am 100% certain that a 2010/2011 C2S is more reliable than the earlier models as kinks are figured out and fixed.

I hope the OP trouble is fixed soon!
Old 02-15-2010, 09:33 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

[...] I am done debating this, as it's so night and day. I am not saying that 2009 model is NOT reliable, but I am 100% certain that a 2010/2011 C2S is more reliable than the earlier models as kinks are figured out and fixed.
Well, yes, but you're wrong. That's we keep trying to explain politely why. I do realize we're pitting nothing more than a hundred-plus years of engineering experience against a well-established old wives' tale, so I don't expect to change anyone's mind. But every time you say it, it goes into an archive, so we owe it people considering Porsches to give them the facts of the issue. Every time you say it.

Gary
Old 02-15-2010, 09:57 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by BoxsterG
Do not be too hasty adding oil. 1/4 of a quart of oil is very little. Do several measurements before adding up. It's better to have oil below the max than overfilled.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:15 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 572 Posts

!
Ever stop to think that maybe YOU have a hard head.

Your point is duly noted - although I personally didnt worry too much when I bought my 2009. If this was a Spyker or a Tesla - maybe. But Porsche is a little more engineered and better tested. Plus a 997.2 is not exactly a brand new 911 if you know what I'm saying.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:17 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 843 Likes on 572 Posts

Very good point - although rumor has it that they upgraded the robots for 2010 with more whirrs and beeps. Apart from that, not much is different from 2009 to 2010. Except for maybe SW?
Old 02-15-2010, 11:20 PM
savyboy
Drifting

Originally Posted by simsgw
Well, yes, but you're wrong. That's we keep trying to explain politely why. I do realize we're pitting nothing more than a hundred-plus years of engineering experience against a well-established old wives' tale, so I don't expect to change anyone's mind. But every time you say it, it goes into an archive, so we owe it people considering Porsches to give them the facts of the issue. Every time you say it.

Gary
I hope we have the opportunity to meet sometime in real-life. A well spoken, level-headed man you are, and I would be proud to make your acquaintance.

And you as well Mr. Stevepow.

Now, can we get on discussing the correct break-in procedure, Red vs PCCB "breaks" and looking at the latest 20" wheels from South Florida suppliers? lol...
Old 02-16-2010, 12:12 AM
savyboy
Drifting

Oh- this has absolutely NOTHING to do with this thread, but is fun to look at! Ha...

Took the Cayenne out to the desert yesterday to explore prehistoric rock shelters. Had the little rascal balanced on 2 wheels a few times. Fantastic off-road vehicle. I was able to rock it RF to LR with one finger in these shots. My wife didn't much care for that...lol
Attached Images   
Old 02-16-2010, 12:50 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by savyboy
I hope we have the opportunity to meet [simsgw] sometime in real-life. A well spoken, level-headed man you are, and I would be proud to make your acquaintance.

And you as well Mr. Stevepow.

Indeed!

Quick Reply: DFI engine issues