Sponsored by:

DFI engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 12:45 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
ok that settles it. I'm going the long route when doing my errands. Burn that water, burn baby

yes Steve, the beloved e39 M5. One of Bimmer's best.
My most moronic car blunder ever; selling that e39 M5 - I figured they'd just keep getting better. Upside I reckon is that it pushed me into a 911, but I'm still wounded over it.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:26 PM
aggie57
Rennlist Member

Received 2,838 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Well guys, I don't know. My car is one of the oil users. I 've used a fair bit of oil, probably 4-5 litres in just over 8000 kms. Most of my running is around town with some trips and the odd track day thrown in but my impression is that it mainly uses oil around town. I always check it before and after a trip or a track day and I don't recall having to top it up after....go figure!

Steve - the build date on mine is September 2008. No fuel pump issues. Just starts and runs like a good Porsche should.
Old 02-17-2010, 04:49 PM
JmanCLS55
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 09 C4S had issue at 2200 miles related to the PCM (it reboots itself continuously, brought it into the dealership and they replaced it with a brand new one), car has ~ 11K miles now and NO ISSUE at all. My 09 C2S cab has ~2400 miles and NO ISSUE what so ever.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:35 PM
SKYKING
Advanced

Simsgw, I also fly and am well aware of testing (draining/viewing) the fuel before each flight. It is very easy to see it in the fuel but unless you analize the oil, like Macstr writes, you really don't know the amount of water/fuel in it.
Most aircraft owners have their oil analyzed at each oil change to verify what is in the oil. If excess water or oil is in it then you start doing things different on engine operation and maintenance.
I have the oil analyzed, at each change, on each vehicle I own, to track what is happening. I also always get the OIL up to operating temps to help get rid of any condensation/fuel that may develop during engine warm up. There are times on very short trips I will go many miles out of my way to make sure the OIL us up to temp. I also change my oil at 5,000 miles and/or twice a year, before storage, if the mileage is shorter.
Old 02-18-2010, 09:38 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SKYKING
Simsgw, I also fly and am well aware of testing (draining/viewing) the fuel before each flight. It is very easy to see it in the fuel but unless you analize the oil, like Macstr writes, you really don't know the amount of water/fuel in it.
Most aircraft owners have their oil analyzed at each oil change to verify what is in the oil. If excess water or oil is in it then you start doing things different on engine operation and maintenance.
I have the oil analyzed, at each change, on each vehicle I own, to track what is happening. I also always get the OIL up to operating temps to help get rid of any condensation/fuel that may develop during engine warm up. There are times on very short trips I will go many miles out of my way to make sure the OIL us up to temp. I also change my oil at 5,000 miles and/or twice a year, before storage, if the mileage is shorter.
Me too, to all of that. That's why I've never been in the situation of my car having a chance to accumulate unevaporated water to the extent described. I didn't want to sound like it was the fault of such drivers though. Some people use their cars in constrained urban environments that I suppose can force that on you.

Oil is very hygroscopic though. If opportunity is given for water to accumulate it certainly will. I just never thought about using a Porsche that way myself.

Gary
Old 02-18-2010, 09:59 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was notified today that the part was not available and will be sent from germany so I may not get my car back until next week. Given the number of cars to have experienced this issue in the US, I would have expected that this part was available. Nonetheles, there isnt anthing that i can do about it right now.
We will see what happens soon.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:56 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 395 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by BoxsterG
I was notified today that the part was not available and will be sent from germany so I may not get my car back until next week. Given the number of cars to have experienced this issue in the US, I would have expected that this part was available. Nonetheles, there isnt anthing that i can do about it right now.
We will see what happens soon.
That may be an indication that it is a rare occurrence. Please let us know the car's build date when you have a chance.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:08 AM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

My car is a 3/09 build and the HPFP failed <1000 miles.
Old 02-19-2010, 11:14 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

SHould we start a thread "report any HPFP issues here" ???
Old 02-19-2010, 10:19 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

80 post thread from one year ago.

HPFP
Old 02-20-2010, 03:16 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I guess I've been really lucky. No DFI issues, no PDK issues, etc. I'm at 10500 miles including a 4000-mile cross-country trip.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:29 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
I guess I've been really lucky. No DFI issues, no PDK issues, etc. I'm at 10500 miles including a 4000-mile cross-country trip.
Chrs,

If I recall you had a check engine light interrupt your trip but it was a cross threaded fuel cap correct?
Old 02-22-2010, 07:28 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BoxsterG
Chrs,

If I recall you had a check engine light interrupt your trip but it was a cross threaded fuel cap correct?
Yeah it was nothing. I just didn't do the steps to reset it after I re-tightened the fuel filler cap.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:19 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

I finally got my car back today and it is running fine at this time. I only drove it home so I will see when I get a chance to put in on the road again.
My car was built as it was built 01/09. Maybe that is why I had a bad fuel pump. It seems like the earlier builds have the bad HPFP.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:07 AM
Justin Lee
4th Gear

Having problems with my Cayman S now..I suspect its the high pressure fuel pump It takes a few cranks to start the engine now..And when driving down to the garage to get it checked, it was offbeat for a while..The car started to jerk and there was no power! Fuel starvation maybe?? But the fuel level is 3/4 though..When finally reached my local garage, the PIWIS tester showed 3 faults on the DME.

1.)P0441 - Tank Vent System

2.)P1024 - Fuel High Pressure Too High After Engine Off

3.)P1023 - Fuel Pressure / Fuel Volume Too Low At Start

The technicians are currently checking on it, and will inform me once they are done with their diagnosis.

Got a really bad feeling its the HPFP though..

Quick Reply: DFI engine issues