Sponsored by:

DFI engine issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 02:17 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Justin Lee
Having problems with my Cayman S now..I suspect its the high pressure fuel pump It takes a few cranks to start the engine now..And when driving down to the garage to get it checked, it was offbeat for a while..The car started to jerk and there was no power! Fuel starvation maybe?? But the fuel level is 3/4 though..When finally reached my local garage, the PIWIS tester showed 3 faults on the DME.

1.)P0441 - Tank Vent System

2.)P1024 - Fuel High Pressure Too High After Engine Off

3.)P1023 - Fuel Pressure / Fuel Volume Too Low At Start

The technicians are currently checking on it, and will inform me once they are done with their diagnosis.

Got a really bad feeling its the HPFP though..
Hasn't your dealer contacted you by now? PCNA replaced certain VIN HPFP even without symptoms with a "service campaign"... The new pumps should have resolved the issue.
Old 11-17-2011, 03:01 AM
Justin Lee
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Hasn't your dealer contacted you by now? PCNA replaced certain VIN HPFP even without symptoms with a "service campaign"... The new pumps should have resolved the issue.
Nope the workshop hasn't contacted me yet..Its not at a Porsche Dealer btw..Bought my car as a grey import so no warranty offered by Porsche Malaysia
Old 11-17-2011, 07:33 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
The new pumps may not solve the problem. BMW continues to hae problems. mT HPFP on my 535 was rplaced as part of their campaign at 5O K miles and the new one now take longer to start and makes fluxuating noises at idle.

HPFPs are the future but today, they are not ready for prime time.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:13 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo
ok that settles it. I'm going the long route when doing my errands. Burn that water, burn baby

yes Steve, the beloved e39 M5. One of Bimmer's best.
YES! Another justified excuse to drive all around the place to get to a close location. Fantastic!
The following users liked this post:
Goldenappple (04-26-2022)
Old 11-17-2011, 05:20 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
The new pumps may not solve the problem. BMW continues to hae problems. mT HPFP on my 535 was rplaced as part of their campaign at 5O K miles and the new one now take longer to start and makes fluxuating noises at idle.

HPFPs are the future but today, they are not ready for prime time.
Nonsense. My car worked fine before and works fine since they replaced that pump. The only 'problem' was deciding what to order for lunch at the country club where they dropped me off while they did the work.

Trade up to a dot two. You won't regret it.

Gary
Old 11-17-2011, 11:11 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw
Nonsense. My car worked fine before and works fine since they replaced that pump. The only 'problem' was deciding what to order for lunch at the country club where they dropped me off while they did the work.

Trade up to a dot two. You won't regret it.

Gary
Your's is simply one car. Many folks continue to have problems with HPFPs.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:40 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 583 Posts

You keep on about this. Not my experience at all. Some pumps failed, they were replaced under warranty, recall. What's the issue? You have an IMS, I guess I'll take my chances with a HPFP. Much less an issue if it fails vs. an IMS issue.

I have had no FP issues before or after I replaced it.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:59 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

And many more people don't. Many, some, few; as with the complaints about IMS failures, excessive oil consumption, etc etc, it's all non-specific, anecdotal, internet BS unless there are hard numbers and percentages attached. Your BMW has had issues, my Cayenne and Carrera have had none; neither of our experiences proves the case. As an engineer it's difficult to keep hearing people make definitive claims based on non-definitive information.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:52 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Yes, certainly. But I'm talking about Porsches, not all the other makes trying to get into direct injection on the cheap or perhaps with other goals that interfere with getting it right. It really is starting to sound like sour grapes when owners of dot ones keep talking about all the people having trouble with their 997.2, although we owners keep saying we do not.

Gary
Old 11-18-2011, 09:12 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my HPFP replaced once on my car and have not had any further issues with my car since. In fact, I really dont see many issues with the 997.2's as I think I did with the 997.1's. Most people that had the HPFP replaced have not had any further issues with it. You cant compare apples ( Porsches) to oranges (BMW's) and expect the same result. It was my understanding that Porsche had the HPFP issues sorted out long ago ater they had the pump modified to correct the issue.
Either way I have enjoyed the 997.2 as much as the 997.1 and will likely move into the 991 at some point.
Old 11-19-2011, 01:38 AM
brendo
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

12k miles and no issues with my .2, FWIW

I hope I didn't just jinx myself

PS. I have plenty of other problems, just not with the car :-)
Old 11-19-2011, 10:28 AM
pilfjd
Rennlist Member

Had my HPFP replaced under the campaign, too. Had about 10k miles at the time of replacement. Previous HPFP gave me no problems. Engine would start within 1 second of cranking. Now, with the new HPFP, about 5% of all my starts, it would take about 2-3 seconds of cranking before the engine would start. Keeping an eye on the issue, but so far so good.
Old 01-30-2012, 09:34 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

I thought I would post this here since this is the DFI engine issues thread:
Yesterday I was going to brunch and I had a check engine light come on. I was driving about 60 MPH and had not exceeded that speed. I pulled over immediately and stopped. I noticed some smoke at the back of the car and killed the engine as I didn't want to do further damage. I got out and looked in the engine bay and could smell a lot of fuel but none was leaking on the ground. It also smelled quite loud inside the cabin for a while. The car was running rougher than normal but not ragged. I had it flatbedded to the dealer and then went over to the dealer today. They initially thought it was the HPFP but they were running diagnostics and the tech was out to lunch so I waited on a callback.
I was told the issue is a bad fuel injector but I didnt have time to discuss in detail of what or why this may have occurred. I also would like the codes to see what the result is.

Is this something others are experiencing with fuel injector as I didnt see much on the site specifically pointing to only a fuel injector?
It seems odd that I would have a faulty injector but could be possible.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:31 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BoxsterG
I thought I would post this here since this is the DFI engine issues thread:
Yesterday I was going to brunch and I had a check engine light come on. I was driving about 60 MPH and had not exceeded that speed. I pulled over immediately and stopped. I noticed some smoke at the back of the car and killed the engine as I didn't want to do further damage. I got out and looked in the engine bay and could smell a lot of fuel but none was leaking on the ground. It also smelled quite loud inside the cabin for a while. The car was running rougher than normal but not ragged. I had it flatbedded to the dealer and then went over to the dealer today. They initially thought it was the HPFP but they were running diagnostics and the tech was out to lunch so I waited on a callback.
I was told the issue is a bad fuel injector but I didnt have time to discuss in detail of what or why this may have occurred. I also would like the codes to see what the result is.

Is this something others are experiencing with fuel injector as I didnt see much on the site specifically pointing to only a fuel injector?
It seems odd that I would have a faulty injector but could be possible.
I don't recall anyone mentioning it, but it's like having a bad spark plug. Just one of those things. Nothing to worry about. At least, not if the warranty is paying for it. Otherwise you may get a quick annoying lesson in how expensive direct injectors can be.

Gary
Old 01-31-2012, 03:33 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 736 Posts

11,400 miles on the car. HPFP replaced under applicable "campaign". No problems with the old pump or the new one. Thought the car was using oil but finally got a good benchmark. At the rate I'm going it looks like about a quart per 2,500 miles. That's better than my -06 C4S which was pretty steady at 2,000 miles per quart over almost 45,000 miles.

Quick Reply: DFI engine issues