Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wiper blade replacement - Valeo OE? anyone tried?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 04:34 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Wiper blade replacement - Valeo OE? anyone tried?

I am looking for wiper blade replacements for my 07 C4S... was looking at some Valeos on tirerack, anyone has tried them before? any impressions?

http://www.tirerack.com/wipers/detai...oModClar=Coupe

If not these? what else is recommended? blade inserts? any new Bosch stuff?
Old 11-23-2009, 01:13 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 352 Likes on 183 Posts

I did some research a couple of years ago. The info I received at the time informed me that any aftermarket blades would not make contact with the windshield 100% of the time. I can't remember the details of what part of the windshield. Ultimately I went with the overpriced OEM wipers. They work well, but nothing special about them other than they do contact the windshield throughout the entire sweep.
Old 11-23-2009, 01:17 PM
sharmat
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Isn't Bosch the OEM for the wipers? Wont a set of those from the local auto parts store do? Still not cheap at $22-25 a pop.
Old 11-23-2009, 02:40 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by sharmat
Isn't Bosch the OEM for the wipers? Wont a set of those from the local auto parts store do? Still not cheap at $22-25 a pop.
I just put a set of those on my Titan. They are excellent. Worth the money. They look like the Valeo's.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:13 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

We have had outstanding luck with Valeo's overall. I'm into my second year with a set with probably two alcohol cleanings. They work fine. My favorites are the PIAA Super Silicone because they seen to handle our ice here better. If they were hingeless like the Valeo we would be all set! The only issue I find with the Valeo is if you lift and drop the blade to clear snow from them they sometimes could break the plastic end of the blade. Otherwise they both work great and last a long time if cared for properly.
Old 11-23-2009, 03:51 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
We have had outstanding luck with Valeo's overall. I'm into my second year with a set with probably two alcohol cleanings. They work fine. My favorites are the PIAA Super Silicone because they seen to handle our ice here better. If they were hingeless like the Valeo we would be all set! The only issue I find with the Valeo is if you lift and drop the blade to clear snow from them they sometimes could break the plastic end of the blade. Otherwise they both work great and last a long time if cared for properly.
So the Valeo's will maintain contact all the way to the edge of the blade on the passenger side of the 997? Some aftermarket wiper blades won't because of the curvature of the windshield.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:29 PM
smoove
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put on some Valeos on my C4 a couple of weeks ago and I am happy with them so far. As far as I can tell, they make contact with the entire windshield when wiping although I'm not 100% sure the passenger side blade maintains contact at the tip when in the rest (off) position - it did not make full contact when I first put them on but they may have curved a bit by now. I'll check and report back.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:33 PM
nosubt2
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I live in Florida with a summer of rain, rain, and rain. I put ont the Bosch ICON wipers. They are fantastic.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:25 PM
CarGuy21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by damon@tirerack.com
+2 on the PIAAs. I have them on the two cars I drive and really like them.
Old 11-23-2009, 05:27 PM
pete95zhn
Former Vendor

Received 108 Likes on 62 Posts

I've had Valeos on my 996 for a month now. So far they've been working well.
Old 11-23-2009, 07:22 PM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

If you plan on driving them through the ice & snow......may want to ask around.

I considered the change a while back, opted for the PIAA SS.....at the time I believe there were some comments about their winter performance not being ideal......but don't take it from me......they could've been wrong.
Old 11-23-2009, 10:36 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Valeo and Bosch are the two major suppliers of OEM windshield wipers and wiper systems for auto ( EU and NAFTA) companies. I would consider them to be of equal quality.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:17 AM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
Valeo and Bosch are the two major suppliers of OEM windshield wipers and wiper systems for auto ( EU and NAFTA) companies. I would consider them to be of equal quality.
Agreed. So, is there a Bosch equivalent? I like the hingless look of these... I think the 997.2 have the hingless too, but not 100% sure.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:04 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been doing the following for years on all my windshields/wipers, and it worked perfectly so far.

Every year before the rain season, I would get a clay bar kit (e.g. the Turtle Wax Clay Bar Kit available in local auto parts store) and clay bar the front windshield.

And then I would drop by to my local dealer to purchase a new set of OEM wiper blade insert (yes, the OEM inserts are fine. The key is to replace once a year since they are wear and tear items.) Usually the guys at the dealer would even install them for free at the spot.

I would also refill the windshield fluid reservoir with OEM fluid (use the Summer or Winter solution, accordingly.)

And then during the rain season when I used the wiper, every now-and-then I would operate the wiper fluid and let it sprayed on the windshield to clean the dirt accumulated on it. (in my Mercedes, it would even do it automatically in every many wiper swipes.)

These would give me a good year of squeak-free wiper operation.

Just want to share my experience, give it a try.

With best regards,

Last edited by axhoaxho; 11-24-2009 at 04:20 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 11:57 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got some of the Rain-X Latitude Wiper Blades for my truck, they were recommened over the Bosch ICON by the parts store who carried both. I go through 2-3 sets of blades a season out here in Mass, my truck lives outside and makes lots of trips to Killington in the winter. I will report back on how long they lasted.

Quick Reply: Wiper blade replacement - Valeo OE? anyone tried?