Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK updates....

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 10:15 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 861 Likes on 587 Posts

Mine does have a little abrupt shift from 2nd to 1st in Sport as it changes to 1st before you really stop. I wouldn't say its a clunk by any stretch. In regular "auto" its almost like a Lexus as it only changes to 1st when the car is completely at a stop. In sport it goes into 1st earlier. Sometimes it feels a little jerky if you arent taking off right away (aggresively).
Old 09-26-2009, 10:28 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't think "clunking or jerking" is what people are experiencing - at least not me. It is simply an abrupt downshift into 1st with what amounts to engine braking, which can seem harsh. I don't think most people in MTs and especially in ATs come to a stop like that. In an MT, I almost never shift to 1st until the car has come to a stop or at least I don't release the clutch in 1st when stopping. That is how Normal mode behaves, but Sport shifts to all gears, even 1st, at the "appropriate" time to maintain power.

If anyone is experiencing something more than a downshift to 1st - and the seemingly abrupt engine braking, then there's probably some other issue.

Otherwise I think it is by design - unlikely an oversight - and any fix would involve a re-thinking of the designed behavior. After 24 years of German cars and 10 years working with German software companies, I'm not holding my breath for that.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:27 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stevepow
I don't think "clunking or jerking" is what people are experiencing - at least not me. It is simply an abrupt downshift into 1st with what amounts to engine braking, which can seem harsh. I don't think most people in MTs and especially in ATs come to a stop like that. In an MT, I almost never shift to 1st until the car has come to a stop or at least I don't release the clutch in 1st when stopping. That is how Normal mode behaves, but Sport shifts to all gears, even 1st, at the "appropriate" time to maintain power.

If anyone is experiencing something more than a downshift to 1st - and the seemingly abrupt engine braking, then there's probably some other issue.

Otherwise I think it is by design - unlikely an oversight - and any fix would involve a re-thinking of the designed behavior. After 24 years of German cars and 10 years working with German software companies, I'm not holding my breath for that.
Spot on. Thats a great summation. I think Sport gets you into first a little sooner so that you are in the right gear should you need it. If you dont want the engine braking (slight jerk) - dont have sport on.
Old 09-27-2009, 12:26 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yep, whatever you want to call it, no jerking, no abrupt downshift... Maybe I'm doing it correctly???
Old 09-27-2009, 12:36 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Yep, whatever you want to call it, no jerking, no abrupt downshift... Maybe I'm doing it correctly???
Does your car shift into 1st, fully engaged, before it comes to a complete halt? All fluff aside, that's the question.
Old 09-28-2009, 10:56 PM
canuckporsche
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Yes, mine shifts into 1st before I come to a stop.
Old 09-28-2009, 11:38 PM
Bola964
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine too. And mine is a 2010. Built 6/09, so they had about a year to fix it at the factory.....
What I feel is as the car downshifts, the revs go up, so there's where I feel the jerking......
Old 09-30-2009, 12:37 AM
rsdarcan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

here is the only tsb anyone has found
TSB: "WM 373025 ELIMINATING TRANSMISSION SYMPTOMS--RE-PROGRAMMING DME CONTROL UNIT AND PDK CONTROL UNIT (VEHICLE JERKING WHEN CHANGING GEAR)." The TSB was introduced on Sept. 5, 2008.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:59 AM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If my car build date is Sept 2008 I wonder if it was corrected on the production line ???
Old 09-30-2009, 08:16 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Does your car shift into 1st, fully engaged, before it comes to a complete halt? All fluff aside, that's the question.
It shifts into first just after coming to a stop. I usually have to manually shift it into first if I'm doing a "yield stop"... That said, I generally manually shift it into first at less than 10 mph.
Old 10-01-2009, 02:20 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
It shifts into first just after coming to a stop. I usually have to manually shift it into first if I'm doing a "yield stop"... That said, I generally manually shift it into first at less than 10 mph.
Hmm - how strange or how normal - not sure which. Definitely different from my car which always goes into 1st before I stop (in Sport Auto) - unless I do a panic stop. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:22 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Hmm - how strange or how normal - not sure which. Definitely different from my car which always goes into 1st before I stop (in Sport Auto) - unless I do a panic stop. Thanks for the info.
Mine also shifts into 1st before coming to a stop in Sport Auto - and i think the engine braking makes a little jerk (i'd suspect you'd get the same jerkiness in a manual if you didnt apply a little gas when you released the clutch).. Not sure how a PDK update will solve this unless in Sport Auto it only shifted into 1st when it stopped. Which is what it does in non-sport.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:29 PM
JSeven
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car shifts to 1 just before it stops in SP.

J.Seven

Quick Reply: PDK updates....