Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK updates....

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 12:01 AM
canuckporsche
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

My car is May production so the March date is irrelevant.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:13 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Voila! - or at least french fries.

Thanks.

Although the Windows analogy is a bit off as every Win update has a KB number and explanation.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:19 PM
greenpdk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DRJMK
ok...found it...

So this is what my Master Tech Jim McFarland said:

"It's NOT a P-TECH, recall or open claim issue. PAG/PCNA downloads the latest version of software in to our system, and when we hook it up to the car it either takes it (the download) or not. Think of it as an update you recieve for windows. Your system either had the latest version or not."

So my guess is; becase Porsche does not offer any cut off dates; if you have an earlier PDK, tell them *your dealer* to hook it up and see if it takes it.

Good luck.

(In this scenario, Dr. Kerns car was build in December of 08, for reference).
If it is just the latest version of the system software, do you know what the version is? I would like to confirm with my dealer that they have it. When I ask them to update my software they just tell me it is up to date. My car was manufactured in Sept. of 08 and has not had any update yet.
Old 09-22-2009, 02:28 AM
modoz61
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My CS recently experienced the same problems as SeamusC4S with jerking at low revs.

When I was caught in slow moving traffic the car would slide easily up to second gear and when braking and the car was to change down the engine actually increased revs momentarily almost like a throttle blip but 1st gear was already engaged and the car would lurch forward.

I got around it by shifting to neutral each time I was slowing to avoid nudging someone in front.

When I took it to the dealer they said they did an software upgrade that had to do with the engine mapping but in particular with the PDK interface so this may be the "fabled" PDK upgrade.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:01 PM
greenpdk
Advanced

My wife has a new 09 Boxster with pdk. The upshifting is so smooth in auto, you would be hard pressed to even tell when the shifts occur. My 911 CS2 2009 pdk is not even close as far as the smoothness. In my car at slow speeds you can feel every upshift. Sometimes you get a clunking sound. The downshifts in sport mode 3 to 2 and 2 to 1 are the worst. Should I be expecting the same performance as the Boxster in a car that was almost 1/2 the price? My car was manufactured 7/08 and the Boxster was 1/09.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:29 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by greenpdk
My wife has a new 09 Boxster with pdk. The upshifting is so smooth in auto, you would be hard pressed to even tell when the shifts occur. My 911 CS2 2009 pdk is not even close as far as the smoothness. In my car at slow speeds you can feel every upshift. Sometimes you get a clunking sound. The downshifts in sport mode 3 to 2 and 2 to 1 are the worst. Should I be expecting the same performance as the Boxster in a car that was almost 1/2 the price? My car was manufactured 7/08 and the Boxster was 1/09.
Was yours one of the Green "Launch" cars? Do you think it might have gotten some abuse early on? My PDK shifts are almost imperceptible - even in Sport they are incredibly smooth - built 12/08.

I think you should have it checked out.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:22 PM
greenpdk
Advanced

It was one of the green launch cars and had about 100 miles on it. The report the dealer gave me was that there were only about 600 range one ignitions. Nothing above that. Does anyone no if the dme report will show if and how many times the car was launched? If so, where on the report can I find that information? The car now has about 2200 miles.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:09 AM
canuckporsche
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Why has all the discussion on the rough downshifting gone silent? Where are those that infered they had the problem and got it fixed? Those of us still with the problem need evidence of a solution.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:27 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

^

They got "shouted down" by those claiming there was no update.

I took delivery of my May 31st, and the Dealer did all the software upgrades.

Buy your service manager lunch and have him run the latest "software" revisions, even if he claims that he doesn't know what they do!
Old 09-25-2009, 01:23 PM
mstams
Racer

Originally Posted by rsdarcan
They are doing mine next Thursday! My Service Rep told me it was a Campaign! I guess thats a yes!
Any information back yet?
Old 09-25-2009, 01:54 PM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Mine is a Sep 08 build and works fine. My big worry is how to keep the dealer from doing any updates that will screw it up.
Old 09-25-2009, 03:33 PM
greenpdk
Advanced

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
Mine is a Sep 08 build and works fine. My big worry is how to keep the dealer from doing any updates that will screw it up.
Just curious. Red Horse, you say that yours is fine--Can you feel the pdk shifting in auto at lower speeds? Any noise at all? Do you get any jerking when in auto- sport mode and down shifting from 2 to 1? I ask because mine does this and my wife's Boxster with pdk is smooth as glass.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:19 AM
RED HORSE
Race Car

Received 129 Likes on 71 Posts

Just curious. Red Horse, you say that yours is fine--Can you feel the pdk shifting in auto at lower speeds? Any noise at all? Do you get any jerking when in auto- sport mode and down shifting from 2 to 1? I ask because mine does this and my wife's Boxster with pdk is smooth as glass.
In auto the shifting is fine, in my opinion. I drive mostly in manual sport but when stopping I let the transmission shift to 1st on its own and there is no clunking or jerking at all.
Old 09-26-2009, 01:35 AM
echere88
Advanced

Mine is Feb 09 built C2S. If you are really picky and pay attention when driving, I agree with what you describe. My C2S is just like yours. I can feel the pdk shifting in auto at lower speeds with little noise. And when in sport auto mode, it is a little rough when down shifting from 2 to 1. That's reason I don't really drive the car in the traffic. I think maybe this is normal for pdk cars. The car is designed to be driven spiritly, not crawl in the highway traffic.

But, if there is really a "fix" for this, I certainly will want to get the "pdk update".
Old 09-26-2009, 09:49 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RED HORSE
In auto the shifting is fine, in my opinion. I drive mostly in manual sport but when stopping I let the transmission shift to 1st on its own and there is no clunking or jerking at all.
I am usually in the same boat, but after this thread, I tested manually shifting from 2nd to 1st in Sport manual (at around 10 mph or less). I don't get any clunking, any noises, nada. My PDK shifts great in every mode, whether manual or auto. Sport Plus feels very hard on the transmission, so I've only used it once on the track.

Quick Reply: PDK updates....