Sponsored by:

PDK updates....

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 12:44 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default PDK updates....

when i bought my car about 40 days ago i asked if they did the pdk update and they said yes,

i saw a gentlemans post about his PDK and he said when they updated his car shifted into 7th @ 53mph instead of 47mph...

my car shifts into 7th at 47mph.

do i not have the update, or is that not the actual numbers for pre/post update?

any way of finding out if update uploaded besides driving 50 minutes to porsche?
Old 09-10-2009, 12:46 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

also as far as HPFP is there a way for them to check/test if its failing? my car sometimes takes up to 7-8 seconds to start, but i have no full throttle delays while driving.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:30 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The PDK update is some kind of urban legend, 2 dealers have told me there is no such update.
There was a service update on my exhaust, which they did order parts and fix.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:50 AM
Haku
Rennlist Member

Received 419 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by todd.
The PDK update is some kind of urban legend, 2 dealers have told me there is no such update.
Exactly what I was told.
Old 09-10-2009, 02:48 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

what was the update for the exhaust?
Old 09-10-2009, 03:49 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

You may elect to believe what some dealers say or know the truth and update your car's PDK software module. Your choice.
Old 09-10-2009, 05:20 AM
Bijan
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rijowysock, the muffler issue:
http://www.awe-tuning.com/media/pdf/...er%20Clamp.pdf
Old 09-10-2009, 09:46 AM
JohnAMG
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bijan
Those are the clamps I loosen up slightly for the bypass pipes to eliminate the vibration.

John
Old 09-10-2009, 11:09 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
You may elect to believe what some dealers say or know the truth and update your car's PDK software module. Your choice.
If there's an update I want the damn thing, even went to another dealer in search of this PDK update. I grilled both service departments about the update and both told me there is absolutely no update for the PDK. I just got off the phone with a 3rd dealer I bought 4 Porsches from, and their Service Manager was unaware of such an update too, but since he got a call from another customer yesterday about it, he's looking into it further and will call me back.

I believe 3 Porsche dealerships by choice over a forum.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

If there's an update I want the damn thing, even went to another dealer in search of this PDK update. I grilled both service departments about the update and both told me there is absolutely no update for the PDK. I just got off the phone with a 3rd dealer I bought 4 Porsches from, and their Service Manager was unaware of such an update too, but since he got a call from another customer yesterday about it, he's looking into it further and will call me back.

I believe 3 Porsche dealerships by choice over a forum.
Exactly... If the PDK update is real why is it NO Porsche dealer (I've checked here in the DC area and when I was out in SoCal and NorCal) knows about it?

When I took my car in, they performed the only open service campaigns - one was for the exhaust, the other for something else (very minor). I asked about the HPFP - got a bunch of blank looks on that one, too. I'd think we'd be hearing about it if it were happening...
Old 09-10-2009, 11:48 AM
SeamusC4S
Rennlist Member

There is definitely an PDK update because I just had it done on my 2009 C4S that I purchased in May 09. In June after reading info on this forum about PDK updates, I called my dealer and I was told that I had the most current software. In July, I called again because when in sport mode, in 1st gear, right before the car came to a complete stop, it would jerk really hard. They did some research and found that I needed a PDK update. The PDK was updated on 8/19, along with recall campaign (clamps). PDK update worked and has resolved the jerking problem. I will scan a copy of my work order and post it here tomorrow. Might help if you show your dealership that others are performing the update.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:25 PM
greenpdk
Advanced

I got the same "no update" response from my dealer. Thanks in advance for posting the copy of your work order. I will be taking my car in as soon as possible. The jerk from second to first in sport mode is very annoying.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:07 PM
mstams
Racer

I think the issue is that the PDK update is not part of any official technical service bulletin or campaign. This makes it hard to impossible for the dealers to know about it. However, it is out there. I got the same reaction from my local dealer, but I pushed the issue. They checked with Atlanta and eventually applied the update to my car. I can check my work order as well.

However, while the update did immediately smooth out the shifting at low speeds in regular auto mode to some degree, I still had the harsh jerk from 2-1 when coming to a stop in sport auto mode that I was hoping it would resolve. I have noticed this improving lately for some strange reason -- my guess is adapting from me driving in manual mode most of the time now and driving the car much harder in general since getting out of my break-in period.

Also, I got the transmission emergency run error about a week after the software was updated. Not sure if related or just a coincidence. DME control module was replaced for this due to communication issues with the DFI.

Hope this information helps...
Old 09-10-2009, 01:10 PM
mstams
Racer

Originally Posted by Haku
Exactly what I was told.
We have the same dealer. Did you ask Billy?
Old 09-10-2009, 01:10 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I have read numerous posts like SeamusC4S' - so either some forum members are making this up or some dealers are not up to speed. My guess is that it is not a required service or TSB or whatever PAG calls them, but some sort of "optional" by request service.

That or a bunch of forum members are making it up - just seems hard to believe that. Although the reports about the success of the update are not consistent; some say it helps with the abrupt downshift - others report not much if any improvement. And there are the knuckleheads like me (and probably PAG) who think it is working fine as it is.

That said, when I asked about it, my service guy had no idea either, but I didn't press him on it.

Last edited by stevepow; 09-10-2009 at 11:03 PM.

Quick Reply: PDK updates....