Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK updates....

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 01:08 PM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

When I had the PSE installed by the dealer on my Cab they said all my software was up to date based on the information available to them. This was last month. My car completed production 3/23/09. In sport mode the 2-1 downshift is very harsh when coming to a stop, as others have mentioned.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:14 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is what was done on my car when it was having HPFP and PDK communication problems:

WITH PDK, 1990 + TORQUE INTERVENTION NOT POSSIBLE, 0146 CAN TIMEOUT,0155CAN TIMEOUT CLUSTER,0418 CAN FAULT BRAKE. CAR STUCK IN EMERGENCY RUN MODE, NO REVERSE GEAR . CHECKED COMMUNICATION WITH PIWIS TESTER, CODING VERIFIED TO BE CORRECT, INSPECT WIRING CONNECTORS AT TRANSMISSION AND TRANSMISSION CONTROL UNIT, VERIFY CORRECT FLUID LEVEL IN GEARBOX. FAULTS STILL WONT ERASE, PERFORMED REPROGRAMMING PER TECH INFO ON SYMPTOMS WM 373025-PERFORMED CALIBRATION WHEN FINISHED.

So this reprogramming per tech info on WM 373025-could it be the fabled PDK programming update? And it seems that it's not a general PDK programming, but instead it is a specific fix for PDK communication problems.
Old 09-14-2009, 07:54 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I've tested it out 6-7 times in the last few days and I do NOT get any kind of thunk or abrupt 2-1 shift in Sport mode (manual or auto)...
Old 09-15-2009, 05:02 PM
JSeven
Instructor

I have a July 09 build, and the 2-1 downshift are silky smooth. Even on spireted driving while downshift from 2-1 at high revs in auto sport, it match revs perfectly without any harshness.

J.Seven
Old 09-15-2009, 05:09 PM
greenpdk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JSeven, Were you in Sport Mode when you get the smooth 2-1 shifts?
Old 09-15-2009, 05:14 PM
JSeven
Instructor

Originally Posted by greenpdk
JSeven, Were you in Sport Mode when you get the smooth 2-1 shifts?
Yes, auto sport mode.

J.Seven
Old 09-15-2009, 05:37 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JSeven
I have a July 09 build, and the 2-1 downshift are silky smooth. Even on spireted driving while downshift from 2-1 at high revs in auto sport, it match revs perfectly without any harshness.

J.Seven
Spirited driving is where it does best, it is the poking up to a stop light medium slowly that will get the hard downshift just before you would probably fully brake. It is very easy to not experience it by simply driving differently, which is why some probably don't notice it. And if you are used to shifting manually, and would actually engage 1st and let out the clutch just before coming to a stop, you might just think it is normal because that is what it feels like.

If you are used to an auto, it is going to feel like a small jolt as 1st engages...unless you are braking hard enough not to notice or going so slowly that the the shift smooths out.

Normal auto at a stop feels more like coasting up with the clutch in while easing on the brakes to stop.
Old 09-15-2009, 06:27 PM
JSeven
Instructor

Originally Posted by stevepow
Spirited driving is where it does best, it is the poking up to a stop light medium slowly that will get the hard downshift just before you would probably fully brake. It is very easy to not experience it by simply driving differently, which is why some probably don't notice it. And if you are used to shifting manually, and would actually engage 1st and let out the clutch just before coming to a stop, you might just think it is normal because that is what it feels like.

If you are used to an auto, it is going to feel like a small jolt as 1st engages...unless you are braking hard enough not to notice or going so slowly that the the shift smooths out.

Normal auto at a stop feels more like coasting up with the clutch in while easing on the brakes to stop.
I´ve just read this thread yesterday, and I was wondering how the hell in one month and 4200Km of ownership, I never notice any harsness on 2-1 downshifts. Maybe I was not very focused on this issue, but if the harshness is so hard, "I should have noticed" I said to myself.

So today, I´ve tried any possible way of 2-1 downshifts...heavy braking, very smooth braking, normal braking, let the car loose speed by it self till come to a stop, and even on ramps. My car does it in a silky smooth and confortable way, without any hint of harshness.

J.Seven
Old 09-15-2009, 08:36 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JSeven
I´ve just read this thread yesterday, and I was wondering how the hell in one month and 4200Km of ownership, I never notice any harsness on 2-1 downshifts. ...
J.Seven
Vexing.

Well, your car is an '09 build versus late '08 and you measure distance in klicks, so there's two differences I can see right off. Can't tell much else about your car from the sig - C2, C4, S???

Maybe someone else with a newer build car as well can chime in.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:31 PM
mstams
Racer

Mine is an October 2008 build C4S with SC, and I definitely still have the harsh 2-1 shift.

As mentioned before, it is only in Auto Sport when coming to a stop and can be avoided at times by harsher (usually unnatural) braking.

Since posting earlier, I have found out that my software was NOT updated -- but rather it was re-installed. So that might explain why I still have the issue.
Old 09-15-2009, 09:39 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

My 09 997.2S is at the dealer for a cracked header and it's 1st dealer service...even though I've changed the oil 3 times in 8k miles (track events). Anyway the only buliten the dealer told me was the spacer for the rear muffler mounting straps. There is no PDK update for the software I have been told yet once again. My dealer even called PCNA just to check...nope, nada, nothing from Porsche about any so called PDK update. My service adviser said he will look into it more this week while the car is there waiting for the new header.
Old 09-15-2009, 10:55 PM
canuckporsche
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

My car is a May '09 build 4s. I now have 2k km. The 2 to 1 shift in auto sport mode is rough half the time and there appears to be no obvious factor that explains why it does it when it does it. Called PCNA and reported my concerns - they will "get back to me". More people need to call them and express their disappontment. The normal auto mode is totally uninspiring to drive as the PDK shifts up too quickly and bogs when you try and accelerate. This makes getting the sport mode operating right even more important!

Last edited by canuckporsche; 09-15-2009 at 10:56 PM. Reason: missed a couple of words
Old 09-15-2009, 11:02 PM
camhabib
Instructor

That 2-1 shift is pretty normal in my experience, not just with Porsches but across various makers as well. My Audi A4 with tip has it, not as badly, and all of the Ferrari's I've been in have had it as well. I don't understand why people can accept rough upshifts but not downshifts? I've always attributed the roughness to, what is effectively, the application of an engine brake.
Old 09-16-2009, 12:07 AM
JSeven
Instructor

Originally Posted by stevepow
Vexing.

Well, your car is an '09 build versus late '08 and you measure distance in klicks, so there's two differences I can see right off. Can't tell much else about your car from the sig - C2, C4, S???

Maybe someone else with a newer build car as well can chime in.
My car is a July build 997.2 S Cab2, with PDK, LSD and some other goodies
Just update my profile and avantar

J.Seven
Old 09-16-2009, 05:18 AM
docjackson1
Three Wheelin'

i don't have a pdk, but from listening, it sounds like some of the pdks are not running perfectly. the dealers are probably trying whatever they can to fix the trannys that shift rough. i test drove a pdk and when it was in its most agressive setting (sport plus?) it seemed to shift a bit rough and at high rpm. the work order from dealer that was posted here appears that they did not know what to do-that they called a mr irish who gave them a suggestion, but is also recommending to restart the system if that didn't work. i think that the dealers are getting some new pdks that don't work perfectly and they are trying whatever they can to make the customers happy-this is new technology.

Quick Reply: PDK updates....