Sponsored by:

PDK updates....

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 02:37 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by mdrums
Chris I feel your pain bro! My car is at the dealer right now for a cracked header and it's 1st service (not really but the dealer thinks so)...I called my dealer again today about this PDK so called update. I was told once again there is no such thing and my guy who knows me pretty well by now said to me...look stop believing everything you read on the internet.

Who knows what the hek is really going on with this.
The "Internet" these days may have better information than the established channels...

PAG issued a software update last March. I know this a s a fact. I do not know the name of the service/campaign. Service depts are lazy and sometimes incapable of finding these things. It may be part of some other service/campaign and may not name PDK specifically. If I were you I would ask my service manager (not service advisor) about it and ask him to contact PCNA and learn about it.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:02 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
If I were you I would ask my service manager (not service advisor) about it and ask him to contact PCNA and learn about it.
Talked to 3 service managers at 3 dealerships who all looked into it, THERE IS NO UPDATE.
You need to provide specific information about this if you want people here to believe you, information that we can go to our dealerships with. I've harassed service managers about this f-ing phantom update to the point where they won't return my calls anymore. I want to believe you, but need specific information a dealership can punch into their service computer.
Old 09-19-2009, 03:24 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The "Internet" these days may have better information than the established channels...

PAG issued a software update last March. I know this a s a fact. I do not know the name of the service/campaign. Service depts are lazy and sometimes incapable of finding these things. It may be part of some other service/campaign and may not name PDK specifically. If I were you I would ask my service manager (not service advisor) about it and ask him to contact PCNA and learn about it.
How do you know this? You seem to have access to some details that are not common.

It may be part of some other service/campaign and may not name PDK specifically.
Yet, that bit makes it sound vague again.

If there's some inside info you have that you cannot share, that's cool - like "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you".

I reckon what people are looking for is some sort of reference to anything substantial that could be handed to service so they'd know what this "PDK update" is. Until we have that, it is a matter of faith, not fact.

My experience with non-computer people is that terms like "update" could mean anything from "completely new version" to "minor patch" to "re-installed same stuff already installed".

So far what I see on this:

1 - many '09 owners thinking they experience an abrupt 2/1 downshift - pretty sure we can call this fact, not sure we can call this a problem - seems like by design.
2 - one '10 owner who doesn't experience it - not sure what to make of this other than "a single point does not define a line" - need more '10 owners to chime in.
3 - one '09 owner saying the problem is getting worse and now occurs on the 3/2 shift - don't know what to make of this either.
4 - NO '09 PDK owner's attesting to any fix that has eliminated the abrupt 2/1 shift - if you are one and I missed you, speak up and hopefully you kept you service papers and can list exactly what was done.

What else?
Old 09-19-2009, 03:36 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Only software update that is official, was the PCM update to V1.4!!
Old 09-19-2009, 04:23 PM
JSeven
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by larrytrk
Only software update that is official, was the PCM update to V1.4!!
What update is that? Can you tell us?
My PCM doesn´t show the Porsche logo when I switch on the PCM system!! And it should show. On every 30 times I switch on the PCM, Porsche logo only shows once. I have contacted my dealer and took my car there, but they said their machine had a problem, and they couldn´t read anything.
Maybe this update can correct this problem. Would like to hear what other 997.2 owners have to say about this, does Porsche logo shows when you switch on PCM?

I suggest all of you that have 2-1 harsh downshift, try to make a test drive in one of their 2010 models available for test drives. I know not all of them have test cars available, but I´m sure some will have it soon. My car is silky smooth, to the point of not noticing when the 2-1 downshift happens. Yesterday I found myself not looking at the speedometer in order to feel when the 2-1 would occur, sometimes I wouldn´t even notice, it´s smooth as that. Ofcourse you can notice sometimes which is perfectly normal, but even so, they are smooth. So for sure there must have been some PDK softaware improvements.

J.Seven
Old 09-19-2009, 04:27 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by stevepow
How do you know this? You seem to have access to some details that are not common.

Yet, that bit makes it sound vague again.

If there's some inside info you have that you cannot share, that's cool - like "I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you".

I reckon what people are looking for is some sort of reference to anything substantial that could be handed to service so they'd know what this "PDK update" is. Until we have that, it is a matter of faith, not fact.

My experience with non-computer people is that terms like "update" could mean anything from "completely new version" to "minor patch" to "re-installed same stuff already installed".

So far what I see on this:

1 - many '09 owners thinking they experience an abrupt 2/1 downshift - pretty sure we can call this fact, not sure we can call this a problem - seems like by design.
2 - one '10 owner who doesn't experience it - not sure what to make of this other than "a single point does not define a line" - need more '10 owners to chime in.
3 - one '09 owner saying the problem is getting worse and now occurs on the 3/2 shift - don't know what to make of this either.
4 - NO '09 PDK owner's attesting to any fix that has eliminated the abrupt 2/1 shift - if you are one and I missed you, speak up and hopefully you kept you service papers and can list exactly what was done.

What else?

My information came last March from someone who deals with Werks 1 in Zuffenhausen. I know people in Europe who had their PDK software refreshed. Several people on this board reported the same. What else do you need? The fact that some dealers deny it and are ignorant about it does not mean it does not exist... Do not shoot the messenger. I could care less, as my 2010 (to arrive soon) already has the changes built-in.

P.S. - I never stated that the software update eliminates the slight 2-to-1 jerk in Sport mode. I never considered that an issue in any case and it always surprises to read about it from sports cars drivers...
Old 09-19-2009, 04:49 PM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

What else do you need?
em, evidence maybe - some documentation?

Do not shoot the messenger - right, not my intention. Just looking to find terra firma in a this cow pasture.

P.S. - I never stated that the software update eliminates the slight 2-to-1 jerk in Sport mode.
"these are not the droids you are looking for"
Old 09-19-2009, 05:30 PM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My information came last March from someone who deals with Werks 1 in Zuffenhausen. I know people in Europe who had their PDK software refreshed. Several people on this board reported the same. What else do you need? The fact that some dealers deny it and are ignorant about it does not mean it does not exist...
Okay, just what I thought, your information is nothing more than hearsay. You claim to know a lot for someone who doesn't own a 997, have a PDK, or has ever taken their 997-2 PDK in for this claimed update. I would suggest you stop misleading people on this forum.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:06 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by todd.
Okay, just what I thought, your information is nothing more than hearsay. You claim to know a lot for someone who doesn't own a 997, have a PDK, or has ever taken their 997-2 PDK in for this claimed update. I would suggest you stop misleading people on this forum.
It is not hearsay. I wonder why some of us try to help others on this forum... Give me a break!
Old 09-19-2009, 07:54 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Adias, I have done all that...drove my 3 area dealers crazy who have been in contact with PCNA...there is no PDK update I have been told numerous times.

Until I see a service bulletin with the corresponding number posted on the internet I will believe there is no PDK update software program.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:59 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

It is not hearsay. I wonder why some of us try to help others on this forum... Give me a break!
Adias, could you please contact your friend at Werks 1 and get the PDK Software Update Service Bulletin number?

that would help us all out a lot...Thanks! Mike
Old 09-19-2009, 09:16 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Todd, how about we back off the harshness a little. A Dias is trying to do us a service, nothing more.

Thanks,
Old 09-19-2009, 10:01 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

where is stoppie when you need him? He had my car 'updated' when I bought it. I am going to search the threads for this....more at 11!
Old 09-19-2009, 10:21 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

ok...found it...

So this is what my Master Tech Jim McFarland said:

"It's NOT a P-TECH, recall or open claim issue. PAG/PCNA downloads the latest version of software in to our system, and when we hook it up to the car it either takes it (the download) or not. Think of it as an update you recieve for windows. Your system either had the latest version or not."

So my guess is; becase Porsche does not offer any cut off dates; if you have an earlier PDK, tell them *your dealer* to hook it up and see if it takes it.

Good luck.

(In this scenario, Dr. Kerns car was build in December of 08, for reference).
Old 09-19-2009, 10:47 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DRJMK
ok...found it...

So this is what my Master Tech Jim McFarland said:

"It's NOT a P-TECH, recall or open claim issue. PAG/PCNA downloads the latest version of software in to our system, and when we hook it up to the car it either takes it (the download) or not. Think of it as an update you recieve for windows. Your system either had the latest version or not."

So my guess is; becase Porsche does not offer any cut off dates; if you have an earlier PDK, tell them *your dealer* to hook it up and see if it takes it.

Good luck.

(In this scenario, Dr. Kerns car was build in December of 08, for reference).
Thanks! That's what I inferred. It is in all probability a hidden update that is not listed, but applied when the PIWIS is connected. The last 09 production [some time after March (maybe later) already has the new control software].

Last edited by ADias; 09-20-2009 at 02:19 AM.

Quick Reply: PDK updates....